Tell me about the 6505+ combo

gtrplr71

I found a great deal on one but I have heard the cleans are not the greatest. what is the best description of the tones?

gtrplr71":1fews31r said:
I found a great deal on one but I have heard the cleans are not the greatest. what is the best description of the tones?

For the price to me, they're one of the best combos out there......the cleans aren't great, but the Lead channel is where I spend 99% of my time, and with a decently equipped guitar you can just flip to the neck and roll back vol and/or tone and have a decent clean; to me, that means something like a Slash 'November Rain solo tone'....that's not really this amp's forte, but it does a fairly good imitation. Is it a deep chimey clean? No...but it does let the sound of your guitar come thru...on my LPs its a nice deep woody tone with good note separation that blends together with some good crunch.

On the flip side, for the money you get one of the most brutal low mid-voiced gain channels on the planet...put a 10 band EQ in the loop and you have total control. I won't play it without one.

I don't really like it as well with actives; sounds kind of sterile to me, but it can do aggressive chugging with an EMG 81 all day long...I like it better with passives...this thing kills with some BKPs.

Anything $300 or under, you should snag it and then grab an EQ for the loop. If you don't really like low voiced mids and you don't play metal, don't bother. You probably won't like it and you won't make your $ back. Plus you can't ship it to sell it, cause it's a fuckin tank and would cost almost 2 bills to do so. :D

EDIT: wanted to add this because its my only gripe about this amp. It's loud. VERY loud. If you're looking for a bedroom amp, make sure you get the EQ and realize you're never gonna turn it up past 2. At 3 it'll shake your walls.

Dude let me know if you get one....the stock speaker kinda sucks, but I upgraded mine to a Celestion Hot 100 and it's great.....I don't use it any more as I run thru cabs at home, but I'd make you a good deal on it if you wanted it.

Back