The Punk thread: Agent Orange > Descendents > Bad Religion > Offspring > NOFX > Pennywise.....

* velcro-fly *

Yeah I'm a shred guitar geek through and through but have always had a soft spot for high energy three chord punk especially when played well. Funny some of these guys have the most ripping tight rhythms and killer crunchy guitar sounds....

Here's a few....whatchoo gots ?

I care more about punk than any other music
Most of the bands I'm into from that era with few exceptions were / are pretty pin point tech in their delivery. The sloppy stuff never did it for me unless the attitude was way over the top. There's some unreal guitar players lurking in these clips above, nice contributions boys!

Descendents are one of my all time favorite bands...I'll listen to them as much as any guitar god music I'm into for sure. The OG bass player is next level.

Of course the mighty brains…they actually were quite technical. Nice little solo in there!

I'm going to say something that most on this board will think is insane... but early Bad Brains is what I consider to be one of the pinnacles of rock music. Rock for Light is equally important, impressive, and has as much value to me as any rock, metal, whatever classic. If I chose one record to take into the future from the 1980s, it would be Rock for Light. I would flush VH I, II, any other more standard '80s rock record right down the drain. Gary Miller has more influence on my playing and tastes in guitar music than any 'guitar idol'. This band was nearly perfect and 40 years later, nobody yet matches the songs, the performances, the personality that comes through the records. I respect and adore Bad Brains more than I can even put into words. As far as I'm concerned, they perfected punk/hardcore, and to me it's the most meaningful and valid form of rock and roll. I'll gush endlessly about them. It's not only the music, but the factual stories, history, the lore, the band has almost a mystic quality to them... fuck.

I'm going to say something that most on this board will think is insane... but early Bad Brains is what I consider to be one of the pinnacles of rock music. Rock for Light is equally important, impressive, and has as much value to me as any rock, metal, whatever classic. If I chose one record to take into the future from the 1980s, it would be Rock for Light. I would flush VH I, II, any other more standard '80s rock record right down the drain. Gary Miller has more influence on my playing and tastes in guitar music than any 'guitar idol'. This band was nearly perfect and 40 years later, nobody yet matches the songs, the performances, the personality that comes through the records. I respect and adore Bad Brains more than I can even put into words. As far as I'm concerned, they perfected punk/hardcore, and to me it's the most meaningful and valid form of rock and roll. I'll gush endlessly about them. It's not only the music, but the factual stories, history, the lore, the band has almost a mystic quality to them... fuck.
I agree Bad Brains were huge. And in a way underrated, but I think that anyone who is familiar with them gets it. Very influential, creative and talented. I will always love the early material especially.

Back