The outlook for used gear in 2024 - Used Guitar Apocalypse?

It’s definitely not an “apocalypse,” it’s not even yet back to where prices were relatively pre-Covid. It’s funny because the guitar “boom” was of course not going to last, but people are very irrational about things like this.

It’s the same with financial markets. It doesn’t matter how many bubbles and busts we go through, the patterns of behavior rarely change. People only react when the bubble is inflated or when the prices have already shot up, because what if this is just the beginning or what if it doesn’t come down? And sometimes that can be true, but that predictably has the effect of exacerbating the upward price pressures. That in turn creates a feedback loop that reinforces that now is the time to buy and it keeps going - to a point.

Then people who bought high keep that frame of mind about that thing they purchased, and have a tough time accepting a loss of value when circumstances change and the bubble deflates or pops.

I've bought 6 or 7 used amps over the past year ranging from $700 to $1100 including a tremoverb, 100 watt 5153, Armageddon, REVV generator, Randall 100rg classic, Armored skitzo and a Marshall vintage modern. But I needed them all to create a couch to sit on in my amp room. It's not very comfortable, but when they are all on it keeps me warm.

I've bought 6 or 7 used amps over the past year ranging from $700 to $1100 including a tremoverb, 100 watt 5153, Armageddon, REVV generator, Randall 100rg classic, Armored skitzo and a Marshall vintage modern. But I needed them all to create a couch to sit on in my amp room. It's not very comfortable, but when they are all on it keeps me warm.

IMG_8209.jpeg

And a Krank in the Krapper. 🤘

Back