Tone difference between vh4 stereo and mono

Master_Slater

So I know what the physical differences between the stereo and monos are as well as the tubes and circuit. But, does anyone have any experience with both amps that can explain the difference in tone? If any... thanks!

I've had both. They're both VH4 amps, but...unless you need a stereo rig, there's no need to go with the VH4S.

Only difference I found was in feel, the VH4 felt more "thuddy + thump" - but that's likely cuz it's a 100W amp as opposed to 2 x 50W amps in one head. The VH4S is great for effects and splitting the signal right there in the head; but honestly, if I had a choice?? I'd opt for the VH4. Less fuss, straight up hardcore goodness. Tonally I'm sure they varied ever-so-slightly, as with pretty much all amps...but it was really the feel that I noticed the most. Ultimately, I ended up running the VH4S into a stereo cab to KISS - Keep It Simple Stupid. It ended up being something I didn't need, and since then have been a happy owner of the VH4 mono head.

It's all I can offer you.
Unkle Mo

Thanks for you input! I greatly appreciate the wisdom...I plan to run it through my stereo Mesa 4x12 and keep both master sets the exact same effectively making it a single 100w head(hopefully)...just wanted to know if there was a difference in the sound between the 2

Thanks for you input! I greatly appreciate the wisdom...I plan to run it through my stereo Mesa 4x12 and keep both master sets the exact same effectively making it a single 100w head(hopefully)...just wanted to know if there was a difference in the sound between the 2
If you have the choice between a VH4 and a VH4S, save the extra bacon and just go with the VH4. If there just so *happens* to be a VH4S for sale in yer hood and it's something you're frothing over, it'll definitely get the job done, bearing in mind it's not going to be as loud as a 100W head, and not as "big iron" feeling as the mono 100W head - instead, it's 2 x 50W heads in one headshell. Hope that makes sense.

No matter what, it sounds dope and the fact you can do some funky shiz with it regarding stereo panning/loops etc does hold some extra tire-kicking for sure. For - as mentioned - I went back to the mono head...didn't need the extra bells and whistles...or preamp tubes LOL

Enjoy!!
Unkle Mo

Thanks! That all makes a ton of sense!...the whole reason for this thread was because I had the opportunity to purchase a blueface from early ‘95 (serial #006) but it was stereo...needless to say I ended up getting it and I’m just curious as to what to expect

Thanks! That all makes a ton of sense!...the whole reason for this thread was because I had the opportunity to purchase a blueface from early ‘95 (serial #006) but it was stereo...needless to say I ended up getting it and I’m just curious as to what to expect
Well now that extra bit of intel changes the narrative entirely here MasterSlater. All bets are off as to "tonal differences" now that you've mentioned this is an earlier blue-face iteration from the 90s of the Diezel lineage. You're no longer dealing with just tonal differences based on whether it's a "typical" mono vs stereo head, you're now dealing with the fact it's a different circuit altogether from the more contemporary VH4 models of the amp in addition to the fact it's stereo.

If I could summarize any answer to the original question now knowing it's an early model blue-face and stereo?

It's going to sound completely different and feel completely different from any current model VH4. Period.

Well now that extra bit of intel changes the narrative entirely here MasterSlater. All bets are off as to "tonal differences" now that you've mentioned this is an earlier blue-face iteration from the 90s of the Diezel lineage. You're no longer dealing with just tonal differences based on whether it's a "typical" mono vs stereo head, you're now dealing with the fact it's a different circuit altogether from the more contemporary VH4 models of the amp in addition to the fact it's stereo.

If I could summarize any answer to the original question now knowing it's an early model blue-face and stereo?

It's going to sound completely different and feel completely different from any current model VH4. Period.
This is all true. The original Blueface and later Silverfaces are different animals and sound very different from each other. It might be hard to find someone who’s played both S and non-S version Blueface, but either way it should sound like one of the best high gain amps out there assuming it’s all functioning as should. The only guy I know of who’s tried both S and non-S Blueface is jonl, but I don’t know if he still is active here anymore. I’d imagine the same difference for the blueface (S vs non-S) should be similar to what they are with silver, but who knows. Maybe you should email Peter Diezel directly

I apologize, I should have been more clear on the question...I am aware of all the circuit differences between the older and newer ones. I meant the tonal differences between the stereo and mono of the same production period.

This is all true. The original Blueface and later Silverfaces are different animals and sound very different from each other. It might be hard to find someone who’s played both S and non-S version Blueface, but either way it should sound like one of the best high gain amps out there assuming it’s all functioning as should. The only guy I know of who’s tried both S and non-S Blueface is jonl, but I don’t know if he still is active here anymore. I’d imagine the same difference for the blueface (S vs non-S) should be similar to what they are with silver, but who knows. Maybe you should email Peter Diezel directly
Thanks! I have discussed this with Jon plenty of times and he has helped a lot. I just wanted other’s opinions!

Back