The 1st to start relic'd guitars

GuitarGuy08

So this is probably one of the most controversial posts I will ever make and I am not certain I am ready for what is to come after but here we go:

As I've aged (32 now), something about relic'd guitars finally has some appeal to me. Now this isn't really important in the grand scheme of things.

I will not namey friend at this time but he is an older guitar shop owner and has done legendary restoration work and such in guitars.

He opened his shop in my town when I was about 15. I've been buddies with him ever since.

So, talking with my friend the other day about how I finally am digging the look of these relic'd guitars and stuff and he says "Oh, did you know I was the first to do that?"

WHAT?

Say again?

I am going to butcher his story and will write it down fresh to post soon from his mouth.

Yeah, I was the first to do that. I started beating them up and having finish reveals and all of that. My work was so good that I found a man selling one of my builds as a real 50s strat at a guitar show years later. I confronted him about it and proved it by showing him my "Air**** Guitars" logo that was still on the back of the headstock.

My buddy was visited by the Fender custom shop, who took a ton of photos of his work and asked him all sorts of data about how he did it. The next year, the Fender custom shop released 'their new idea'.

He said he never revealed his secrets again. He was just excited someone was taking notice of his work and learned that lesson.

He's close to Billy Gibbons and all sorts of other music legends and I've really enjoyed learning and listening to him.

I contacted KDH, a YouTube channel, to see if he wanted to do a story on this as, in my opinion, it's a bit controversial!

Anyhow, I will try to get a more complete story posted but this is the corr of what comes to mind.

I only learned this within the past year and have known him for 17.

Edit: I know he claims to be the first to take Strats and make them period relic'd think he may have done other guitars but mostly Strats for sure. There may have been other people relicing in general, not certain. He started that thing where it's like a sunburst that was painted over with blue and then reveal the sunburst beneath with relic work and such. Will try to get further details from him.

Last edited:
So this is probably one of the most controversial posts I will ever make and I am not certain I am ready for what is to come after but here we go:

As I've aged (32 now), something about relic'd guitars finally has some appeal to me. Now this isn't really important in the grand scheme of things.

I will not namey friend at this time but he is an older guitar shop owner and has done legendary restoration work and such in guitars.

He opened his shop in my town when I was about 15. I've been buddies with him ever since.

So, talking with my friend the other day about how I finally am digging the look of these relic'd guitars and stuff and he says "Oh, did you know I was the first to do that?"

WHAT?

Say again?

I am going to butcher his story and will write it down fresh to post soon from his mouth.

Yeah, I was the first to do that. I started beating them up and having finish reveals and all of that. My work was so good that I found a man selling one of my builds as a real 50s strat at a guitar show years later. I confronted him about it and proved it by showing him my "Air**** Guitars" logo that was still on the back of the headstock.

My buddy was visited by the Fender custom shop, who took a ton of photos of his work and asked him all sorts of data about how he did it. The next year, the Fender custom shop released 'their new idea'.

He said he never revealed his secrets again. He was just excited someone was taking notice of his work and learned that lesson.

He's close to Billy Gibbons and all sorts of other music legends and I've really enjoyed learning and listening to him.

I contacted KDH, a YouTube channel, to see if he wanted to do a story on this as, in my opinion, it's a bit controversial!

Anyhow, I will try to get a more complete story posted but this is the corr of what comes to mind.

I only learned this within the past year and have known him for 17.
Is KDH the dude who does the audio audits who said that irritating YouTuber Stevie T is some sort of pervert or exposing young children to inappropriate content?

I met a guy a couple of years ago who said he knew me from back in the 80's.
I had no idea who he was,and told him not only did I not remember him but that he was full of shit.
Then he mentioned a certain dope dealer and it all came flooding back to me.

Is KDH the dude who does the audio audits who said that irritating YouTuber Stevie T is some sort of pervert or exposing young children to inappropriate content?
Yes, I just figured he would be able to get some good data and then line it all out. I think it could be interesting as a short video or something but idk. I like some of his other content

Back