The Les Paul dilemma

Kyrpajyra

Banned
You know the feeling when you'd be more than happy to own a Les Paul but the sharp body edges and ergonomics in general are a deal breaker? Having a superstrat that is really comfortable to play makes it hard to switch to another guitar.

I'm pondering a possibility of getting a custom made Les Paul Special style body with an arm contour and a bellycut. Has anyone here ever done it and what are your opinions about it?

I love the look of a Les Paul - and you could pull a hundred at random before finding one that didn’t sound huge in the mix, live or recorded. John Sykes, Zakk Wylde, Doug Aldrich ... does it get any cooler?

And I just can’t play one. They just feel horribly clunky, awkward, and oversized to me.

I'm a huge Les Paul fan and feel more comfortable with one of those than a Strat shape but know what you mean. I think im just used to it. I think there are Les Paul type guitars that have custom cuts, etc.

I would only do a bunch of custom work if you feelnlike you would play it, etc. Some people are Les Paul or Strat folks.

I feel the same way, maybe look into an ESP Eclipse?
If it really has to be an LP, I recently got a 2008 Les Paul Classic that I really love so far. It’s chambered and light, but resonates and projects very well, and has the thinner 60s neck. I had an Axcess once and didn’t really like it.
You have to play it differently, I use a longer strap and sling it more low than I would a superstrat so your playing at a more comfortable angle for the LP contours.

Gibson does make the Axcess, but it is 5K.

I would buy one and get used to it, it may take a while, but is worth the trouble.

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/de...s-paul-axcess-custom-figured-top-bengal-burst
Man, why you post that??
I had to get down to one guitar, a partscaster..
But I tricked it out with custom hand wound Texas Specials neck & middle with a MotorCity Dim Milk
bridge single coil.-Beast Mode Ultra.
I’ll take any of you on with your heavy humbucker
loaded guitars…the struggle is real man..argh!!

Man, why you post that??
I had to get down to one guitar, a partscaster..
But I tricked it out with custom hand wound Texas Specials neck & middle with a MotorCity Dim Milk
bridge single coil.-Beast Mode Ultra.
I’ll take any of you on with your heavy humbucker
loaded guitars…the struggle is real man..argh!!
I’ll say this, going from a Ken Lawrence, a 07 Silverburst historic, 54 Jeff Beck Oxblood,
Gary Clarke triple 90 SG, historic makeovers
Goldtop darkback to a f’n partscaster..
I’ve finally learned exactly what I need for my abilities and what I actually like in a guitar.

Dude, are you kidding me?
Nope, reality lacks in the humor department at age 50.

I love the look of a Les Paul - and you could pull a hundred at random before finding one that didn’t sound huge in the mix, live or recorded. John Sykes, Zakk Wylde, Doug Aldrich ... does it get any cooler?

And I just can’t play one. They just feel horribly clunky, awkward, and oversized to me.
This so much.

And my strat even resonates and sounds good otherwise but for some reason Les Pauls are still intriguing me ffs.

Probably should just get a hold of my OCD, put a really good PAF on my superstrat and concentrate on playing.

This so much.

And my strat even resonates and sounds good otherwise but for some reason Les Pauls are still intriguing me ffs.

Probably should just get a hold of my OCD, put a really good PAF on my superstrat and concentrate on playing.
I think the Axcess is about the thickness of a Stratocaster.

I think the Axcess is about the thickness of a Stratocaster.
Thickness is really not the problem as i like them thicker. It's really the shape overall. Strat is ergonomically perfectly shaped for my taste at least.

Reactions: Geo
This so much.

Sounds like you're craving the Les Paul sound not actually a Les Paul .

There’s just something about a LP to my ears. Yes, other “takes” on the design get in the ballpark, but don’t get that sonic sound to my ears. It could just be in my head also, since all of my guitar hero’s played them. I love my superstats as they are easier to play, but sometimes a guitar that fights you a little really makes you dig in more. It’s like the price of admission for “That” tone.

Back