Thiele 1x12 owners, ever tried one with an EV SRO alnico?

Nigel Tufnel

I picked up an all original alnico SRO recently and I'm lucky enough to have a good friend who is one of the best cab builders in the biz. Sooo, it's time to put a cab around that speaker, I've got the tl-806 cab plans from EV and given that the SRO was the predecessor to the 12L the thiele cab seems like a natural choice. I'm kind of worried about front mounting the SRO, don't know if it was designed to handle it, they don't have quite the monstrous basket that the 12L does. So should I go for the thiele, or create something else custom for it? I'm just wanting something to play through around the house and quick grab and go use if needed. Smack me upside the head with some thiele knowledge. :thumbsup:

I had a Mesa Thiele cab that came with a EVL .... It sound great with any speaker I put in it and recorded great. Best 1x12 I ever heard. I think 2 of them would just be great for a W/D/W set up for the wet stuff. I often wish I did not sell it.

Thanks Steve, I think I'm gonna go with the thiele cab. I was worried that it would only get along with the 12L since it was designed around that speaker. I haven't been able to find much info about people putting other speakers in thiele cabs. Good to know that they can get along with other speakers too. :cheers:

I have been using 2 Mesa Thiele cabs with 12Ls in them. Amazing. I have been mixing them with the BL EVs in Bogner cubes, more low end, not as articulate as the Thieles. I just got an SRO off the 'bay tonight, so I will try that as well. If you decide you don't like your SRO let me know as I'd like another.

I am wondering whether the Alnico SRO would work better in an open back 1x12? Any thoughts for those who have tried that?

How I'm thinking of running them:

SLOStereoFlow.jpg

My experience with the EV speakers is they do great cleans and leads .... but like other speakers better for crunch. It is a big sound. Just got my two EVL out of storage from back in the mid 90's .... I need to put them in a cab.

Back