Taylor 314ce.. Worth my money?? Any comparable alternatives?

Chadk808

Saving up for a new "good" acoustic. I've only owned mid-tier guitars since I started and I'm ready to take a couple steps up the quality ladder. Been pretty set on spending my money on a Taylor 314ce for a while now. Tried it out at my local shop a couple days ago and I liked it. Great sound and playability. The neck was just a liiiiiiiitle bit thick... not too thick.... just a little meaty. That's something I can definitely get used to though. And the cutaway is pretty much a must for me at this point.

I'm just wondering if there's something out there that I might rather spend my hard earned money on. I know the Martins are pretty tight too. I honestly haven't really done too much research on other acoustic guitars besides the Taylors. I'm hoping to get some suggestions/ideas/recommendations. Your response is hugely appreciated.

What do you guys think??

Not quite the same but, I bought a Martin classical 2 months ago and I love it. The
Sound, the feel, it resonates just enough, not the dead thud I had on my last POS
Classical, and of course I bought the name because I don't know much about acoustics.
I have an old Ovation, I like the way it sounds but the back side drives me crazy, slipping
And sliding off my lap, against my chest.
That said, my buddy swears by Taylor, it's not a classical but I kinda regret buying the Martin
Now because his has a sweetness to it, it's real full and open sounding.

I'd go with the Taylor, not sure what your spending but I spent $1500 and my buddy bought
His used for $800.

Hope that helps.

Chadk808":30tpafww said:
Saving up for a new "good" acoustic. I've only owned mid-tier guitars since I started and I'm ready to take a couple steps up the quality ladder. Been pretty set on spending my money on a Taylor 314ce for a while now. Tried it out at my local shop a couple days ago and I liked it. Great sound and playability. The neck was just a liiiiiiiitle bit thick... not too thick.... just a little meaty. That's something I can definitely get used to though. And the cutaway is pretty much a must for me at this point.

I'm just wondering if there's something out there that I might rather spend my hard earned money on. I know the Martins are pretty tight too. I honestly haven't really done too much research on other acoustic guitars besides the Taylors. I'm hoping to get some suggestions/ideas/recommendations. Your response is hugely appreciated.

What do you guys think??

I Love the Taylor 314CE. I think they are great great value for the money. I'd look around and buy used. You can get them for about $1000 or sometimes less.If I didn't buy used, I would order without the pickup system and install an the one I wanted. Lots of people don't like the expression system that comes in it. I'd put an anthem SL in it.

Martins are great but they are a totally different sound. Taylors have a very distinct tone as well. So you need to make sure that's the sound you want.

If you like the Taylor tone, 314CE is like their stadard guitar, and a great value. They sound great both plugged&unpluuged.
I got a new '12 for $1250 you can get them used from $800-1200 depends on the years and conditions.
Some like 414CE too although it costs bit more, I actually prefered 314CE for it's brightness and I liked the feel of no binding on the neck. I'd say try many brands before the final decision, martin, takamine, larrivee, breedlove...

I like mine ... just make sure you humidify it VERY WELL ... mine split right down the middle even with proper humidification and being kept in the case (I didn't even play it that much).

I got mine fixed and it's OK but they seem to be very prone top separation ... unless I got a particularly shitty made one.

In contrast, my buddy's cheap-o Yamaha that he takes no care of whatsoever, does not have a hairline crack on it ...

My neighbor has a 314ce. I really enjoy playing the guitar when I go to his house. Plays well, sounds great !

Here's my .02 after spending many years working in music retail trying to find the right "keeper" acoustic for me.

First, decide how this guitar is likely to be predominately used. Playing at home, coffee house gigs, live band work, playing around the campfire, studio, etc.

I think that for live use, it's hard to beat a Taylor. The Expression system is hands down the best pickup/preamp system that I've ever come across. It excels in live situations and is easily the most realistic sounding of any that I've used (which is essentially all of the high-end systems). Ordering a Taylor without it would be like ordering a new Ferrari without the engine...stupid. Taylor will also have the most playable necks that you're likely to come across. If you think it's on the large size, don't even consider picking up a Martin, Gibson, Guild, etc.

That said, IMO most Taylor acoustics have a thin, "zingy" acoustic sound and don't do as well in a non-amplified environment...this is where a similar Martin will walk all over it tonally. If you think you'll be doing more unplugged playing, you may want to look at something other than the Taylor. They actually tend to sound ok at first...that extra zing can sound different in a good way, until you compare it to a Martin and/or play along side of one and get buried by it. I've seen it happen enough times that I'll go as far as to say its no longer just my opinion.

The brand that I settled on was Breedlove. They are kind of like the best of both worlds from Taylor (playability) and Martin (tone) acoustically, but I still like the Taylor Expression system better for plugged in use.

I own a 714CE and it is a nice guitar. Plays like a dream, but as rupe stated, it does have a "zingy' acoustic sound and IMO is not as full as a typically Martin, but it suits me. I actually really like it and wanted something that was different than a Martin or Guild. I would love to checkout a Breedlove though.

I used to have a Taylor 614ce and loved it. Had to sell it a few years ago..I was in the market for something recently and used taylors were still out of my reach financially.
I ended up with a Breedlove Atlas Series Stage J350/EFe Jumbo new $949 and love it..Has a big sound and reminds me alot of my Taylor..I heard the builder worked for Taylor, but not sure .

Sweet! Thanks for all the info guys.

Yea, I live in Maui and we don't really have a big selection of acoustic guitars. I'd love to try out the Breedloves but would have to get out to the mainland to do so. No biggie though. I'll probably end up rolling the dice and order the Taylor in a few months.

Thanks again guys!!!!

Try the Martin performing artist series, particularly the 4 or the 3 series. Really nice alternative to Taylor with that smokey Martin signature tone. Active or passive preamps they use both sound great!

Luke

rupe":1hwedrch said:
Here's my .02 after spending many years working in music retail trying to find the right "keeper" acoustic for me.

First, decide how this guitar is likely to be predominately used. Playing at home, coffee house gigs, live band work, playing around the campfire, studio, etc.

I think that for live use, it's hard to beat a Taylor. The Expression system is hands down the best pickup/preamp system that I've ever come across. It excels in live situations and is easily the most realistic sounding of any that I've used (which is essentially all of the high-end systems). Ordering a Taylor without it would be like ordering a new Ferrari without the engine...stupid. Taylor will also have the most playable necks that you're likely to come across. If you think it's on the large size, don't even consider picking up a Martin, Gibson, Guild, etc.

That said, IMO most Taylor acoustics have a thin, "zingy" acoustic sound and don't do as well in a non-amplified environment...this is where a similar Martin will walk all over it tonally. If you think you'll be doing more unplugged playing, you may want to look at something other than the Taylor. They actually tend to sound ok at first...that extra zing can sound different in a good way, until you compare it to a Martin and/or play along side of one and get buried by it. I've seen it happen enough times that I'll go as far as to say its no longer just my opinion.

The brand that I settled on was Breedlove. They are kind of like the best of both worlds from Taylor (playability) and Martin (tone) acoustically, but I still like the Taylor Expression system better for plugged in use.

While I love the Taylors, lots of people don't like the expression system. Say they have a funky midrange thing going on. Truth is if you're playing live with a decent mixer, some compression and EQ, you can get an excellent sound out of even an undersaddle pickup. Which of course the expression system is way better than. But honestly some of the after market systems like the anthem SL sound very good. While I do like the expression system (particularly the newer ones) the after stuff like the Anthem can sound just as good or better.

I did play some breedloves, but ended up with the Taylor.

Are you looking to buy new or used? I haven't played the 314 but I have a 414 that has a pretty thin neck. A used one would probably be cheaper than a new 314.

iggs":2xqq7t1w said:
I like mine ... just make sure you humidify it VERY WELL ... mine split right down the middle even with proper humidification and being kept in the case (I didn't even play it that much).

I got mine fixed and it's OK but they seem to be very prone top separation ... unless I got a particularly shitty made one.

In contrast, my buddy's cheap-o Yamaha that he takes no care of whatsoever, does not have a hairline crack on it ...

Interesting you mention this. I've had four, yes FOUR friends with various types of Taylors have their tops split on them. From the bridge back to the base of the guitar. I've come to the conclusion that it's the desert that destroys them. I'm in Phoenix.
I have a Martin and I know guys that own just about everything, but the Taylors are the only ones with the problem.
One guys was only four months old and Taylor wanted him to send it to them to fix. I told him hell no, make them replace it. He sent it for the fix. Whatever, not my guitar. :no:
I would NEVER own one. :doh:

I have a '90 615, which is a non cutaway jumbo. It has no electronics and is amazing. It plays like all Taylors and sounds huge, like a piano. There is no thin, zingy sound. It is absolutely huge sounding. I picked it up for 1k a few years ago. You can still find them occasionally, for fair prices. I don't think Taylor makes non cutaway jumbos anymore, but it is worth looking for them because they are insanely good. Very much like a Gibson J200, but they play like a Taylor.

Badronald":1d2en3xl said:
iggs":1d2en3xl said:

Interesting you mention this. I've had four, yes FOUR friends with various types of Taylors have their tops split on them. From the bridge back to the base of the guitar. I've come to the conclusion that it's the desert that destroys them. I'm in Phoenix.
I have a Martin and I know guys that own just about everything, but the Taylors are the only ones with the problem.
One guys was only four months old and Taylor wanted him to send it to them to fix. I told him hell no, make them replace it. He sent it for the fix. Whatever, not my guitar. :no:
You're assessment is spot on. Taylors have thinner tops and are much more prone to cracking without careful consideration for proper humidification. When I lived in CO, I was told by a trusted source not bother with a Taylor due to the extreme low humidity.

rupe":74s0noff said:
Badronald":74s0noff said:
iggs":74s0noff said:

You're assessment is spot on. Taylors have thinner tops and are much more prone to cracking without careful consideration for proper humidification. When I lived in CO, I was told by a trusted source not bother with a Taylor due to the extreme low humidity.

Correct. Humidification is the only way you can own a Taylor here.
I've had my old Martin for 20 years or so and have never humidified it or had to do a set up. Perfect.
My buddy has a '72 J200 never humidified. Lived its entire life in the desert.
Perfect guitar.

Back