TC Electronic Questions?

rsm

G-Force. I haven't heard much about this unit. This looks like its been around awhile. How long? Has it been upgraded at all? No editor? How does it compare to the new G-Major 2 or G-System (besides having a foot controller or not) for effects / quality ? Is it worth the price?

Anyone have / had a G-Force?

:confused:

edit: fixed dumb statement :aww:

My opinion might be skewed all over the place, but I won't use TC stuff below the 2290, 1210, 1140, 2240, or 1128, etc.

I had a fireworx that took FOOOOOORRREEEVVVEERRR to change presets, and it was made in Denmark. It didn't have the same flawless, colour-free sound of the 2290 either. :thumbsdown:

The G Force looks so similar, I just probably won't ever buy one. :aww: :no:

Gene, thanks for the info. Just doing my research on effect processor options. Still thinking Axe-Fx Ultra though its more than the price of the G-Force or G-System. I'm not a big effects user though, so the Nova System would probably work just fine for me. The Ultra amp/cab sims are also what I want. Still saving the pennies, and doing the research!

FYI you can't get the G-system without the foot controller. The rack part comes mounted *in* the foot controller stock but you can mount it in a separate rack case so that your cable runs are short and pedals in the loops are out of the way and off the floor, which is how I've got it setup. There is no LCD screen on the rack unit for the g system as you do all the controlling/editing on the floor unit (unless you're using the computer editor).

'63-Strat":1vvg7k0c said:
FYI you can't get the G-system without the foot controller. The rack part comes mounted *in* the foot controller stock but you can mount it in a separate rack case so that your cable runs are short and pedals in the loops are out of the way and off the floor, which is how I've got it setup. There is no LCD screen on the rack unit for the g system as you do all the controlling/editing on the floor unit (unless you're using the computer editor).

Yes, my original post was not clear, I meant to say that I was interested in comparisons of the effects, regardless if the unit had a foot controller or not.

I believe that the G-System is the G-Force in a floor module. No? The G-Force is T.C.'s flagship rack unit.

I've had a GForce for 10+years...longer than any other piece of gear. I love the way it sounds and it's control capabilites are unending. I still have the original software version but there are later updates...I think they added an EQ to it later on as well. In all the years I've owned it it's never let me down. People complain about the lack of spillover...but they haven't figured out how to configure it properly.

I also own an AxeFX....and I'd probably make the switch (just so I could have a backup when my amp stops working) if I could get CC Pedals to work the way I'm used to.

SFW":pjvucla0 said:
I believe that the G-System is the G-Force in a floor module. No? The G-Force is T.C.'s flagship rack unit.

No, it's a modified version of the G Major processor. Not nearly as good sounding as the G Force. I was on the phone with TC yesterday in depth about the G system(he kind of talked me out of buying it). I have a G Force and it's amazing in every aspect.It changes presets immediately with no lag. The Fireworx is actually a studio piece, not intended for guitar racks.
RRBH

RockNRollBabyHead":hv2ucug7 said:
SFW":hv2ucug7 said:

No, it's a modified version of the G Major processor. Not nearly as good sounding as the G Force. I was on the phone with TC yesterday in depth about the G system(he kind of talked me out of buying it). I have a G Force and it's amazing in every aspect.It changes presets immediately with no lag. The Fireworx is actually a studio piece, not intended for guitar racks.
RRBH

Definitely not my understanding. Nor Tore's on the gear page, who works for TC. The G-system does have the g force algorithms in it. The main difference/advantage with the G-force is the flexibility of the fx blocks routing within the unit and some additional modifiers (neither of which were important to me but no doubt are to some). However the major drawback of the g force is that you can't use the four cable method so that you can put some fx in front of the amp and some in the loop. I take it you've a/b'd them?

edit: Most of the complaints I've read of the g system have been from people's inability to set up the levels correctly, and admittedly, that can be tricky to get it done right. I don't want to start any flame wars here but let's just say there are plenty of guys who use them on this board who are monster players and get great tone in the real world like Peter Thorn and Andrew (van hellion). YMMV.

I'll throw in that I also spent some significant time with a Gsystem...the idea of having some effects out front appealed to me. IMO the two did not sound the same...

Thinking more about it...why would they be the same? The GForce and System are the same price right? But the Gsystem comes with a foot controller?

not sure about the Gforce, but I still love my G-system dude. does everything I could want, sounds great, and its fully contained.

So the G-Force software can be upgraded then? I didn't see that feature, but I also haven't read through the entire manual. There aren't any software upgrades for the G-Force listed on the software upgrade page either?

I've had a G-Force and G-Major and now just picked up a G-Major 2.
They all are fine. The G-Force is a little more reliable and robust.

I am one of the one's that don't like the G-Forces spillover...yes it has spillover, yes it works but not as good as the G-Major or G-Major2.

With the G-Major and 2 I can have a solo patch with a 500ms delay, hit a CC make it go to 750ms, louder and increase the feedback on the last note of a solo, then go back into a rhythm patch that has a 450ms delay while spilling over the 750ms at the same time.
The G-Force does a spillover but you have to go into a patch that has the exact same delay settings but OFF. This was too inconvenient for me, because I use spillovers alot. I would have to make a "safe" patch on each bank of my GCP for the spillover then wait until the spillover finished before I could change to my normal rhythm patch that has a 500ms delay(at a very low mix level). It was an extra step and a wasted patch in each bank. A pain for me.

The G-Force is a stellar unit but I prefer the features of the G-Major. I run my G-Major in parallel through a Minimix so I don't notice any quality difference in the sound as compared to a G-Force. This is merely my opinion.

The G-Major 2 has the spillover features of the G-Major but has intelligent pitch shifting and some other goodies.
I mostly use pitch detune, delay and reverb and run in parallel, so it works really well for me.
I've gone from using an Eventide H3000se for pitch detune and several delay units to achieve a constant decent chorus type sound with spillover delays. I don't miss the big rack and the G-Major stuff does a fine job in recreating what I used to have.

Of course I am seriously eyeing the AxeFx, too.

Mark

Audioholic":1qdd420z said:
not sure about the Gforce, but I still love my G-system dude. does everything I could want, sounds great, and its fully contained.

:D

I hear ya, I'm just trying to figure out the major differences at the price points. G-Force has been around awhile, and I like the fact that it is a rack unit - but it isn't clear if it can support CC or effect on/off or parameter change from a MIDI controller like the G-System.

I looked a bit closer at the Nova System. It has effects from the G-System, can be run in preset or pedal board modes, is software upgradeable and has an analog drive section, all for much less than the G-System or G-Force. The pedal board mode is really interesting ( I know Digitech and other's have this too, but they don't have the TC effects :no: ) The Nova System is at the same price as the G-Major 2?

From price then,

Its G-System vs. G-Force
or Nova System vs. G-Major 2

:confused: I've a bunch of reading to do, they to find units to try before buying...

samhill":1w0hqcm2 said:
I am one of the one's that don't like the G-Forces spillover...yes it has spillover, yes it works but not as good as the G-Major or G-Major2.

With the G-Major and 2 I can have a solo patch with a 500ms delay, hit a CC make it go to 750ms, louder and increase the feedback on the last note of a solo, then go back into a rhythm patch that has a 450ms delay while spilling over the 750ms at the same time.
The G-Force does a spillover but you have to go into a patch that has the exact same delay settings but OFF. This was too inconvenient for me, because I use spillovers alot. I would have to make a "safe" patch on each bank of my GCP for the spillover then wait until the spillover finished before I could change to my normal rhythm patch that has a 500ms delay(at a very low mix level). It was an extra step and a wasted patch in each bank. A pain for me.

Mark

You can achieve this with the dual line delays in the Gforce, no problem.

Bantam Menace":1un8wrcb said:

LOL, where were you when I was asking this question when I owned it.
I even contacted TC....they told me it couldn't be done. They said the next patch had to have EXACTLY the same settings but set to INACTIVE.
Please explain further, so I can get it :)

Mark

rsm":rkygb8jn said:
Audioholic":rkygb8jn said:

:D

I hear ya, I'm just trying to figure out the major differences at the price points. G-Force has been around awhile, and I like the fact that it is a rack unit - but it isn't clear if it can support CC or effect on/off or parameter change from a MIDI controller like the G-System.

I looked a bit closer at the Nova System. It has effects from the G-System, can be run in preset or pedal board modes, is software upgradeable and has an analog drive section, all for much less than the G-System or G-Force. The pedal board mode is really interesting ( I know Digitech and other's have this too, but they don't have the TC effects :no: ) The Nova System is at the same price as the G-Major 2?

From price then,

Its G-System vs. G-Force
or Nova System vs. G-Major 2

:confused: I've a bunch of reading to do, they to find units to try before buying...

CC's are no problem, nor is spill over on all the delays if the software is updated. The software update is done with a card. You can either buy it from TC for $80 and return it for a refund after the update, or send in your own card and they will put the update on your card.
A lot of people do not dig into the capabilities of the G Force. There are many sub menus that are never even seen on it.
The G System is a G Major with more tweakability, but still has the same AD/DA converters as the G Major. This is where the Force's extra money is.
If you run a wet/dry rig, you'll notice very little difference. But if used in a loop, it's a big difference.
Or for $1400 you can get an Eventide Eclipse :yes:

Bantam Menace":3d9yetb5 said:
samhill":3d9yetb5 said:

Mark

All the delays if the next patch uses the same "type" of delay.
From TC
"Smooth preset change using Delay spillover:
When using long Delay times, Effects spillover can be used to achieve smooth preset changes. By using the same Delay sub-algorithm in the presets you are switching between, and setting Mute mode to “Fx In” and bypassing the current block, the long Delay from e.g. a solo sound can gently fade even after you have switched to a dry clean sound with no Delay."

Back