Tonal differences expected from re-tubing Renegade??

jdsjw13

Hey guys, quick newbie question. I just picked up a Renegade head (with TM 212 cab) and I love the cleans and mild overdrive tones. The high-gain tones (and I realize this isn't marketed as a high-gain amp) however don't quite do it for me.

Here's my question: How much of the amp's overall tonal characteristics and overdrive voicings are based on the tubes (mainly preamp) and how much is based on the circuitry and design of the amp? For instance, If I re-tubed the Renegade with higher gain preamp tubes would I be able to expect a marked difference in tone or will it be more subtle? I've read other posts by some of you that say after you re-tubed the Renegade the overdrive really "opened up." Any advice or education on this matter would be greatly appreciated!!!! Thanks

JD

What is it that you don't like about it? How many hours to you have on the speakers??

Yes, better tubes will make a difference most of the time.

Depends on what kind of "high gain" you're after. The Renegade is definitely not going to give you a Rectum Fryer type of high gain, or a Mark IIc+ kind of high gain. It's definitely more of a JCM800-ish kind of gain. My understanding (and it is limited) is that a lot of that supersaturated SLO/Boogie high gain sound comes from the way the gain stages are cascaded in those amps, and I just don't think that is how the Renegade circuitry is designed, so tubes are not going to totally change that. Certain tubes will give more gain, but it doesn't necessarily change the base/core characteristics of the type of gain your getting, if that makes sense.

When I need a saturated type of high gain, I've been running a Tone Freak Severe pedal in front of Ch 1 of my Renegade - it does a pretty bang up job. I've also run the Severe in front of Ch 2, with Ch 2 set to a mid gain setting, and that also gets pretty intense. It's my "poor man's E2" for now, I guess.

Cool, thanks for the responses. I'm not really looking for Recto-territory and I'm totally cool with a JCM 800 sound. I just want something that "rips your face off" with lots of harmonic density and "palm mutey chunkiness" if that makes any sense. I have a Keeley modded tubescreamer that seems to bring it to life a little more. Maybe I'll look into the Severe pedal as well...I'm still experimenting trying to find "my sound" and want to try to maximize this amp to it's fullest potential. Thanks again

jdsjw13":3n43i6p0 said:
Cool, thanks for the responses. I'm not really looking for Recto-territory and I'm totally cool with a JCM 800 sound. I just want something that "rips your face off" with lots of harmonic density and "palm mutey chunkiness" if that makes any sense. I have a Keeley modded tubescreamer that seems to bring it to life a little more. Maybe I'll look into the Severe pedal as well...I'm still experimenting trying to find "my sound" and want to try to maximize this amp to it's fullest potential. Thanks again
Get the crap sovteks that come with it outta there and buy some NOS tubes Mullard etc..
I got a mix of mullard to tungsram and amperex in mine and if that dont due it I hit it with the bb pre as a boost or my ocd and ala Jake E Lee 80s gain and tone..and that is with gain of amp at 65%

jdsjw13":1011t1sa said:

Give the Severe a shot - it's a bit pricey ($200), but it is very versatile - has almost as many controls as a channel of the Renegade! I got mine from Tone Factor - I believe they have a return policy if you don't like it. I'm using it basically as a 3rd Renegade channel rather than a "boost" or "overdrive" pedal. I've also been messing around with the Vox Cooltron Over the Top Boost pedal. It's not exactly the same as playing through an AC30, but it captures the basic essence of an AC30 type sound. I use the Vox pedal and the Severe as my 3rd and 4th Renegade channels. Until the E2 is ready, it's working pretty well for me. If I were to get an E2, I would get an EG5 and a VX, and for $350, these 2 pedals get me a long way toward those sounds. I'm sure the E2 would get me all the way there, but you're also talking $1200 or so vs. $350...

Resonant Alien":1x8gf08c said:
jdsjw13":1x8gf08c said:

Give the Severe a shot - it's a bit pricey ($200), but it is very versatile - has almost as many controls as a channel of the Renegade! I got mine from Tone Factor - I believe they have a return policy if you don't like it. I'm using it basically as a 3rd Renegade channel rather than a "boost" or "overdrive" pedal. I've also been messing around with the Vox Cooltron Over the Top Boost pedal. It's not exactly the same as playing through an AC30, but it captures the basic essence of an AC30 type sound. I use the Vox pedal and the Severe as my 3rd and 4th Renegade channels. Until the E2 is ready, it's working pretty well for me. If I were to get an E2, I would get an EG5 and a VX, and for $350, these 2 pedals get me a long way toward those sounds. I'm sure the E2 would get me all the way there, but you're also talking $1200 or so vs. $350...
can you use the E2 on the Renegade :confused:

Thanks for your responses guys. I emailed this same question to Eurotubes and got a really good response. He basically said that he tells people that if they are at least 80% happy with their amp "stock" then he thinks that a re-tubing can make it a "keeper." I have to say that I am 80% happy with it as is I just need that little extra to take it over the top. Looking forward to hearing what this thing sounds like with the different tubes. Thanks for your help

Back