To those that have found an awesome Les Paul: Talk about it!

TheMagicEight

I'm interested to hear from you guys that have found that Les Paul - the one that sounds and feels amazing every time. How long did it take you to find; what's the story behind it; how would you describe the tone and feel?

I bought my '05 Les Paul Standard (faded finish) a year ago, and it's hands down the best guitar I've ever played. Feels thick and alive, with a 60s neck that resonates in your hand and fits exactly the way it should. Tonally, it's deep, tight and aggressive on the bridge pickup, but switch to the neck and the richness and depth - while retaining clarity - is astounding! The thing I like the most about it, though, is how natural the guitar is to me. When I'm playing on this one, it's everything I want out of a guitar. It's like an extension of my being rather than a plank of wood with an assortment of metal, and when plugged in to the right amp with the right setup, everything else fades away until I'm completely absorbed in my playing. It's one of the only guitars that I feel like I can do anything with, whether it be jazz, blues, rock, or metal (and anything in between). Though I love to play around with other pieces of gear, this guitar is the one that will be with me forever.

i know this is off topic but i know how you feel....i have a 1992 sg standard that is crazy....they built it with the wrong neck....it feels comepletely different than any that has came through r store....it actually feels like a comepletely different guitar compared to any other standard weve tried....its like they accidently carved a 61 reissue neck on a standard...very cool...just thought i share im bored

I found my 2001 LP Standard Plus at Guitar Center. Back in the day when A. Gibson didn't price fix everything, and B. You could haggle the GC reps down by showing them a website, and they would price match it.

I got it for well under 2K. Close to 1800, and I had them throw in a free fret dress and level, because it was fretting out like crazy.

Love this guitar. This is an old picture - I've since changed the buckers and put on some amber dome knobs, but the flame on this thing is amazing.

web.jpg

TheMagicEight":27vazbtu said:
I'm interested to hear from you guys that have found that Les Paul - the one that sounds and feels amazing every time. How long did it take you to find; what's the story behind it; how would you describe the tone and feel?

I bought my '05 Les Paul Standard (faded finish) a year ago, and it's hands down the best guitar I've ever played. Feels thick and alive, with a 60s neck that resonates in your hand and fits exactly the way it should. Tonally, it's deep, tight and aggressive on the bridge pickup, but switch to the neck and the richness and depth - while retaining clarity - is astounding! The thing I like the most about it, though, is how natural the guitar is to me. When I'm playing on this one, it's everything I want out of a guitar. It's like an extension of my being rather than a plank of wood with an assortment of metal, and when plugged in to the right amp with the right setup, everything else fades away until I'm completely absorbed in my playing. It's one of the only guitars that I feel like I can do anything with, whether it be jazz, blues, rock, or metal (and anything in between). Though I love to play around with other pieces of gear, this guitar is the one that will be with me forever.

I call dibs. :LOL: :LOL:

I have only owned 4 Les Pauls, so it didn't take me that long. I had a black LP studio forever. Always got great tone from the neck pickup, but the bridge was always a bit thin. The neck was also a bit thick for my tastes. I picked up another LP studio with a ebony neck and liked it just about the same as mine, so I sold it. I then got Thump's '73 LP custom. The LP custom was very thick and mean sounding, it had a great tone from the bridge, but could be a touch muddy on the neck. I then picked up my '04 LP standard LE with ebony board and that for me was the best of both guitars. Almost as good on the neck pickup and a nice tone on the bridge, only problem is its pretty heavy. The standard has the '60's neck profile.

I currently have the '04 standard LE and '73 custom. I do wish I still had the LP studio, as it never sounded better on the last time I played it, right before it went in the shipping box. It was also light compared to the other too, so a nice stage guitar.

After having a Manhattan Midnight 60's neck and a Heritage Cherry Faded, I went looking for a '58 VOS in Washed Cherry. The place I went had a Washed Cherry and a Tobacco Burst. I played the WC, but something just wasn't right. I asked to play the Tobacco Burst just to see if I was crazy, or if something was wrong with the WC neck. The TB had MOJO FOR DAYS. I'm not really a fan of the TB finish, but this axe has it all, the feel, the tone, the perfectly-wound 'buckers. Needless to say I bought it and sought out a WC later on. I now have a '58 WC, a '59 WC, and a '58 TB, of which that Tobacco Burst is still just the baddest-playing, baddest-sounding mofo of them all. Still have the others as well, and picked up a Raw Power just cuz I loves me some maple fret board, but that '58 TB, all PLEK'd and set up--magical. A rare find indeed.

:rock:

Cheers,

2010 Trad Pro Wine Red. My gf bought me a 2009 Trad Pro in vintage sunburst about 4 months prior and when I saw that they were releasing 100 in wine red (my fave LP color) I was pissed because I would have waited if I knew. I showed her the GC ad and forgot about it so that it wouldn't haunt me.

One day she said "let's go to GC so I can see that LP." Which was very odd because she hates GC. I told her that they would not have one because only 100 were made and blah, blah, blah... We go anyway. Walk in and there is one with a sold tag hanging on the wall. It was glorious!

My gf worked with the GC guys for weeks to track one down and bought it for me. She taunted me for about 10 minutes while we walked around the store before she said "We can't leave without your guitar." I almost fell over in the store. I didn't even notice my name on the sold tag.

Pickguard came off.
SANY0288.jpg

RockStarNick":fy6ghi3t said:
I found my 2001 LP Standard Plus at Guitar Center. Back in the day when A. Gibson didn't price fix everything, and B. You could haggle the GC reps down by showing them a website, and they would price match it.

I got it for well under 2K. Close to 1800, and I had them throw in a free fret dress and level, because it was fretting out like crazy.

Love this guitar. This is an old picture - I've since changed the buckers and put on some amber dome knobs, but the flame on this thing is amazing.

web.jpg

That thing is beautiful!! :rock:

I have had three pauls. The first was a mid 90s Studio Lite MIII. Basically a studio lite with MIII electronics, so it was H/S/H w/ a 5 way switch. Was a decent player but I never bonded with it. My second was a ~2000 Elegant that I ordered from the custom shop. Peacock with a quilt top:
IMG_1561.jpg

She played nicely, but just never sounded right. The chambering just sounds weird for heavier tone IMO. Could have also been the pickups (57 classics). I eventually traded that in on my #1 guitar ever. A 1982 Les Paul Custom silverburst. It was formerly owned by the guy in Clutch and plays and sounds better than any other guitar I have owned. Chunky, thick, and still cuts through like butter!
LPCustom.jpg

groupshot.jpg

This guitar will be buried with me.

+1 on the Silverbursts.

I have a '79 Silverburst and it's awesome. And by awesome I mean totally awesome. Like a fudge-covered mint-filled oreo with a tall glass of milk. Only, instead of satisfying your taste buds and sweet tooth, it rocks your face right off your face.

tonmazz":23u3ce65 said:
RockStarNick":23u3ce65 said:

That thing is beautiful!! :rock:

Thanks Tomazz. It sounds as good as it looks too. :LOL: :LOL:

I think I got a deal on it because there is a slight dimple in the wood, right by the center seam, inbetween the pickups. Looks as if someone dropped a marble on it, if that makes any sense. But I really don't care. You can barely see it when it's polished up.

Some nice lookin' LP's on this thread!

The only one I've played that I was absolutely floored by was a studio premium plus. It absolutely sang, and I really regret not biting the bullet and buying it at the time.

Clear finish w/ gold hardware.. :doh: :doh: :doh: :doh: :doh: :doh: :doh:

The other few I've tried since weren't even in the same ballpark.

Both purchased on ebay. Love em.

'92 Les Paul Classic Plus
IMG_1524.jpg

IMG_1527.jpg

'80 Les Paul Deluxe
IMG_2863.jpg

I've played a bunch in stores...and never could find one I liked. I'd surf around on ebay cause I thought they were pretty. I saw the '92 because it was cheap because the neck had been de-finished. Raw Mahogany. Turned out to be one of the best three playing/feeling guitars I've ever touched.
LesPaulneck.jpg

The '80 had a Bill Lawerence in the bridge...and a ton of wear and refinishing on the back...that told me that someone liked it enough to play it a bunch...and they heavier music...so it'd probably be nice. I was right.

Beater 89 Les Paul Standard. Busted headstock pro-repaired, no nitro left on neck and body, home-job cherry stained maple top, gold hardware, zebra SD custom custom in bridge and gold SD phatcat in neck.

Bought off ebay for $800 usd. Just had a gut feeling looking at the ebay pick it was good one. Turned out to be a great resonant sustaining LP with low action and great feeling neck - I was suprised how good it felt and played when I got it. Something to be said for trusting your gut.

Mike

Ya, I'm a Les Paul kinda guy I'm pretty sure... I've gone through several, and my keepers and most played Lesters are as follows:

- '57 Gold Top Darkback, 2010 model, 6th one made this year, removed the pickguard; thing has incredible action; beautiful resonance; amazingly easy to play for hours; and sounds superb.

- '57 triple pup Black Beauty, drop D tuning, my go-to "Tool" guitar. It's a darker sounding beast that the GTDB, but again, amazing sustain and resonance, gorgeous feel, and the electronics allow for a real rich sound. All gold hardware, she looks dead sexy.

- '68 Firemist, heavy as hell, maple top as opposed to the mahognay top on the BB, bright, feels higher strung that the other two, but offers real punch and clarity when played in a mix. Not as resonant as the GTDB, but holds a note real well and has a fast fingerboard. Gorgeous guitar as far as looks go, the quilted/flame on it is over-the-top.

In that order :D

V.

99.8 % of the guitars I have played I do not like. It is not who made it or some other nonsense .... I just do not think much of most guitars. It is all about resonance for me. I have several guitars, but the two I use the most are my '69 Strat and my DC Les Paul standard. The Strat I got in 1978 and LP about ten years ago. I put a Jeff Beck in the bridge .... other than that it is stock.

Most LP sound like mud to me. I look for a bright one with a full sound that resonates like a good acoustic.

fek":1w326hf7 said:
2010 Trad Pro Wine Red. My gf bought me a 2009 Trad Pro in vintage sunburst about 4 months prior and when I saw that they were releasing 100 in wine red (my fave LP color) I was pissed because I would have waited if I knew. I showed her the GC ad and forgot about it so that it wouldn't haunt me.

One day she said "let's go to GC so I can see that LP." Which was very odd because she hates GC. I told her that they would not have one because only 100 were made and blah, blah, blah... We go anyway. Walk in and there is one with a sold tag hanging on the wall. It was glorious!

My gf worked with the GC guys for weeks to track one down and bought it for me. She taunted me for about 10 minutes while we walked around the store before she said "We can't leave without your guitar." I almost fell over in the store. I didn't even notice my name on the sold tag.

Pickguard came off.
SANY0288.jpg

THAT WOMAN'S A KEEPER!!

:rock:

Back