The EMG Pickup Debackle

srinivassa

Does anyone out there deal in fact or strong opinion with regards to the different enumerations of EMG active pickups?

I've got an ESP LTD EC-1000 (clever name, huh?). It has the 81/60 combo.

I can really appreciate the brutal, tight crunch on these things. It's weird to me though because my neck pup sounds like a bridge pup. It's bright. It's clear and separated. The bridge pickup sounds like, I'm not sure, more of the same maybe?

Anyway, I don't get it. I thought that I really liked this neck pup for rythm, but I don't have much use for the bridge except to keep the volume higher and use it for solos. I could do it the other way around though. I'm not sure there would be much difference.

So is anyone the expert on a possible repup? It seems like the going thing is to keep the 81 bridge and replace the 60 with an 85 or a 89. I like the 60 though. I'd rather sack the bridge pup, but it seems unanimous that the 81 is the best EMG active for the bridge.

What do most people do? Do they go for contrast between neck and bridge sounds at all? Are the 85 and 89 pups just as clear and brutal in the neck? I do love that brash sound. I just wondered if there was enough variation in models to make a repup worthwile.

Do I even want to consider an 'x' pup? Has anyone tried these? I keep thinking, 'yeah, and 'x' is only like $10 more,' but for all I know they suck.

Unfortunately, I can't try out any of this stuff in my town. I was tempted by a used Schecter Hellraiser C-1 FR that had dual split-coil 81tw/89. Didn't buy it, but it looked sweeeeet. I think it's probably smarter to repup my EMG, but I wonder if I'll get any improvement out of it.

I prefer the 85 in the bridge, more bottom, not as harsh. The 81 works great in the neck position...but I'm a backwards kinda dude.

Mark

Sounds pretty unanimous. I'm going to wish list an 85. Still up for grabs whether I go for an 'x'. I'm tempted to err on the safe side and just get the older 85 since it's tried and true.

I don't think there is such a thing as the 85tw, or I would definitely consider it. Splitting coils for more options is usually a good thing.

I know everybody loves it when I bump my own posts. I tried, since I'm like that, doing a 12V mod to my EC-1000. The results were... interesting. It sounded more like I subtracted 3V than added it. (I checked. I soldered it correctly.) It was warbly and low output. Dime gain sounded like a rolloff blues tone, except even warblier.

I have a 9V harness to solder on. I was just curious if it would run at other voltages besides multiples of 9.

I would have started a thread, but then this just seems sooooo uninteresting. I couldn't just wait for someone to bring it up, so I just bumped my own thread like a douche. Now, I feel better.

JakeAC5253":1wx1f54v said:
how did you add 3V? Two AA batteries in series with a 9V?

No it's two of these in series. It adds a little weight but the battery life is AMAZING.
1209.jpg

Mark Day":1v4zxtrq said:
I prefer the 85 in the bridge, more bottom, not as harsh. The 81 works great in the neck position...but I'm a backwards kinda dude.

Mark
+1 on this. Love this combination in my Zakk Wylde Epi. I did the 18 volt mod as well. Sounds great. I used and 81 in the bridge of a Charvel back in late 80's early 90's but never liked it. To bright. But when I got my ZW Epi a buddy told me to try the 85 in the bridge and 81 in the neck. With the new solderless connections easy to switch back if I didn't like it. Needless to say I loved it. The 85 in the bridge is chunky and the 81 in the neck gives some clarity and bite.

My experience has been that the EMG 81 can sound really good, but it tends to be like an explosion with sounds and harmonics going every which way and not being focused. The 85 is much better as a bridge pup, IMO. It is much tighter and more well defined than the 81.

I recently put a set of Seymour Duncan AHB-3 EMTY Blackout's into one of Charvel's. I feel that it blows EMG out of the water. I'm not usually an active pickup advocate, but I love these things. It might be worth a look-

the rossness":3r52fgnl said:
My experience has been that the EMG 81 can sound really good, but it tends to be like an explosion with sounds and harmonics going every which way and not being focused. The 85 is much better as a bridge pup, IMO. It is much tighter and more well defined than the 81.

I recently put a set of Seymour Duncan AHB-3 EMTY Blackout's into one of Charvel's. I feel that it blows EMG out of the water. I'm not usually an active pickup advocate, but I love these things. It might be worth a look-

AHB 3's for the win!!!
I used EMG's since 1986....I like the AHB's better.

Mark

Mark Day":2x5g6mw2 said:
the rossness":2x5g6mw2 said:

AHB 3's for the win!!!

Mark

which Blackouts do you like the most?

i've got some 1's, but i'm still on the fence if they're any better than EMG's?

Capulin Overdrive":ehlwqeb2 said:
Mark Day":ehlwqeb2 said:
the rossness":ehlwqeb2 said:

AHB 3's for the win!!!

Mark

I have the AHB 1's in my PRS and LP, I have the AHB 3 (bridge) and AHB 1 (neck) in my Suhr Modern. I really like the AHB 3 the best.

Mark

Mark Day":30nmn6dj said:
Capulin Overdrive":30nmn6dj said:
Mark Day":30nmn6dj said:
the rossness":30nmn6dj said:

AHB 3's for the win!!!

Mark

I have the AHB 1's in my PRS and LP, I have the AHB 3 (bridge) and AHB 1 (neck) in my Suhr Modern. I really like the AHB 3 the best.

Mark

What makes the AHB 3 different or better than the EMG 81? When I tried the first version of the blackouts it was too much for me and it got muddy. So I really like to know how the AHB 3 compares.

I just installed the 81-X/85-X combo and it rocks. It is high output pup and a bit more open than the older EMG's, but I can't remember whether it has more ouput in comparison. I'd say to try out an X version before you go the 18v route.

JakeAC5253":4wnhq9aw said:
how did you add 3V? Two AA batteries in series with a 9V?

No, I actually used a Car battery in place of the 9V. :p It's a little bit cumbersome to drag around, but if it ever dies right before a show, you can go out in the parking lot and find someone to jump you off!

Just kidding. It was a coin battery CR2023. I thought I'd try it since it would be easy to fit into the electronics cavity. I already had the clip and battery handy.

All right, I see somebody who has tried an X. I think I am going to do the 18V mod to see how it sounds. More output might not be a necessity for me. Honestly, the best thing I've heard about the 18V mod is that you rarely have to deal with that weak-battery sound. I hate that. The pup still works, but it gradually starts to sound like crap. I've heard 18V changes the natural compression of the pickup as well, which I'm not sure if I will like.

Back