Tell me about Redplate amps

Never heard of them, and was offered one in a trade. A CS2. Any comparisons besides Fender circuits?

The CDS2 is a great sounding amp that can do a variety of Fender tones and at any volume level. Black, brown, tweed. Great FX loop too. Won't do metal but gets a bunch of cool classic rock tones.

Any comparisons besides Fender circuits?
No, they unashamedly do the Fender thing. Nice amps, but hard to get excited about such amps when there's 30 companies, including Fender, making this type of thing.

I do like their OTT marketing though:

RedPlate Amps is one of only a handful of truly custom, hand-wired guitar amplifier manufacturers in the world.

I wonder what they consider a handful.

I had a Redplate Blackverb combo at home for a trial before buying. It was a nice sounding amp but I returned it after the trial. I had already a Marshall amps that covered most of the amps sound.

I was excited to play a Redplate Magica once. I had read a lot about how great of an amp it is.
It sounded pretty big for a 1x12 combo, with a nice clean channel that could get to plexi crunch and a gain channel that would get pretty gainy. It was a thick and meaty, really middy tone. Not a tight n bright amp. It had a few switches to change the overall feel, sound and output wattage.
The build quality was good, from what I could tell.
Ultimately, while a good sounding amp, the Marshally sounds weren't in line with my tastes.

Last edited:
Back