This guy was offered the job in Motley before Mick

Kapo_Polenton

He didn't think much of Nikki and thought he was a poser and a terrible bass player. He also thought Motley's music was too basic and he wanted to write real music. Apparently was around when Motley recorded Theatre because they wanted him to dial in the amps. He also backs the story that Nikki recorded next to no bass on that album after his accident and that they had a stand in. Anyway, the guy has a good voice and some tasty chops. Sort of a Pat Travers on steroids. 2nd and 3rd song are cookin.

Didn't watch vid. I have no doubt he is a better guitarist. But for me, I think Mick (and Neil and Nikki) made the band what they are and in the mid '80s, were probably my favorite band (along with Van Halen). And like him or not, Nikki wrote some great tunes - simple or not.

Hold on people, I'm a huge Mick fan and I love his work for Motley so this isn't a shit on Mick or this guy would have been so much better thread. This is just interesting that this guy was an option but wanted to play with people with more skill. On his own merit he's got chops and vocal skills. I liked the tunes. That's all. The story about Nikki being replaced is this one.. folklore or reality? It's a fun rabbit hole.

Didn't watch vid. I have no doubt he is a better guitarist. But for me, I think Mick (and Neil and Nikki) made the band what they are and in the mid '80s, were probably my favorite band (along with Van Halen). And like him or not, Nikki wrote some great tunes - simple or not.

I don't disagree. I think he's a proven song writer and crappy or not, I listen to those isolated bass tunes and it isn't like they are written for Geddy Lee. They are 4-5 notes most of the time. Not rocket science. Be easy enough with a bunch of takes to get something workable. Or, they just had someone else play the parts on the early albums until he caught up.

He didn't think much of Nikki and thought he was a poser and a terrible bass player. He also thought Motley's music was too basic and he wanted to write real music. Apparently was around when Motley recorded Theatre because they wanted him to dial in the amps. He also backs the story that Nikki recorded next to no bass on that album after his accident and that they had a stand in. Anyway, the guy has a good voice and some tasty chops. Sort of a Pat Travers on steroids. 2nd and 3rd song are cookin.

Greg has quite a history in the L.A. scene, he was in Dokken before George Lynch and replaced Randy in Quiet Riot when Randy left to Ozzy and had a few 'famous' musicians in his own band including Tommy Lee, the band was called Suite 19, as far as I know currently he does amp repair work in the L.A. area including servicing DLR's Marshalls that we used on tour!

Greg has quite a history in the L.A. scene, he was in Dokken before George Lynch and replaced Randy in Quiet Riot when Randy left to Ozzy and had a few 'famous' musicians in his own band including Tommy Lee, the band was called Suite 19, as far as I know currently he does amp repair work in the L.A. area including servicing DLR's Marshalls that we used on tour!
Thanks for chiming in. You would know :yes:

the band was called Suite 19,
At least it wasn't "Suite 17" :LOL:
Or She's only Seventeen
Or Christine Sixteen

I don't disagree. I think he's a proven song writer and crappy or not, I listen to those isolated bass tunes and it isn't like they are written for Geddy Lee. They are 4-5 notes most of the time. Not rocket science. Be easy enough with a bunch of takes to get something workable. Or, they just had someone else play the parts on the early albums until he caught up.
I always assumed Nikki was in it because he could write tunes. I assumed he picked up the Bass because it was the easiest choice. IIRC - he can actually sing better than Vince so there's that.

Since his name was brought-up, here's one of the better interviews with Trippe for any who haven't seen it and are interested (and I'm not giving any validity to Trippe's claims, just always thought this whole thing was interesting) :

With some bands, it isn't about being the best guitar player in the world, it is how you fit. Mick IS Motley Crue. The same was with Ace Frehley. He was perfect for KISS and exactly what the sound needed. Lars with Metallica, etc. I think you vibe with people and that is a huge part of the overall sound and feel.

Man, the guy could have hit it with 3 bands! That's sticking to your guns musically I guess.

Since his name was brought-up, here's one of the better interviews with Trippe for any who haven't seen it and are interested (and I'm not giving any validity to Trippe's claims, just always thought this whole thing was interesting) :

What do you make of it? I suppose it's been debunked by now but they did publish a few tour photos that def. looked like him in the Theatre pin stripe outfit. But that said, any time i go and look up a Bootleg from that tour, it's definitely Nikki. The body and the way he carries himself.., I have no question. Love a good conspiracy though. I believe what Greg says about someone else being in the studio to lay down the tracks in time or when Nikki was out on a bender. Might have been simpler to just save time by having a pro come in and record those basslines in 1 take.

I’ve met Greg, really nice guy. He does amp repairs and took him a Mesa Boogie Mark IV years ago for a tune up.

What do you make of it? I suppose it's been debunked by now but they did publish a few tour photos that def. looked like him in the Theatre pin stripe outfit. But that said, any time i go and look up a Bootleg from that tour, it's definitely Nikki. The body and the way he carries himself.., I have no question. Love a good conspiracy though. I believe what Greg says about someone else being in the studio to lay down the tracks in time or when Nikki was out on a bender. Might have been simpler to just save time by having a pro come in and record those basslines in 1 take.
I agree and I don't believe Trippe's story - he probably believed it but from what people who knew him said, I think he had some major issues, sadly, and just latched-on to this Nikki fantasy.

Back