the 90's were so awesome

90's was the last decade of music that had any semblance of a style. And that style was mostly watered down and rehashed 60's, 70's, 80's stuff.

Well i still have bad hair days, and doing repairs around the house, i still look like the 90s are still alive.:ROFLMAO:
No spandex, glitter and hairspray / air blower look for me. The 80s, dead for good.

Really wasn't into the "Nu Metal" thing, but the mid-90's changed the course of (my type) metal in some really interesting and exciting ways:

Entombed - Wolverine Blues
Carcass - Heartwork
Sepultura - Chaos A.D.
Machine Head - Burn My Eyes
At The Gates - Slaughter Of The Soul
Fairh No More - Angel Dust
Paradise Lost - Draconian Times
Pantera - Far Beyond Driven
Fear Factory - Demanufacture
Ministry - Psalm 69

Just to name a few....amazing.
What cracks me up is how much the sounds from some of those, were from utter shit setups.

Then you'll have people wanting to drop thousands to sound like them

For example, pretty sure ATG SotS was a pedal into a homemade cab. Pantera was just classic solid state randall.

Then, you'll see people like "Which $4000 should i consider to get this sound like a metalzone plugged into a trash can"

90s music for me is
Eric Johnson
Dream Theater
Tool
Pantera
STP
AIC
and a bunch of others I still like.

TBH, for me it was my last decade of good new music. I can’t think of many new bands since that I still like. But that’s probably somewhat normal at a certain age.

I didn’t mind the 90’s, not so much the music. Had alot of fun gigging, recording, going to GIT. Some of the music is cool, alot of it was pretty bad, same as the 80’s. 70’s music is king for me.

IMHO pop and rock peaked quality-wise from the late '70s through to the early '90s and it all went to shit after that.

I actually got pretty lucky in the 90’s- while I had the early years of the MTV hard rock/grunge thing, in the mid-90’s I got into Vai/Dream Theater and then right as nu-metal was getting huge I was introduced to Pantera by the drummer in my high school band who was playing a bunch of old Metallica, which I was just hearing for the first time. I was going in reverse by ‘98.

I'm still thinking the op isn't being serious. It would be like starting a thread titled, "The 80's Had The Hottest Women On TV!", then posting a picture of Bea Arthur as an example:

092252b095f51bb8251cbcc4136a6d52_GH_content_850px.jpg

For me, personally, the best thing musically to come out of the 90's was Devin Townsend.

I picked up guitar in the 90's and went down the 90's shredder rabbit hole pretty early on. I didn't appreciate the great music of that era until quite a bit later in life.

Late 60s/into the 70s we had the pioneering guitar gods....Hendrix, Page, Blackmore, EVH.....and that culminated in the 80s with virtuoso guitar going to it's highest points. EVERYONE had a shredder on lead...hell, in Mpls you couldn't even get in the door to tryout unless you were a king shredder of some type. And, you HAD to have great stage presence. Big hair, big sound, great players. Now, the songs themselves weren't always great but the guitar playing usually was.
The 90s, was the antithesis of the 80s. Great songs by great bands like AIC, Soundgarden, Tool, STP etc but no one gave two shits about lead playing anymore(not including metal though). Nor did they really care about stage presence, or at least it wasn't the biggest emphasis.
Closer to the 2000s we had nu metal, now there are NO lead breaks in many tunes I'd cover in bands I was in. Different, scooped and fizzy as fuck bad rectifier tones (which is too bad since Rectos don't sound bad at all) but some stage presence came back; dudes are slinging their guitars WAAY down and pointing the neck WAAAY up, so I guess I understand the lack of leads since you can't hardly play rhythm that way. Lol.

Into the 2000s everything started to die down and only Alter Bridge kept me interested in any new releases...still not a lot of lead playing in rock but still had 7Dust and a few other 1 hit wonders to download from time to time.
Live playing has really died down in my area too, which is sad....back in the day, the 'cowpie' circuit as we called it, any little shit town within 50 miles of where I live, wanted bands every weekend...now there's maybe 6 places total to play if you're a local act.

i been on a huge monkees kick lately, the opening riff in this song shreds so hard, definitely on my list of riffs to learn

this song is just so perfect too, one of neil diamonds best

That is a killer riff! Ima go ahead and say that you’re being serious about this one, but you’re fucking with us with the Nookie tune in the 90’s thread. Hahahaha

Back