The tone on Mastodon's Crack the Skye...

CaseyCor

...is fantastic! Such a great album IMO. It feels a little short, like it could have used 2 more songs or something, but it's great either way.

The tone is very cool. Much lower gain than before. Old Marshalls (plexi's and JCM900's?) and boost pedals. It's thick sounding, for sure. It might be a bit too fuzzy for me, but wow does it sound good.

Anyone try copping this kinda tone at home?

Ghosts of Karelia is such a good tune! :rock:

I think it is an amazing album!

And I am chasing the tone, but can't seem to nail it, even though I have what they seem to use.

Gibson Flying V Silverburst > Mastortion > TS9 > Marshall JMP

Mine doesn't get as heavy as there sound, but I keep on trying!

I actually think the Mastortion-pedal sounds crappy, so I think I'm gonna try with a Ibanez TubeKing.

heard from somewhere an octave pedal was involved which I didnt hear but is interesting.
But I am definetly a member of the minority that didnt like the album, sound, structure, or feel. Its no Leviathan.

peterc52":54w44f5r said:

And I am chasing the tone, but can't seem to nail it, even though I have what they seem to use.

I actually think the Mastortion-pedal sounds crappy, so I think I'm gonna try with a Ibanez TubeKing.
The Mastortion is the pickiest pedal I've ever owned. It sounded completely amazing through one of my amps and not so much through my others. I guess that's due to the fuzz side of its heritage. Also Brent said they all sound different, which makes it pretty hard if you're trying to cop that sound.

peterc52":1mmpgd9n said:

Brent Hinds uses only a JCM 800 head, and I suppose both of them use the same amp in the studio. Both guitarists use Mills Afterburner cabs. Bill Kelliher uses only Duncan Distortion pickups. I heard in an interview somewhere that Brent uses his Maxon OD808 more than his Mastortion.

JakeAC5253":qe9pd4v3 said:
peterc52":qe9pd4v3 said:

Brent Hinds uses only a JCM 800 head, and I suppose both of them use the same amp in the studio. Both guitarists use Mills Afterburner cabs. Bill Kelliher uses only Duncan Distortion pickups. I heard in an interview somewhere that Brent uses his Maxon OD808 more than his Mastortion.

Here's a link where they talk a good bit about the gear they used on Crack the Skye
https://www.premierguitar.com/Magazine/I ... spx?Page=1

As far as I know until recently Brent was always a Marshall Cab w/75's guy while Bill was the Mills & Marshall guy. When I saw them live last year Brent only had Marshall cabs (Fender cab for his Fender head) and Bill had Marshalls & Mills. When I saw them live recently Bill only had his Marshall cabs and Brent had Marshall and Orange cabs.

Yeah, I wonder if Brent even messes with that Mastortion any more. The last interview I heard with him he didn't even mention using it. The interviewer mentioned it and that's when he mention them all sounding different.

Inquisitor":32dslbxm said:
heard from somewhere an octave pedal was involved which I didnt hear but is interesting.
But I am definetly a member of the minority that didnt like the album, sound, structure, or feel. Its no Leviathan.
Leviathan is my favorite album by them, but I really dig this one. I am exited for the next release even more, see where they take this new style their working on. Hopefully they bring more of the metal side into this new rock aspect they have. I can't wait :rock:

jonny toetags":39hjlf1o said:
Watch the DVD that comes with the CD....great 'in studio' stuff :thumbsup:
I forgot you were a Mastodon fan Jonny. Very cool!

I've been a fan since the Lifesblood EP. One of my favorite vinyls in my collection :rock:

Back