They went digital and the sound is so not as good

Bingo. There is so much wrong with these mixes, and absolutely none of it has to do with the guitar tones being an axe fx, or a plugin, or whatever. I’m sorry, but if anyone tells you they can tell something is a real amp or not nowadays, they are flat out full of shit, period end of story. If the mix sounds the way it does here, it’s because they wanted it to sound like that, or it’s the sound that’s “popular” or whatever.

A neve preamp never made a mix. Neither did an 1176, or TAPE ( overrated), or an SSL console. It was the knowledge and ears of the person behind the board, and the workflow. I mean, does anyone here really think Andy Wallace, or clearmountain, or CLA, or *insert A list mixer here*, couldn’t do what they do WITHOUT the hardware? The answer is 100 percent no, they could no doubt, and DO.

Many of people’s favorite modern heavy mixers have been in the box for years. It’s not digital this digital that, it’s shitty arrangement, and lack of care with attention to detail, I’m telling you.
"Andy Wallace" those Faith No More albums he did were masterpieces

no, he hired a hit man to try and kill his ex wife. get your metal core true crime right :p

The only "True crime" here is metalcore/deathcore production since the late 90s

And no, it's not because it's digital, it's because digital has reduced the cost of entry to the point where every jackoff on earth thinks they're a producer, unfortunately

Bands want to save money. So they hire cheap "producers" who's extensive knowledge of engineering is to use a project template, the 5150 model into Mesa OS Toan Pipeline, steven slate plug-in drag and drop replacement, melodyne, and O-zone.

Hence, every band heavier than Imagine Dragons has sounded like a glenn fricker video for the last 20 years or so.

Digital gear gets the hate, but the digital gear isn't really the problem

I like ATR quite a bit but man that new track is a wank fest. Fucking garbage. I miss Oli Herbert.

Also, some of you guys are a bunch of bored, whiny ass drama queens. I’ve seen the vids you posted on here in the past of bands you like and the guitar tones are hardly any different than what is posted. How about we continue to discuss what’s more played out than modern metal guitar tones…the same fucking drum samples used on seemingly every metal album the past 10 years. Thats what really kills all these songs from the get.

Oli made the band for me.
I really dig Anthony Barone but the drums on the album don’t seem to display his talents the best IMO. I’m sure it’s a nice gig and paycheck though

I have one . And it can sound better but it’s stil kinda blah . It’s great for practicing for me
I always appreciate reading these opinions from people who have actual experience—it means a lot more. And I couldn’t agree more on the practicing tool—it keeps you actually playing more than a room full of amps cabs and pedals. But I do love my room full of amps cabs and pedals

I always appreciate reading these opinions from people who have actual experience—it means a lot more. And I couldn’t agree more on the practicing tool—it keeps you actually playing more than a room full of amps cabs and pedals. But I do love my room full of amps cabs and pedals
I agree with what you say as well . Axe efx can be useful but I still have not have the feel as real amps

I agree with what you say as well . Axe efx can be useful but I still have not have the feel as real amps

Man I really, really disagree. Every model I know intimately in the axe feels like the real thing to me, I mean it’s seriously there.

Man I really, really disagree. Every model I know intimately in the axe feels like the real thing to me, I mean it’s seriously there.
Even through my amps there just this thing about it I don’t like . But everyone’s different . I thinks great for lead tones . But Eden the great rhythm tones I get just . Idk . Idk explain it

Can't stand the way they went. They were amazing in the late 90s. Tried to sell out and became horrible and now this stuff. Just can't get into it.

First - I dug what Oli did way more back in the day… RIP

Second - I think the overall production here is the problem not the axe fx. Can easily make the axe fx sound indiscernible from the real deal. It’s a great product. Everyone ragging on IRs… yeah, maybe shitty over eqd IRs. If you use a good IR you absolutely cannot tell the difference at all between an ir recording and the real deal.

Everything else here production wise is just meh in my opinion. Modern sterile typical production. The real vs fake drums thing always gets brought up in these. I dig a hybrid approach like this… samples are used from the kit recorded minus the kick being fully triggered. Because it’s death metal.

Even through my amps there just this thing about it I don’t like . But everyone’s different . I thinks great for lead tones . But Eden the great rhythm tones I get just . Idk . Idk explain it
I find many digital units kind of have a smoothness to the feel that analog amps dont have. There is always this underlying feel where the low end blurs together more. Great for leads, but can make aggressive rhythms feel kind of weird. Maybe this is what you notice?

I agree that it doesn’t replicate the nuances in feel from one amp to the next, but I found that to be a positive. I liked the way it ‘felt’ and that ‘feel’ is pretty consistent amp model to amp model. It made amps I have owned and sold b/c I disliked the way they responded under my fingers (Splawn, Fryette) options that IRL wouldn’t be.

But yeah, if you can’t bond with the response of one amp, it’s going to be frustrating

I find many digital units kind of have a smoothness to the feel that analog amps dont have. There is always this underlying feel where the low end blurs together more. Great for leads, but can make aggressive rhythms feel kind of weird. Maybe this is what you notice?
Have you owned a Fractal?

I agree that it doesn’t replicate the nuances in feel from one amp to the next, but I found that to be a positive. I liked the way it ‘felt’ and that ‘feel’ is pretty consistent amp model to amp model. It made amps I have owned and sold b/c I disliked the way they responded under my fingers (Splawn, Fryette) options that IRL wouldn’t be.

But yeah, if you can’t bond with the response of one amp, it’s going to be frustrating
Everyone hates my tone to play on it , it’s so tight and there’s a fight but the kelps the tone how I want . But ya the feel of my amps people really hate

Back