Thoughts on the new Periphery album?

I loves it! I heard Holdsworth was suppose to be on there but I didn't see his name anywhere. If you haven't heard of him Wes Hauch is a beast too!

Spaceboy":29oq6m27 said:
It still sounds sooo juvenile to me... it's the vocals, mostly.
I agree with you but not entirely. I don't totally dig his vocals but it's better than having death growl the whole damn time. I LOVE heavy music but I get wore out by all screaming and no singing. There needs to be balance. Personally Maynard form Tool is one of the best at that for me. A lot of people want them to go just instrumental, which would be great, but I generally like the direction they are going. I think he might still be finding his voice. Dude can sing but I agree with you that sometimes his actual singing (not screaming) seems a bit whinny or juvenile as you put it. His scream/singing voice is great you can actually hear what he is saying.
But All in All I really dig the instrumentation. Vocals are hit or miss with me in a lot of bands. Guess thats why I'm a guitar player :LOL: :LOL:

:gethim: I dig singing, and audible/definable/intelligent yelling. But I dislike whinny metro-sexual singing. Yeah, Maynard is one of my favorites, there are many more. The whinny singing style needs to be driven out. Ewwww.

DoomBuggi":18v2mcsw said:
:gethim: I dig singing, and audible/definable/intelligent yelling. But I dislike whinny metro-sexual singing. Yeah, Maynard is one of my favorites, there are many more. The whinny singing style needs to be driven out. Ewwww.

Darroh Sudderth. Look him up. Check out Fair to Midland. Incredible singing...jaw dropping, in fact.

Blitzie":2m4l3yut said:
DoomBuggi":2m4l3yut said:

Darroh Sudderth. Look him up. Check out Fair to Midland. Incredible singing...jaw dropping, in fact.

I totaly agree Fair to Midland has an amazing singer has the pipes and puts on an amazing show always. Living in Dallas I have seen them quite a few times and try not to miss a show. :rock:

The new Periphery is pretty good but like mentioned I cant stand all the whining sounds kinda of boy bandish. The music though is quite put toghether in my opinion...

Meh. I might be impressed when they have an album that's all new music, and not a collection of new-ish stuff and songs from 6 years ago. And I can't stand the production....it makes it damn near impossible for me to listen to it.

Spaceboy":usy07rfn said:
Musically, IMHO, it oscillates between intriguing, interesting, annoying and talented.

Vocally, is my biggest beef with it :dunno:

DoomBuggi":1oni90gj said:

:hys: I couldn't agree more. It makes me imagine a spikey haired guy wearing hip huggers and a belly chain or something :bleh:

To be fair I didn't bother to listen to new stuff yet. There is one thing that stops Periphery from being a great band IMO and that's the vocals. That particular vocal style is just about my least favorite out there.

The unfortunate part is that I think the rest of the band brings a great deal of legitimate musicianship. With their credibility as high as it is at this point they should be able to lure better singer to take their band to the next level. There's no shame in it, many legendary bands have done the same.

tripstan":1395ug1e said:
Spaceboy":1395ug1e said:
I agree with you but not entirely. I don't totally dig his vocals but it's better than having death growl the whole damn time. I LOVE heavy music but I get wore out by all screaming and no singing.

Little boy band vocals, whiney vocals, and the sound of puking don't do it for me either. If Periphery would get a singer past puberty, they'd sound great.

At least they sound good as a band, they can actually play, and play at a pretty high level. That in itself is a plus in today's computer manufactured music scene.

"Press Enter" is still by far my favorite thing Misha has done (and it's instrumental). Also really dig the drawn out instrumental section of Racecar on the first disk. Haven't heard the new stuff yet.

thx for the link, giving it a listen now, 15 minutes in some awesome layers/melodys

will probably need a second listen, i will say i prefer the original instrumental version of scarlet by haunted shores (holcomb/mansoor)

I agree with everyone on here that I really did not like Spencer's vox. I will say that he definitely has the skills, but he needs to take his tampon out somethin' fierce. This is not Boys-2-Periphery...

I do love me a good death growl, but I'm talking Mikael Akerfeld style, I AM SATAN kind of death growls. Not this screamo crap. Other than the singing, I really liked the album. The songwriting is much more coordinated than their last album IMHO.

I would honestly prefer the clean boyband-ish singing on every song rather than wimpy growls. It does fit the music decently, but when he gets his voice harsh there's no power there.

Spaceboy":1hpcbxuq said:
I would honestly prefer the clean boyband-ish singing on every song rather than wimpy growls. It does fit the music decently, but when he gets his voice harsh there's no power there.

I would have to agree. If you're going to death growl, at least pull it out of the pits of hell. Not out of your Smart Car :D

Periphery redefined an entire genre while beating it down with a bat at the same time. New album isn't mind blowing.

Back