Tips for Bogner Uberschall Twinjet amp settings

sacguy71

Hi all,

I am a first time Bogner Uberschall Twinjet amp owner and need some tips on amp settings for the clean channel 1 and high gain channel 2.
Also the global depth and presence controls are confusing to me. I play classic rock, blues, thrash metal and downtuned high gain modern metal.

Clean Channel: • Volume: 5 o'clock • Presence: 5 o'clock • Treble: 5 o'clock • Middle: 5 o'clock • Bass: 11 o'clock (be very careful with this one, not too much) • Gain: 3 o'clock High Gain Channel: • Volume: 1 o'clock • Presence: 1 o'clock • Treble: 1o'clock • Middle: 1 o'clock • Bass: 1 o'clock (be very careful with this one)

This is straight from the manual, and where i started with mine. and it is a damned fine place to start
http://www.bogneramplification.com/manuals/UBERSCHALL TWIN JET MANUAL 2012.pdf

Ok well what would I set global Depth and Presence to for master control on the amp?
Here is what I tried recently. I also tried an EQ pedal in FX loop but sounded bad like wet blanket over the amp.
Tried using my Boss OD-1 boost pedal in front but did no good either. Did I get a bad amp or lemon or what? Do I need an attenuator to be able to get most from amp as master volume is very sensitive.

uberschall_settings1.JPG

Hi all,

I am a first time Bogner Uberschall Twinjet amp owner and need some tips on amp settings for the clean channel 1 and high gain channel 2.
Also the global depth and presence controls are confusing to me. I play classic rock, blues, thrash metal and downtuned high gain modern metal.
Love the TJ.....!!!!!!!

LOVE them!!!!!!!!!!!!

Congratz :rawk:

My words of wisdom (whatevs) for the TJ??? NO effects - just direct in to cab - all knobs at noon ('cept for your MV, that wouldn't be kind to your neighbors or any small animals within a 10mile radius, ahem) and then work from there. Bear in mind the treble, middle and bass are deductive circuits - and all work together - you lower one, another will increase - in this case, it's crucial to "EQ BY EAR" not by eye. Seriously outstanding fkn amp!!!!! Just noon'em up, sloooooooooowly bring that MV into the zone - and then go from there.

Also - if ya wanna add some serious grind - slap a Jan-GE/Jan-Philips 5751 into V1 for shits n giggles

OK so today my new Uberkab arrived and it makes a world of difference on how much better the amp sounds! So cabs are really important. I used more or less the starting point for the amp settings from the manual. Plus it looks dead sexy with all black Bogner amp and cab. The circle is complete! I do think that I can further improve tone and tightness with a compressor, noise gate and EQ. It does not really need a boost pedal.

Attachments

• bogner_withuberkab.JPG
    bogner_withuberkab.JPG
    5.4 MB · Views: 118
OK so today my new Uberkab arrived and it makes a world of difference on how much better the amp sounds! So cabs are really important. I used more or less the starting point for the amp settings from the manual. Plus it looks dead sexy with all black Bogner amp and cab. The circle is complete! I do think that I can further improve tone and tightness with a compressor, noise gate and EQ. It does not really need a boost pedal.
I found less effects the better - noise gate is always handy for sure dependent on application and SPLs used, but compressor and EQ?? I'd tailor those post-prod personally.

I found less effects the better - noise gate is always handy for sure dependent on application and SPLs used, but compressor and EQ?? I'd tailor those post-prod personally.

Depends really. If you are recording direct to a DAW, then yes, I would tend to agree using compression and EQ in the DAW is better for most cases. BUT for live performance and jamming, to get that thrash metal tightness using a compressor and noise gate with EQ is really great. Otherwise too much sag and sounds too bass/woody no matter how much I dial it in. HX Stomp is great for this as it has nice 4CM method and I can get that aggressive tight sound. If I don't use effects, it sounds way too boomy and boxy. There is a very good reason why a lot of amps like ENGL have a noise gate built in to the amp itself. So much hiss on the Bogner Uberschall amp otherwise.

Had good results with this setting in my quick riff video

I just got new Boss Waza TAE which lets me crank master and channel volumes at reasonable room levels so getting amazing tone way easier now. Pinch harmonics a breeze as this amp has massive gain and bass for days.

The TJ is a monster amp. More than any other amp, I've found that using your eyes and common wisdom to set it up may not work. Running depth very high for example, sounds great, but like shit on a VH4.

I've also gone with EL34's, sounds a little better to my ears.

Back