ToneFind.com ready - the alternative gear marketplace

stratjacket

Alright folks, it's been 6 months, taking longer than I had hoped, but the site is up and ready !!
This is the MVP (Minimum Viable Product) launch, which means it has the basic idea of what I wanted to build to function and work properly. There will be a steady stream of updates and improvements coming over the coming months. I would also welcome all of your feedback and ideas to improve.

A few highlights:
  • Fees:
    • Selling:
    • 3.5% Selling fee
    • 2.9% + $0.30 payment processing fee
    • $0.50 min and $300 max selling fee

• Trading:
    • 2% Trading fee
    • ToneFind Trading fee is calculated from the Trade value of the deal
    • Minimum Trade value = $25
    • Payment processing fee: 2.9% + 30cents (US Stripe fee) - Payment processing ONLY applies to any cash added to the deal, not the value of the deal
  • We can Buy, Sell, Make Offer and Trade gear.
  • Each Seller sets their own Shipping and Return policy. The Buyer agrees to that policy. Any disputes will refer to those policies for governance
  • No PayPal. I just do NOT agree with Paypal's policy of allowing a buyer to file a dispute within 180 days. I used a service called Stripe, which allows the use of credit cards and bank accounts. ToneFind does NOT see or store or do anything with the credit card info, that is directly with Stripe services.
  • I want to encourage and support message boards. In the future, I hope to integrate with message boards more, but right now I included a space into username to show your message board affiliation if you want to. This will hopefully help with users credibility.

Anyway, details below:

https://ToneFind.com

FAQ:
https://tonefind.com/info/frequently-asked-questions/

I posted some things to get it started:
https://tonefind.com/s

1. What makes ToneFind different?
    • Trading
      1. Other platforms discourage and will try everything they can do to block trading activity. Not at ToneFind, we love trading gear and encourage it. Other than gear message boards where there is little facilitating, tracking or safeguards, there is no place (that we could find anyway) that allows and encourages users to trade gear.
      2. We have positioned our fees for Trading as low as we can, virtually break-even, to provide a Trading platform and encourage users to explore the wonders of saving money and trading unused gear for a New Gear Day.
      3. Music Stores. ToneFind provides a platform for users to Trade In their gear as they may do if they visited your store in person. For example, accept a used guitar as trade-in plus cash for a new guitar from your shop.
    • Fees
      1. 3.5% Selling Fee vs the higher fees of the major corporate players.
    • Customer Service
      1. ToneFind was created by a lifelong musician who has bought, sold and traded gear for years and understands what shenanigans looks like in a gear deal. While we cannot promise to resolve every dispute and circumvent every scam, we promise we will do everything in our power to help resolve every dispute working with each Buyer and Seller.
    • Equal Protection
      1. We believe that if a Buyer and Seller agree to a certain set of terms, then a deal is a deal. Showing favoritism toward buyers or sellers is not in the best interest of anyone. Disputes will be resolved in accordance with those terms.
    • Message Boards
      1. At ToneFind, we have been active in the gear community for many years across many different gear message boards. We believe in message boards for sharing ideas and encourage their use. We also understand that a vast amount of credibility can be built on message boards by our users. That is why we encourage users to proudly display their favorite Message Board as an extension of their username so people will know where they come from.
  2. Why no PayPal?
    • While PayPal offers a good service, ToneFind does not agree to its policy of allowing 180 days from the transaction date to initiate a dispute.
    • ToneFind uses Stripe as a 3rd party service for Payment Processing. This allows more flexibility for Sellers to set their own Return Policy on ToneFind for selling gear. http://stripe.com for more information.

This looks good man, hope this works out for people. I especially like the trading aspect of it; apparently I'm the most metal guy in my city, I can't offer anything up for trades without getting offered Vox amps and strats/teles and that's it.

EDIT: I chucked this up on a couple other forums that have active buyers/sellers/traders, hope that's ok. If not let me know and I'll take em down, just wanted to help get some traction.

Last edited:
This looks good man, hope this works out for people. I especially like the trading aspect of it; apparently I'm the most metal guy in my city, I can't offer anything up for trades without getting offered Vox amps and strats/teles and that's it.

EDIT: I chucked this up on a couple other forums that have active buyers/sellers/traders, hope that's ok. If not let me know and I'll take em down, just wanted to help get some traction.
No that is great man, I appreciate spreading the news as much as possible. Please share all you want.

Buyer can file a dispute on ToneFind, ToneFind has the ability to issue a refund if that is needed after trying to work it out with Buyer and Seller.
Also the Buyer will be using a credit card, so he can also get the credit card company to dispute the charges and refund, but the best way is through ToneFind.

Update:
Launched a new feature to that allows people to use their Facebook, Google or LinkedIn account to create an account on ToneFind. Just choose the social media account of your choice on the signup page.

Site is growing slow and steady. Getting 2-5 new users signing up every day and about 300 unique visitors per day, but that keeps going up weby week. It’s a start...

https://ToneFind.com

Back