The BEAST that is the Herbert

FixXxer

I looked and Channel 3 and quivered like a little bitch. Not being able to dial you in for 2 days, I was saying F U channel three.

I threw out all common sense and what I have come to know about dialing in amps and my mesa's. I wiped the slate clean and came to an entirely different approach.

With the gain at 9 o'clock...... I now have an amp that slays anything I have ever known. The clean is so freaking good. My channel 2 with the + setting is the ballz. I have all 6L6's in it at the moment, but will be moving to 6550's and KT88's mixed.

Through the Mills, its sonic devistation. I love this amp. Now I need to get my rack unit going for the cleans and we are good.

These leaves me wanting a VH4 bad. I thought I was done with MY mesa's, but damn you Peter Diezel....

That said, I still LOVE my roadster and TOV to death, and will be keeping those.

One day, they will be mixed together.... :rock:

I finally started messing with the 2- channel and have found some killer tones, especially when arpeggiating chords..
Are you saying 9:00 or 3:00?

Herbert ch3 can be used for both lead/rythm.
i use it with midcut for rythm gain at 1,without same gain or at 2 for leads.
It is for sure a bit more compressed and less open sounding than ch2+ but he has more gain than ch2+ on gain at 4.

What can i say..with my strato i prefer for rythm ch3 with my RR1 ch2+..it depends largely on the pickup your are using. ;)

I just cranked it up with some new cables I bought and set up my guitar and holy shit....AMAZING! I realized if I put the presence at about 1:00 or so, and put the mid cut on (level and intensity fairly low) I get some amazing, unique tone on all channels.

base341":1viahp6l said:
I finally started messing with the 2- channel and have found some killer tones, especially when arpeggiating chords..

9 AM, 9 o'clock, basically a 25%....

9 o clock is what i use, with and without the mid-cut. Using more gain compresses to much, or you should lower the treble or pressence.

FixXxer":f26e7a2n said:
I looked and Channel 3 and quivered like a little bitch. Not being able to dial you in for 2 days, I was saying F U channel three.

I threw out all common sense and what I have come to know about dialing in amps and my mesa's. I wiped the slate clean and came to an entirely different approach.

With the gain at 9 o'clock...... I now have an amp that slays anything I have ever known. The clean is so freaking good. My channel 2 with the + setting is the ballz. I have all 6L6's in it at the moment, but will be moving to 6550's and KT88's mixed.

Through the Mills, its sonic devistation. I love this amp. Now I need to get my rack unit going for the cleans and we are good.

These leaves me wanting a VH4 bad. I thought I was done with MY mesa's, but damn you Peter Diezel....

That said, I still LOVE my roadster and TOV to death, and will be keeping those.

try pushing channel 3 harder then use a boost then a 10 band to tighten/limit it...ive found this to be acool to get the most out of the herbert..

FixXxer":10pso01m said:

I Mixed my Herbert with a road king using a TC G system- What an absolutely versatile great sounding SOB this rig is!!!!! I still need the stereo decimator for the high gain but all I can say is adding your roadster might just shock the crap out of you- It blends beautifully with the Diezel! I just wish the +- switch was midi controllable on the Herbert. My cleans are unbelievable, and the hi Gain is downright painful. I get a middle of the road rhythm tone that is straight out of AC DC, flip the + to - on 2 and it's perfect top 40 - both on channel 3 straight up removes plaster from walls and ceilings. So my advice is to defiantly TRY IT!!!!!!

FixXxer":1ycer0oy said:
base341":1ycer0oy said:

I tried dialing the gain back that far after reading your post and the best I could get was get a light rock sound. What type of music are you after with this setting?

RJF":36nwe4kk said:
FixXxer":36nwe4kk said:
base341":36nwe4kk said:

I tried dialing the gain back that far after reading your post and the best I could get was get a light rock sound. What type of music are you after with this setting?

Standard tuning, Les Paul, through a Mills acoustic. The Bass is turned up quit a bit. I'm watchin the Hawks right now, but will get pics. I'm also leveraging the MV2, and the Deep settings.

Its not very compressed, and I'd say not really rock, more metallica-ish / megadeth. ITs not dropped down crazy, and its the only setting that did not get crazy compressed.

I am going to really open it up in a few weeks, and most likely have some changes.

Settings:
CH #3 Gain noon, Volume noon, Treble 4/5 oclock, mid 11:30 B 3o'clock

MC Int noon, level 1

V2 10 o clock Presence noon, Deep 1 oclock V1 9 oclock

The gain on CH3 between 9 and noon is sweet.

This was tested in a mills 2x12 with a les paul custom.

Back