The last KISS show is tonight. Thoughts?

Same. My buddies and I mowed lawns all summer to save up for tickets, to the 2000 farewell tour.

Skid Row opened, minus Sebastian Bach. Up next was Ted Nugent, with Tommy Aldridge on drums which was a nice surprise. After the show, KISS famously displayed the town of Greenfield on the big screen instead of Greenville.

yes, i remember the one Kiss super fan we had in town doing the same thing. thinking about it now, i dont remember seeing or hearing anything about that dude since we graduated, i wonder if hes still out there supporting lol

Just saw KISS a couple of weeks ago and brought my girlfriend. It was her first rock concert.

Her name isn’t Knives Chau, is it?

1701629818307.gif

Last edited:
I respect them but have never liked their music overall. I also never have liked the face-painting thing, and I'll say the same for black-metal bands too.
That is what got me into them and Alice Cooper. The combination of those bands, the Groovie Ghoulies, and Count Dracula cereal turned me into a horror fan.

I am glad they are done and this is long over due...by like a decade. Using pre recorded vocal tracks is low. They were supposed to play here a week or so back, Paul canceled the show a few hours before opening due to the flu. I bet the next day his voice was on par for the next show ( thanks to vocal tracks). I just have a hard time feeling any emotion for these guys. They are a product, not a band.

I am however looking forward to KISS inc, putting rogether a licensed tour band of younger musicians that they can rotate in and out of the band as they please. That will be a real live show and have the energy back. They have hinted they would do this and I suspect the gravy train will keep going. In fact, Gene will produce a show where they go look for 4 guys to play them on stage. There will be rehearsals, elimination rounds etc... like America has talent sort of shit but with KISS stuff. You'll see...this isn't the end, this is just the continuation.

I am glad they are done and this is long over due...by like a decade. Using pre recorded vocal tracks is low. They were supposed to play here a week or so back, Paul canceled the show a few hours before opening due to the flu. I bet the next day his voice was on par for the next show ( thanks to vocal tracks). I just have a hard time feeling any emotion for these guys. They are a product, not a band.

I am however looking forward to KISS inc, putting rogether a licensed tour band of younger musicians that they can rotate in and out of the band as they please. That will be a real live show and have the energy back. They have hinted they would do this and I suspect the gravy train will keep going. In fact, Gene will produce a show where they go look for 4 guys to play them on stage. There will be rehearsals, elimination rounds etc... like America has talent sort of shit but with KISS stuff. You'll see...this isn't the end, this is just the continuation.
That would actually be cool, having an America's Got Talent type of thing but KISS themed!

With KISS, I think people love em', hate em', or are clueless about them. KISS was my introduction into a real rocking band with an aura. I grew up with Cheap Trick, Styx, Queen, etc. as a kid and then found this band in my uncle's stack of vinyl that were like superheroes.

I admit that KISS probably kept the train going a bit too long but in their defense, this tour started back before COVID and was supposed to be wrapped up already.

My dream would have been to have seen every past member get up there last night and do something. They could have had Ace Frehley's band come up and done some songs, a jam with Vinny Vincent, Bruck Kulick, etc. and had Peter come up and sing Hard Luck Woman, etc. Could have done tributes to Eric Carr and Mark St. John, etc. Who knows, maybe they have a separate event planned but I doubt it.

That would actually be cool, having an America's Got Talent type of thing but KISS themed!

With KISS, I think people love em', hate em', or are clueless about them. KISS was my introduction into a real rocking band with an aura. I grew up with Cheap Trick, Styx, Queen, etc. as a kid and then found this band in my uncle's stack of vinyl that were like superheroes.

I admit that KISS probably kept the train going a bit too long but in their defense, this tour started back before COVID and was supposed to be wrapped up already.

My dream would have been to have seen every past member get up there last night and do something. They could have had Ace Frehley's band come up and done some songs, a jam with Vinny Vincent, Bruck Kulick, etc. and had Peter come up and sing Hard Luck Woman, etc. Could have done tributes to Eric Carr and Mark St. John, etc. Who knows, maybe they have a separate event planned but I doubt it.
That would have absolutely been the right way of doing it. Vincent looks a bit bizarre now but hell, get him done up in his Eye character and have him out there for the final show. Kulick too.

This is old and I give Paul Stanley shit now for pre-recording a lot of his vocals but here, his hair catches on fire and he just keeps singing like there is nothing going on.

This is old and I give Paul Stanley shit now for pre-recording a lot of his vocals but here, his hair catches on fire and he just keeps singing like there is nothing going on.

He wears a wig,so probably didn't even feel it.

I grew up a huge fan, could care less now. Seen them probably 6 times starting in the 80's. I saw the early 2000 reunion with original members. They were all on point that night, so that was the highlight. Saw them a few times after that and it was pretty bland, same scripted show running through the motions. They are kind of a joke now.

I'm a diehard starting with Alive. Remember as a kid just staring at that record for hours and entranced with the music, been a fan since.

And I've been a fan of all incarnations until this last one. However I have fully supported their right to continue the band as they saw fit. They earned that right and as long as the fans continued to come and have fun, isn't that the very essence of rock n roll? See as much as I liked the originals, two guys chose their demise and two guys chose to keep it going and I have zero issue with that. Why? Because one, there's nothing sacred in rock n roll, and IMO sad that fans put their own expectations on what is right or wrong. And two, as a musician myself why would someone ever stop doing something they love just because others can't keep it together, that doesn't make sense. Because Ace and Pete couldn't keep up, Gene and Paul should have stopped their own career - illogical.

All told I've seen them over 60 times at last count. I had decided years ago after the Farewell Tour that was it for me. However as the End of the Road started in 2019, took my son so he could see a proper rock show and we had a blast. He still talks about it.

Favorite Albums?
  • Creatures of the Night
  • Destroyer
  • Hotter than Hell

Best Kiss show I've seen?
  • Love Gun '77 Atlanta, hard to top that in my book.
  • Most underrated, COTN Tour '93 Chattanooga and Nashville. Musically, they were fierce on this tour, never sounded better. Played like a band trying to save their career. Really too bad so many missed this tour as it was a great show and they were in overdrive.
  • My favorite Kiss show - '92 Atlanta Center Stage. No bombs, pyro or anything. Just Kiss in a small space delivering the goods. They just killed it.

That said, glad it's over. Anyone that's grown up with the band can see, they are guys in their 70's and it shows. That's just life.

Some of my Kiss stories - my Christmas present in '79 was an Ibanez PS10. I still own it.

• Met the band numerous times, first was at a small meet n greet for radio winners in '93. Only about 50 people with drinks and hors d'oeuvres. I actually was asked to come because I owned the PS10. Paul asked to buy it, wasn't very quick on my feet or maybe I would have offered some trades for one of those one off Hamers lol. Regardless, I declined, he said this things in such great shape I'd rather not sign the front, fine be me as I wanted him to sign the back anyway. Btw/ Gene commented on my goatee.
  • Summer NAMM, I literally bump into Paul, I'm like hey man what's up. Before he could respond a throng of people descended on him and I pointed him to the exit.
  • The next year, I'm at a soundcheck for the band (worked for the promoter) - Gene actually remembered me and my name from the year before because of the goatee. Incredible. As the limo with Gene and Paul was pulling off after soundcheck the production manager who was a good friend of theirs from the Love Gun era looked at me and said, you coming? I didn't go because I didn't really wanna know a personal side to them. Maybe that sounds crazy.
  • Fan signing, again working for the promoter I got a couple friends in to meet the band. Bruce who's hand is cramping up comes and stands besides me for 15 min. We discuss Michael Bolton. Bruce is laid back, tall guy too. Paul then comes and hangs for a bit.
  • Last bit, again working for the promoter - backstage in catering we are all eating. Now to eat you had to have a meal ticket. Snake and Rachel from Skid Row are going through the line with me, Gene walks in and the girl taking up tickets ask him for his meal ticket. Snake looks at the girl and goes, he is the meal ticket lol. I sat down with Snake, Rachel and Gene and ate dinner. I never said a word. Always thought, maybe had I not shaved off the goatee Gene might have remembered me lol. Also my good friend was their wardrobe person at the time so spent time with her checking out Gene's gear which was hanging on a rack outside drying out.
50 years folks, that's incredible to survive that long. With Aerosmith hanging it up soon, EVH gone so many legends not around anymore.

Last edited:
Claiming its the end. They have a history of repeated ends. I hope they really follow thru this time.
True but it's only been twice. The Farewell and the End of the Road considering Ozzy, Elton, Motley and all the others who have continued on that's not bad lol.

At the time, nobody knew who these guys were. Mystery men with great rock songs and stagecraft..
20230912_134434.gif

ezgif.com-optimize-18.gif

For the first years, they went to great lengths to hide their faces. They did this for around 9 years and 10 studio albums and I'm not even counting the live albums or the solo albums.
13f7115be7e570d61d50be688dcf7b84.jpg

They went so far as to release an album titled Unmasked... but, but they STILL had makeup on!
R-12611519-1538574857-8429.jpg

f8dc06861270f59d0337020f3bfd36ff.jpg

I'm assuming they had to use the payola system to keep radio stations, magazines, etc, from publishing any photos of them without makeup. That probably set them back a lot and probably the real reason they were nearly broke and finished before Kiss Alive took off. Just look at the mugs they were hiding. And if I didn't know any better, I'd say they still had makeup on!
rs-127658-20131213-kiss6-x1800-1386968390.jpg

Reactions: rsm
I'm assuming they had to use the payola system to keep radio stations, magazines, etc, from publishing any photos of them without makeup. That probably set them back a lot and probably the real reason they were nearly broke and finished before Kiss Alive took off. Just look at the mugs they were hiding. And if I didn't know any better, I'd say they still had makeup on!
They were broke because their albums weren't selling and they were touring with a headliners show as an opening act at most places.

Once they hit though probably cost them little to keep their faces out view. Think about it, Kiss on the cover or your mag or articles and pictures in the rock mags at the time meant big sales dollars. They weren't gonna kill the golden goose. As their popularity tapered is when you finally started seeing their real faces out there before they officially unmasked.

I love early Kiss and some of the stuff they did later. I remember learning every tune off Rock and Roll Over when I was 15. It was something I could actually learn to play vs VH or Ratt etc. I have great affinity for their early tones and songs. I saw them on the Psycho Circus tour and that was enough for me. I loved them in the late 70s when I was in grade school but never knew one song then haha. I did have a Gene Simmons doll though :)

Reactions: rsm
Huge respect for the band. Love reading books about the band. The lore is great!

Their non-make up era is extremely underrated. "Who wants to be lonely" and "my way" are special songs to me.

Last edited:
Back