Tinnitus Folks - Experiences & Solutions

It's totally possible to adjust to tinnitus to the point where you dont even notice it. I'm going through a rough time with it right now but most days I dont even hear it. The trick is to just accept it and try to stay busy and not think about it!
This is true, but for some people that have it bad and for a long time - it can def wear on you and not always easy to just not think about it. My friend and I went to a Pantera concert earlier this week. He has really bad tinnitus and 70% loss hearing in one ear. I brought my good ear plugs like I always do. He had those cheap foam things from Walgreens. I gave him mine because I didn't really need them. Lamb of God was much louder BTW. Pantera was just about perfect volume wise. But the weak before, I was at a Van Halen tribute thing and when the guitarist did his 'Eruption segment' it was soo fricken loud I had to put my fingers in my ears. Now that's bad. Jamming on my Splawn at its sweat spot doesn't help my tinnitus - which I would classify as about 10% annoying. need to wear plugs more when I jam :(

1) I'm currently 28 but started noticing there was maybe something going on around 24/25, I was playing in bands and gigging with loud amps a lot during that period, plus I listen to music quite loud with in ear buds (which I was told by an ear doctor is pretty bad for your ear health in the long run).

2) Started wearing ear plugs to rehearsal and gigs (both playing shows and seeing shows), switched on the loudness restriction on my iPhone to one of the lowest settings to stop blasting music without thinking. Went to an audiologist who checked my ears and said I was too young to really have any proper issues, advised my hearing was still fine. It's really not that bad, I know it drives some people absolutely mad but it fades into the background like 95% of the time for me.

3) Currently don't gig, I got a wrist injury (still no idea what it really is) that stops me from playing any more than 20-30 minutes a day, had to quit my band as a result as I couldn't commit to anything. That has taken me out of the firing line of loud amps for the time being so there's that.

4) Never fully quit due to the above, but had to strip things back massively. Not in relation to tinnitus though. During the time where I was starting to notice it I didn't stop but did start being more mindful of things.

Had tinnitus earlier but really increased in 2002, was recording guitar at home, turned up the volume in the headphones to compensate for the loud guitar amp in the same room. Štupid. Ringing didn’t stop after the 72 hour period afterwards, which meant it was permanent. Was really careful with my hearing for the first while after that, then not so much after a year or 2 lol. I’ve definitely increased it a bit more since then.

Over time, you can get somewhat used to it, avoid quiet rooms as they’ll drive you nuts. I’ve had a fan on in my bedroom every night since. I have a device that mimics rain and nature sounds at the T frequencies that helps mask it and soothes quite well to I can get to sleep.
Xanax in small doses helps when it’s really bad, I rarely take it anymore for that.

The thing to remember is, your brain amplifies sounds that are considered a threat, for example, noises like footsteps, the walls creaking etc are perceivably louder at night when everyone is asleep and you are awake than they are during the day. Your brain is turning up the volume of the T because you are distressed by it. So you need to recondition yourself (easier said than done) to not be stressed out by the sound, which takes time. You can spend thousands on tinnitus retraining therapy, where you wear a hearing aid that produces a lower whoosh sound. What happens is you get used to the whoosh sound being there, so one day as part of the therapy you remove the hearing aid and your brain is shocked by the loss of the whoosh sound and is searching for it, so the sound of the T is diminished because it’s no longer being focused on.
But I never did this, over time you sort of get used to it.

If you google and search the news there are some new promising T therapies in the works that might actually reduce the volume of T, if they pan out if will be a nice relief to improve my T after over 20 years.

^ That is all very interesting. Good stuff. I'm 56 and don't have it too bad. Maybe because I'm still kinda new to the whole amp thing and never gigged obviously. Like I said if I'm in a quiet room it is maybe 10-20% there in the background. Sometimes I feel like I can convince myself or 'will' it to go away, partially by not thinking about it.

I’ve had a fan on in my bedroom every night since. I have a device that mimics rain and nature sounds at the T frequencies that helps mask it and soothes quite well to I can get to sleep.
We do that. As a matter of fact, we will purposely take a fan with us on the road or ask in advance. My wife has tinnitus worse than I.

I have it, but it doesn't bother me. It started in my 20's, like many others here. It's worse now because of my line of work. I work on drilling rigs on land or in the Gulf of Mexico. I don't use hearing protection. I just don't think about it. I also sleep with a fan on of some sort, like japetus mentioned.

Run ocean waves on a loop on iPhone 👍
We don't allow iPhones in our house but my wife has an app that will do that. Now we want to take the sound of the spring at our cabin and run that on a loop, but have not figured how to do that - but admittedly have not looked hard yet.

But I'm going to have to start wearing earplugs every time I play my amp moving forward. I have some good ones, including the ones I have with my chainsaw - but willing to spend some bucks to get some good ones for audio.

Started in loud bands when I was about 13 or 14. I’m 55 now. Too stupid back then to even know better much less know about ear protection. The shit they had back then would have ruined the whole experience anyway.

I couldn’t tell you when exactly but I hear the constant hum of cicadas 100% of the time. I’m used to it. My hearing is still good enough.

Back