The Definitive Yngwie Malmsteen Strat Thread, Pix & Video

Have you seen the burgundy mist rosewood board If You Love Music Play It ad strat from back in the 80s ? Always thought that one was super cool.

Anyone ever play the Schecter version of the Malmsteen Strat. I saw one for sale on Reverb and was curious how they play, and sound from a forum member here.

Last edited:
What a great information source this thread is. Thanks! :giggle:

I just ordered a new Malmsteen sig Strat from my local music store and it should arrive in June/July. We’ll see how lucky I get regarding the high-E falling off the fretboard but at least it is fixable with a narrow string space’d trem. Are the necks in these directly swappable for those replacement Strat bodies Fender is selling? A candy apple red SSS alder body would look quite amazing. Now I’m hunting for a Fender Malmsteen sig overdrive but they are quite hard to come by these days. Any experience on these with the YJM Strats?

I just ordered a new Malmsteen sig Strat from my local music store and it should arrive in June/July. We’ll see how lucky I get regarding the high-E falling off the fretboard but at least it is fixable with a narrow string space’d trem. Are the necks in these directly swappable for those replacement Strat bodies Fender is selling? A candy apple red SSS alder body would look quite amazing. Now I’m hunting for a Fender Malmsteen sig overdrive but they are quite hard to come by these days. Any experience on these with the YJM Strats?
I can tell you the DOD YJM 308 is a very cool pedal after a couple of component swaps. It's not bad stock either.

I can tell you the DOD YJM 308 is a very cool pedal after a couple of component swaps. It's not bad stock either.
Thanks for the suggestions. I found a mint Fender YJM Overdrive from France and bought it today. Should arrive next week.

Are the Mexican made Fender original Strat bodies any good and are they directly swappable also for the YJM neck?

https://shop.fender.com/en-FI/parts...ridge-mount---candy-apple-red/0998003709.html
The bodies are great, just make sure that the depth of the single-coil cavities are deep enough to accommodate Yngwie's pickups (if you are going for his signature pickups, or the Dimarzio ones he used.) as the coils are stacked on top of each other, they might be "taller/deeper" than a regular single-coil pickup.

Anyone ever play the Schecter version of the Malmsteen Strat. I saw one for sale on Reverb and was curious how they play, and sound from a forum member here.
It's absolutely amazing, better made than the USA version, well the production model, not necessarily the custom shop

It's the standard Fender 4 bolt pattern, so yes. I'd personally rather find an original CAR, but that's just me 😁

I have both the DOD and Fender, they're each better suited to their particular generation of pickup. DOD for DiMarzio and Fender for Duncan

My main guitars used to be a couple American made Fender YJM's. I had a 2005 sonic blue/maple one and a 2004 candy apple red/rosewood one. My playing style and gear needs changed over the years and I ended up selling them. The last one I sold was the sonic blue one and I got over $2000 for it. It just didn't get played much anymore and was too nice of a guitar to just sit in a case. Plus we just bought our first French Bulldog and he was not cheap so that helped offset some of the cost.

I did get to play one of the Fender YJM Tribute Strats at the Guitar Center in Fountain Valley CA. I had my wife hold on to the credit card and hide it from me. :ROFLMAO: I owned a Marshall YJM100 amp that I bought new and eventually sold after some years. I have had many DOD 250 pedals and modded clones also. I was heavily into Yngwie back in the day.

My main guitars used to be a couple American made Fender YJM's. I had a 2005 sonic blue/maple one and a 2004 candy apple red/rosewood one. My playing style and gear needs changed over the years and I ended up selling them. The last one I sold was the sonic blue one and I got over $2000 for it. It just didn't get played much anymore and was too nice of a guitar to just sit in a case. Plus we just bought our first French Bulldog and he was not cheap so that helped offset some of the cost.

I did get to play one of the Fender YJM Tribute Strats at the Guitar Center in Fountain Valley CA. I had my wife hold on to the credit card and hide it from me. :ROFLMAO: I owned a Marshall YJM100 amp that I bought new and eventually sold after some years. I have had many DOD 250 pedals and modded clones also. I was heavily into Yngwie back in the day.
Awesome man! Thanks for sharing. I still love/appreciate the Fender YJM, but have been considering keeping a few of my favorites and selling down the rest. Sold 2 so far this year, may do a collection video before I sell any more though

It's the standard Fender 4 bolt pattern, so yes. I'd personally rather find an original CAR, but that's just me 😁

Hey,

Thanks for all the great info in this thread regarding the YJM strat.

I'm looking to get one again, but also condsidering getting a "loaded" body and using a standard "non-scalloped" neck.

What fender/Warmouth neck would you recommend?

Thank you!

Hey,

Thanks for all the great info in this thread regarding the YJM strat.

I'm looking to get one again, but also condsidering getting a "loaded" body and using a standard "non-scalloped" neck.

What fender/Warmouth neck would you recommend?

Thank you!
Apologies for the delay! If you know how to set guitars up well you can get whichever neck you like. Why not make things easier and simply buy a loaded YJM pickguard instead?

Back