The Les Paul dilemma

I don’t like traditional tele bodies for the same reason - no arm contour, no belly cut. The Richie Kotzen model has them but then it doesn’t have a normal pickup and has gold hw… could go Warmoth and do exactly what I want.

My main axe for years was a LP… it’s heavy, I’ve worn through part of the binding where an arm contour should be. In my metal band days I’d have to wear a long wristband to prevent my arm from hurting. It has great tone so I adapted.

An Eclipse may be your best bet as previously mentioned. Switched to a V for most gigs now since it’s lighter and I’m older.

I hated LPs for exactly the reasons the OP stated and I grew to hate them in the late 70s/early 80s when there were plenty of bad examples to be had. I dismissed them for two decades. Then I found one cheap and bought it and started gigging with it. And once I got used to it from playing it so much it was game over. I haven't found anything that sounds quite like it. That's the guitar I'd grab for maximum tone.

I also dismissed Teles and now I'm thinking I could be fine with a Tele and a lester...and something with a Floyd.

Don't know if you are into PRS, but the Singlecut 594 has the LP styling with a belly cut and is a bit more ergonomic.
The 594 is a wonderful instrument. Also, though they are less consistent, some SGs sound massive and are much more ergonomically friendly.

Reactions: Geo
There are several companies that may Les Paul shaped guitars that can do the cuts for you. I started on on Les Pauls, so I guess I'm used to the edges. Though every now and then I get over excited at a gig and will end up rubbing some skin off my arm...lol!

There’s just something about a LP to my ears. Yes, other “takes” on the design get in the ballpark, but don’t get that sonic sound to my ears. It could just be in my head also, since all of my guitar hero’s played them. I love my superstats as they are easier to play, but sometimes a guitar that fights you a little really makes you dig in more. It’s like the price of admission for “That” tone.
Nope, it’s not in your head

After going through 6 Gibson LPs, I ended up with a SC594. It's not overwhelmingly more comfortable, but I can at least get along with it.

Last edited:
Nope, it’s not in your head
It's definitely a real thing.

All of the weird idiosyncrasies physically force you to play a certain way, guide you into digging in harder and playing with more authority. Especially for rhythm stuff.

Sometimes buddies will ask me how I dial in rhythm sounds to be so direct and heavy, and part of it is the amp definitely

But also part of it is the Les Paul demanding I dig in and give that bitch the business.

I’ve been playing a framus XG lately. It’s way thicker than a normal SG and just feels right. I wouldn’t say sounds like my favorite LP but definitely in the ballpark. If the pickups were the same I bet it would be really close.

Kinda best of both worlds imho

My 2018 Tribute has been getting 90% of my playing time since new nut now keeps it in tune (solidly in tune now for most part). It has me wanting a much more $$$ one, but I would have to get rid of something I don't want to yet :)

Gibson does make the Axcess, but it is 5K.

I would buy one and get used to it, it may take a while, but is worth the trouble.

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/de...s-paul-axcess-custom-figured-top-bengal-burst
Man that is quite pricey. At that price point you could possibly get something custom built? Or you could even get a good sounding LP Studio used, bring it to a luthier to get the bellycut and armrest carved in and then get a repaint job. That way you would still pay much less than the 5K. If you are only after the mahagoni tone, get a partscaster with mahagoni body and mahagoni gibson scale conversion neck. Warmoth can sure help you out on this one.
Basically, its all out there, just think out of the box.

Man that is quite pricey. At that price point you could possibly get something custom built? Or you could even get a good sounding LP Studio used, bring it to a luthier to get the bellycut and armrest carved in and then get a repaint job. That way you would still pay much less than the 5K. If you are only after the mahagoni tone, get a partscaster with mahagoni body and mahagoni gibson scale conversion neck. Warmoth can sure help you out on this one.
Basically, its all out there, just think out of the box.
Yeah, lots of options especially when you are talking about 5K.

My first LP was a 2002 Classic Standard. Before that, I mostly played Straocaster type guitars for almost 20 years. It took me a while to get used to but now it's my everyday player. It was well worth the effort. Nothing sounds like a real LP.

I agree that no super Strat I've ever played actually had that LP sound, but man I hate playing an LP and I hate lugging one around since I have nightmares of being dumb and breaking the headstock. So I just stick with Strats.

I’ve always loved the sound of Les Pauls but they are chunky and I’ve always struggled to find one that played well so I ended up going over to PRS. I’ve had a few including a McCarty and 594. Personally I can’t stand all the marketing bullsh1t that goes with PRS, there are numerous claims that they improved the Les Paul with the 594, now from a playability perspective I’ve yet to play a poor playing prs, they’re quality is excellent and th 594 is no exception, however, the PRS I’ve played have all been soulless, no character, what they market as clarity, I say is actually sterility. Jack of all trades master of none springs to mind.

Until...... I played a 2009 beaten up DGT, the guy that owned it before me loved it and gigged it to an inch of its life and now I do the same, is it a Les Paul? No, it doesn’t have the fatness and weight behind he notes that a LP does but it’s the only PRS I’ve played that has some mojo to it......it’s a good companion to my Les Paul 😃

I’ve always loved the sound of Les Pauls but they are chunky and I’ve always struggled to find one that played well so I ended up going over to PRS. I’ve had a few including a McCarty and 594. Personally I can’t stand all the marketing bullsh1t that goes with PRS, there are numerous claims that they improved the Les Paul with the 594, now from a playability perspective I’ve yet to play a poor playing prs, they’re quality is excellent and th 594 is no exception, however, the PRS I’ve played have all been soulless, no character, what they market as clarity, I say is actually sterility. Jack of all trades master of none springs to mind.

Until...... I played a 2009 beaten up DGT, the guy that owned it before me loved it and gigged it to an inch of its life and now I do the same, is it a Les Paul? No, it doesn’t have the fatness and weight behind he notes that a LP does but it’s the only PRS I’ve played that has some mojo to it......it’s a good companion to my Les Paul 😃
PRS does make excellent guitars, no question but all my Les Pauls play great.

If the Les Paul is setup properly, it will play fantastic. I get reaching the higher notes does take some dexterity and some are heavy but there is no substitute IMO.

I have a Les Paul and several PRS single cuts, the Les Paul is the one that rarely comes out of the stand to actually get played.

I do like the sound of the LP, but just hate the way the neck plays compared to the PRSs.

As I get older, my 2019 LP Standard feels like I'm holding an anchor around my neck. I still love it but the 2022 Studio I just got and my 2013 Classic are much easier to sling around and jam on.

Back