The power of pickups

I know we have discussed (argued) about wood's effect on tone with electric guitars. I can say this. I played my amp with my les paul with 498, and the amp sounded pretty muddy and dark. Like way too dark.

It sounds really bright with the jackson (wicked 8) til i up the preamp gain.It could be the different guitars. But i believe what i am hearing is pickups. Also, the wicked 8 hits the front end so hard.

I ordered another (my fourth or fifth) seymour duncan 59/custom hybrid which has been my favorite pickup for a lot of amps and will put it in and see.

It may be the goldilocks for my situation.

Haven't you heard? Glenn Fricker says pickups don't matter.
Imagine using pickups anymore
IMG_3954.jpeg

The only time pickups really matter for me is when a neck/body/combo are flat. That’s where the right combo of wire to magnet can really make a difference. A great guitar sounds great with anything IME

The only time pickups really matter for me is when a neck/body/combo are flat. That’s where the right combo of wire to magnet can really make a difference. A great guitar sounds great with anything IME
Well this guitar has sounded great with wicked 8, ironman, and jb. But i am trying to match the pickup to the amp moreso

Just chiming in to say the Duncan JB is awful.
While I didn't find it great for my own stuff I did find it versatile enough to passably play blues stuff on. Thing has more compression than any pickup I've tried though admittedly I have not gotten deep into testing the really hot pickups in my time.

While I didn't find it great for my own stuff I did find it versatile enough to passably play blues stuff on. Thing has more compression than any pickup I've tried though admittedly I have not gotten deep into testing the really hot pickups in my time.
They seem to be really inconsistent .Had a green one with only a lil compression and it was wired correct.:confused:

Back