The First Verse

thenine

Ever notice the first verse of a song is always the best? I know in my own writing it usually starts with a thought and a few lines that come together kind of quickly. Then a melody or riff and then struggle with creating more verses. But usually the first verse kinda flows. Anybody else? If you agree then there’s probably lots of songs with super cool first verses.

I’ll go first. One of my all time faves:

I woke up in the mornin', I'm still flat on my back
Couldn't move a muscle like I had a heart attack
The night was wild and woolly didn't think I'd make it through it
'Cause lovin' you's a dirty job and I'm the man to do it

I’ll play, but I’ll counter yours with what I personally think is the world’s worst first verse:
I went to a party last Saturday night
I didn’t get laid I got in a fight uh-huh
It ain’t no big thing

I think it’s good to grab the listeners attention, it makes sense the first verse needs impact. I love songs that start with verses like Metallica’s Wherever I May Roam that starts “And the road becomes my bride…”

Feed My Frankenstein by Alice Cooper is an outlier. Every verse gets better.

You dont wanna talk
So baby shut up
And let me drink the wine
From your fur tea cup

When I write songs, I try to tell if like a story. The first verse is the first act, second verse is the second, etc. That way, the breakdown is the climax, which makes for good bridges and mid sections.

A formula my band has used a lot is the ABABCDCD song structure (in one form or another. I often find the second half has the better verses.

Back