Tell Me About Super Sport

Junk Yard Dog

How does this one feel? Is it a bit more saturated compared to the other Splawn amps? What about a 50watt SS? Can you saturate it pretty well with a clean boost vs a mid boost?

I have the Supersport El-34 model. Mine is fully loaded, mid cut new/old, solo boost.
I was using a JVM 210H, but was looking for something easier to carry around but still had enough balls to it
so it didn't feel like a neutered version of a larger head.
IMO the Splawn does a better 2204 than the JVM does. I use a clean boost with mine and it works great . I can go from Thin Lizzy to Allman Brothers to Stevie Ray Vaughn to Nevermore, with this thing. I use the Fractal FX8 and with all the OD's in that thing and EQ's I have mine set up to cover a pretty wide range of tones. I pretty much live in "old" mode it's more aggressive sounding to me. and this is the loudest freaking 50 watt amp I think I've ever heard.

Not much help on specifics but what really turned me on to Splawn was a 50 watt SuperSport head a guest guitarist brought to a band practice for an old band I was in.

Amazing distortion sounds, cut right through, edgy but not harsh, I was blown away. Did my research and ended up with a StreetRod combo and haven't looked back. The StreetRod sounds really good clean too, not a Fender but very good. Can't speak for the clean on the SuperSport, the guy who had one liked his distortion, never heard the clean.

Be aware the Supersport only has two gears and only changeable through the footswitch. Shared EQ too between the two channels.

The clean on mine is pretty nice, I keep the gain up around 1:00 and it sounds great (much better than the clean channel on the JVM)
Yup, apparently Scott really improved the clean channel before 2010 I think... before the clean sounds weren't so great but they are quite good now!

There is a noticeable difference between the 6v6 and EL34 version. The 6v6 compresses quickly compared to the EL34. In my personal experience, this allows a much broader sweep in level of overdrive with the EL34. The 6v6 was a tad more Fender'ish, whereas the El34 is an improved Marshall clean.

The 6v6 overdrive is nice, but the EL34 just covers more bases, is much more dynamic and a warmth that doesn't cause ear fatigue at high volume. It's worth the difference.

Example tones I get: the Brown Sound, Classis Metal, Slash Tone, SRV, RHCP, Eagles, 80s Hair, Bonnamassa, Eric Johnson, Allmans, Rolling Stones, Alt-Rock, etc.

Does it djent? Heck, I dunno.

Last edited:
There is a noticeable difference between the 6v6 and EL34 version. The 6v6 compresses quickly compared to the EL34. In my personal experience, this allows a much broader sweep in level of overdrive with the EL34. The 6v6 was a tad more Fender'ish, whereas the El34 is an improved Marshall clean.

The 6v6 overdrive is nice, but the EL34 just covers more bases, is much more dynamic and a warmth that doesn't cause ear fatigue at high volume. It's worth the difference.

Example tones I get: the Brown Sound, Classis Metal, Slash Tone, SRV, RHCP, Eagles, 80s Hair, Bonnamassa, Eric Johnson, Allmans, Rolling Stones, Alt-Rock, etc.

Does it djent? Heck, I dunno.
Pretty much covers it all I'd say!

Back