This dog probably saved my life

Clig Herdunkachuk

I have introduced Henry on the pet pics page before. He passed away in January from a congenital defect at 3 years old, but today he became the dog that saved my life.

1683332439565.jpeg

Henry had a habit of jumping on my crotch. He was not delicate. In September 2022 I had blood in my urine after he had used my crotch as a trampoline yet again.

I decided to go the urologist to make sure there was no serious damage. Long story short, it all unraveled pretty quickly. I was diagnosed with Gleeson 7 (4+3) Adenocarcinoma of the prostate. This is a pretty serious prostate cancer but still grows fairly slowly and is quite survivable.

I just underwent Radical Robotic Prostatectomy this past Monday to have my prostate removed. The surgery was uneventful, pain minimal, and I am feeling damn good.

Today I had my post op follow up, catheter removal, and got my pathology report. This is where my world was turned upside down.

My prognosis is excellent. The tumor was ”organ contained”. IOW the tumor did not metastasize. But the pathology report found that my cancer was not a Gleeson 7, but a Gleeson 9 (5+4). This form is faster growing, more aggressive, and highly lethal if it metastasizes.

According to my medical team had my surgery been delayed by just 3-4 months, the cancer would have extruded beyond the prostate and metastasized throughout my body. I would have had less than a year to live.

Had Henry not injured my groin, sending me to the urologist; I would not have gotten the diagnosis in time to prevent metastasis. I would have done my annual physical in May 2023 and just be starting to figure out that I had cancer. By the time the biopsy, preop testing, and surgery were done it would have already been a terminal stage 4 carcinoma.

God speed Henry. My little man.

Last edited:
Back