This was pretty cool - Sotto doing Yngwie (again)

Dino needs some work on his lip synching because he looks like he should be whispering for that voice but Sotto still sounds pretty good even if he strains a bit more and has lost some power. (probably with some studio assist) All to say, Yngwie used to write some killer material. Appropriate for the times.

Howie crushed it too!!!! They all did. (y)

That was great. Soto is still really good.

Guitar was good as well, but Yngwie is the master and his stuff is hard to do. You can hear the mistakes with the 3 notes per string arpeggio descends as well as the bend right before another E string descending run.

My only problem with older albums is they all lost to the loudness war. In my car, most albums I put to volume "25" and to me that is blasting it volume wise; as opposed to albums like Marching Out, I have to put to at least 30 for the same perceived volume. If I have every song on shuffle and forget to turn the volume back down after a Marching Out song, boy my ears will nearly bleed.

The biggest disgrace in album production, and it is so freaking quiet and poorly produced, is Thresholds by Nocturnus.

My only problem with older albums is they all lost to the loudness war. In my car, most albums I put to volume "25" and to me that is blasting it volume wise; as opposed to albums like Marching Out, I have to put to at least 30 for the same perceived volume. If I have every song on shuffle and forget to turn the volume back down after a Marching Out song, boy my ears will nearly bleed.

The biggest disgrace in album production, and it is so freaking quiet and poorly produced, is Thresholds by Nocturnus.
Do you have any DAW software?
If so, import the tunes in and bring them up to 0Db or as loud as you want.

I just can not stand Dinos fake voice .. he might as well be a robot
Don't look at him while he sings. Just put on some of the covers he has done on youtube, the guy has an incredible voice. Does the Dio, Coverdale thing perfectly. Sort of a blend of the two plus some crazy wails. I liked his Queen cover. Serious chops and control. Feels the music although albeit, a bit too dramatically.

True, but so much shit now is so squashed and crispy on the edges because it is already maxed out and then our shitty car speakers push it further. I was noticing that the other day, so compressed and splatty on the top end. Maybe because they have been pushing more "detail" and top end into music as digital can really cut and dissect things that way. The result is what we have now. Analog was smoother overall which is sort of a nice thing for guitars and cymbals. That said, some of those 80's mixes really don't hold up lol. I can't believe they were "engineers".. likely a designation given to themselves.

True, but so much shit now is so squashed and crispy on the edges because it is already maxed out and then our shitty car speakers push it further. I was noticing that the other day, so compressed and splatty on the top end. Maybe because they have been pushing more "detail" and top end into music as digital can really cut and dissect things that way. The result is what we have now. Analog was smoother overall which is sort of a nice thing for guitars and cymbals. That said, some of those 80's mixes really don't hold up lol. I can't believe they were "engineers".. likely a designation given to themselves.
I dont have the knowledge to comment about the top end of anything, all I know is if it sounds good to me or not. There are good and bad albums production wise in every Era.

Which leads me to another side question, when did casual (or perhaps more serious) music listeners start being concerned with album productions? Was it a thing in the 70's or 80's to be like, wow that's some real muddy bass drum or bass guitar. Or, that guitar is too treble or honky? Granted that was when there were actual records that people put on a record player....did every single album sound good? When did people become so nitpicky about album production? (Myself included)

Back