Tiny Little 60 Tube Head - 1- 12ax7 Pre and 2x 6L6 Power tubes - 1 Bottle fine, one burning bright red? Smelled like it was burning????

I purchased a cheap Chinese 60 Watt tube head to use at rehearsals. Today was the first day we tried it (brand new) and we where trying to see if it would stand up to a drum kit at practice. Everything was going fine until about 2 hours in. After that we smelled something cooking and we looked at the back of the amp and one of the 2 6L6's was glowing like a Christmas tree. I'm hoping it's just a bad tube. They are just cheap Chinese tubs that came with the unit.

I apologize, I don't know much about how they work or are designed. It has 2 channels, clean and overdrive. I was using just the clean channel getting my sound from a separate pre-amp. Everything sounded great and it was putting out a ton sound only about 1/2 up on the volume. I wanted to ask if the 2 6L6 tubes are always working equally regardless of which channel is selected or did one tube cook because I was only using the clean channel. I would think they both work regardless but I don't know so I'm asking.

We shut it down and looked carefully checking the tube seats and chassis nothing else seem hot. Checked the transformers and they were just above warm.

I'm hoping it was just a bad tube that got banged in shipping to the states. I did plan on replacing them all anyway. What do you think?

Yup, I'd replace the tubes, but you'll have to check the bias. Even if it's cathode biased, you should still check where its at.
Also check the screen grid resistors, and replace if defective.

Back