The Hypocrisy of Lars Ulrich

Oh yeah, the youtube version sounds like stupid chipmonk $hit, its literally pitched up.
Go to the vh1 site for the real deal, metal evolution episode 6 or 106.

IMO that's how we all got out stuff out back then. That's how I first heard the Metallica demo. That how the first rotting corpse demo made it to Europe and Japan. Tape trading was the shit.

If you are saying Lars is a hypocrite for being against nappster yet condoning tape trading,I understand that. But back then that was the ONLY way to get heard.

Totally the Napster thing! It's like "When I was a kid it was cool to share music!" 20 years later "Hey, these kids are sharing my music!" Don't get me wrong, I understand the whole situation, I just thought it was too funny not to "share." : )

Money changes everything. For most everyone at some point. Most all would agree in the primal nature that drove us to get our music out or acquire new music & knowledge about bands in our preferred tastes and we made friends along the way. That was real networking back in the day. Effort was required to a degree compared to today where it's simply a few keys or buttons pushed. It was vastly different and substantive then. While not a hater nor a big fan of Lars, he gets no demerits for hs viewpoint. Different times.

rottingcorpse":3f0sad1q said:
IMO that's how we all got out stuff out back then. That's how I first heard the Metallica demo. That how the first rotting corpse demo made it to Europe and Japan. Tape trading was the shit.

If you are saying Lars is a hypocrite for being against nappster yet condoning tape trading,I understand that. But back then that was the ONLY way to get heard.

I used to trade tape all the time when I was a kid, and every tape I've got that I liked, I would go out and order the album.
I still buy albums. I own over 1200 cds, and I'm still buying them. I really wish I had money enough to get them on vinyl too.
I think everything has a limit, and at the same time I like to have access to free music, I do also support bands buying their albuns, merch and everytime I can, going to concerts.
Honestly, I don't think it's fair to get free service at someones elses cost at the same time you charge for your work.
But again, every thing has a limit, and each case is a case.

Metallica went to shit before Napster was invented. I say they owe me $20 for the twenty minutes I tried actually listening to St Anger.

tumblr_n5hahsrdPK1tbyc86o1_500.gif

I'd say the biggest difference is;the bands were into tape trading. It was a great way to get exposure, and promote themselves outside there own cities.

But you're getting a tape that in no way was going to sound as good as the vinyl and back then you cared about getting that album cover and reading the lyrics if they put them on the inside or on the back. It was all about discovering new music and if you liked it you bought it...if you could. Plus we didn't know a whole lot about the bands themselves as there was no internet. Having mystery about an artist made buying the record a lot more fun and it was your conduit to them apart from magazines.
Getting a perfect digital copy in seconds, that is to keep, with no intention of buying it, is a completely different thing. And we also know every little detail about an artist. Shit, they often promote every facet of their lives through their own videos anyway. There's no mystery and unfortunately all too often you see there just as hopeless a dumbass as the rest of us. Most of the legends we know today wouldn't still be known or performing if we'd known every thing about them from day 1.

skoora":17fb7sfs said:
But you're getting a tape that in no way was going to sound as good as the vinyl and back then you cared about getting that album cover and reading the lyrics if they put them on the inside or on the back. It was all about discovering new music and if you liked it you bought it...if you could. Plus we didn't know a whole lot about the bands themselves as there was no internet. Having mystery about an artist made buying the record a lot more fun and it was your conduit to them apart from magazines.
Getting a perfect digital copy in seconds that is to keep with no intention of buying it, is a completely different thing. And we also know every little detail about an artist. Shit, they often promote every facet of their lives through their own videos anyway. There's no mystery and unfortunately all too often you see there just as hopeless a dumbass as the rest of us. Most of the legends we know today wouldn't still be known or performing if we'd known every thing about them from day 1.

Agreed

I get both sides of this coin. Lars is just funny and it could be taken hypocritical but I also think skoora nailed it on the head.

Lars actually explained it pretty well I thought.

Back