Thoughts on Peters GNL?

I have a "Metalhead" modded JCM 800 2203 (Dino Fear Factory Demanufacture mod) for sale on reverb and got offered a trade for a Peters GNL/Halo. What do you guys think of those amps? They seem really growly in clips I've heard. However the GNL clips I've heard although heavy and downtuned, seem like they are set for a more hard rock rather than metal sound. Thoughts?

I'll give my 2c. :)

It can be aggressive and tight, but it tends to showcase your guitar/pickup's tendencies. So if you're using really aggressive pickups (and/or in a fairly resonant sounding guitar) the sound will get more aggressive/compressed. If not it can sound more "laid back". It's not meant to be a total fire-breather...but it can easily sound like one. It's also relatively smooth across the frequency range despite being growly; there are no really large peaks in a particular range. So you can adjust the EQ to make it more thumpy/snappy/singing/etc. and it's not going to fight you. So if you're looking for "the most aggressive amp on the planet"...maybe this isn't the best choice? But it can sound pretty fierce under the right conditions. Oh and the tone is awesome. :D

I hope that helps!

JamesPeters":1sdvbzb0 said:
I'll give my 2c. :)

It can be aggressive and tight, but it tends to showcase your guitar/pickup's tendencies. So if you're using really aggressive pickups (and/or in a fairly resonant sounding guitar) the sound will get more aggressive/compressed. If not it can sound more "laid back". It's not meant to be a total fire-breather...but it can easily sound like one. It's also relatively smooth across the frequency range despite being growly; there are no really large peaks in a particular range. So you can adjust the EQ to make it more thumpy/snappy/singing/etc. and it's not going to fight you. So if you're looking for "the most aggressive amp on the planet"...maybe this isn't the best choice? But it can sound pretty fierce under the right conditions. Oh and the tone is awesome. :D

I hope that helps!
From the man himself! Thanks.

Back