Tonewood Poll

What wood your guitar is made of has an effect on the sound

• Agree

Votes: 85 87.6%
  • Disagree

Votes: 12 12.4%

• Total voters
Not to pick on ya, but how the heck did you typo 22K when you meant 5K?

:cool:

Off-world arborist still not ruled out at this point.................
Nit pick away... we are discussing tonewoods after all haha! Honestly? Full on retardation, I just had a brain shart.

Don't worry though, as soon as I find some killer space wood, Ill be sure to let Rigtalk know first.

The way I see it…if I think it sounds good, it is good. For me. Therefore if I think tone wood matters, it does. It matters to me. If I think I can hear a difference then, to me, there is a difference. I don’t need to know if there is a measurable difference. I can hear it…or at least I think I can. That is my perception, doesn’t matter how I got there I don’t think.

But my old tin ears are fubar…I’m not going to tell you what you should be hearing.

Re: wood

I'd read about dead spots on fret-boards for ages but never really experienced one till a few years ago.
Both unplugged and amped one note on the high E string (10-11th fret??) was DEAD.
Hit it and it would ring for a small fraction of a second and then go completely silent.
Even resting my ear against the body you could feel/hear it just die. It wasn't a fret issue.

Talked with Ed Yoon (Suhr, Strandberg) and he told me it's not very common and no-one is 100%
certain what causes it.

Same note on different strings was fine as was an octave of the note on the same string.
So it's not frequency/resonance related. Right?

SHIT! Should have tried tuning down a whole step and seeing what that did before returning it.

Like was mentioned play a Martin D18 mahogany back /sides then a D 28 with rosewood back and sides and tell me you don’t hear a difference. Or even an old D28 to a new D28.
Over the summer I picked up a ‘55 Gibson Les Paul TV Special. A friend has a brand new one. The old one you can feel the body resonate like crazy. New one, not so much. I have not heard his, but he played mine and couldn’t get over it. Awesome guitar.
Another of my favorite guitars is an Ibanez Talman, the one that is resin cast. Awesome guitar.
Guitar woods sound different if you let them. Dial an amp to make them sound the same=Youtube video expert.
Also have two Anderson Cobras that have been my live guitars for many years. Both are the same except one os hollow and other is solid. They sound quite different.

IMO there is a difference, if someone else doesn’t hear a difference they are lucky I guess.

Over the summer I picked up a ‘55 Gibson Les Paul TV Special. A friend has a brand new one. The old one you can feel the body resonate like crazy. New one, not so much. I have not heard his, but he played mine and couldn’t get over it. Awesome guitar.

You'd probably enjoy reading through Ron Kirn's take on woods and guitars.
Dude has forgotten more about them than most guys will ever learn.

https://www.ronkirn.com/the-body
There's an article buried somewhere on his site about how the sap/resin in the wood ages
much slower than the wood itself and after many years it fully crystallizes (hardens).
He's says that's the 'thing' with really old wood guitars. I looked for a sec but couldn't find it.

You'd probably enjoy reading through Ron Kirn's take on woods and guitars.
Dude has forgotten more about them than most guys will ever learn.

https://www.ronkirn.com/the-body
There's an article buried somewhere on his site about how the sap/resin in the wood ages
much slower than the wood itself and after many years it fully crystallizes (hardens).
He's says that's the 'thing' with really old wood guitars. I looked for a sec but couldn't find it.
Will have to check that out when I get a chance.
I have heard of the wood cells crystallizing over time. Like I tell people, it tales awhile for the wood to forget it was a tree. 😁

This ‘55 I bought from the origimal owner’s family. He bought it new from the local Gibson dealer and played it everyday up until he died. It looks like it. Knew it was gonna be a good one before I even played it.

Yeah I had a 070 for ages. I can promise you no one who listened to our album wrote into me to say "I could tell you used a plastic guitar and it ruined the album for me." Funnily enough no one cared/knew!
Yeah, but aristides isn’t just some random plastic they used. I am pretty sure they spent many years trying, testing, manipulating and redesigning the formula for the material used for their guitars. And sound tests were done with each change to the formula. A lot of time and testing done. I had an Aristides. It was cool, but the majestic and special tone woods in my other guitars made such a big difference, it was very audible. If you are a fine tone connoisseur like me, you just know. I can literally hear the earth the wood grew in, the roots in the ground speak to me via the tone and tell the story of that trees life, and the source of the water the wood fed from, the photosynthesis ratio of light/growth/and absorption!!!

I can agree sum of the parts more so than maybe the individual pieces......why does a maple neck sound different than a mahogany...why does an ebony board sound different than a rosewood board?

Will have to check that out when I get a chance.
I have heard of the wood cells crystallizing over time. Like I tell people, it tales awhile for the wood to forget it was a tree. 😁

This ‘55 I bought from the origimal owner’s family. He bought it new from the local Gibson dealer and played it everyday up until he died. It looks like it. Knew it was gonna be a good one before I even played it.
I had a vintage Schecter (1983; one of the last made in Van Nuys) and the main Schecter Dream Machine forum guy uses the phrase 'Wood cells opening up over time' to describe why vintage guitars tend to have better/more complex tone than newer builds.
Dave's Guitar Shop in LaCrosse has probably 1 mil or more in vintage guitars/amps on the second floor...many 50s/60s strats/LPs/Teles/Explorers etc...I plugged a few in to some old Mesas and Vox(no Marshalls) and there is some special sauce in those 50k guitars.

Wow, tonewoods are totally DEBUNKED now! I fucking love science!! I always knew guys with cool guitars I can’t afford were really just idiots. Soon I’ll be able to just ask an AI bot to make me whatever music I want to hear anyway.

5E6040FD-5B6E-40B3-8967-46F0F8620AC5.jpeg

I had a vintage Schecter (1983; one of the last made in Van Nuys) and the main Schecter Dream Machine forum guy uses the phrase 'Wood cells opening up over time' to describe why vintage guitars tend to have better/more complex tone than newer builds.
Dave's Guitar Shop in LaCrosse has probably 1 mil or more in vintage guitars/amps on the second floor...many 50s/60s strats/LPs/Teles/Explorers etc...I plugged a few in to some old Mesas and Vox(no Marshalls) and there is some special sauce in those 50k guitars.
He used to set up at guitar shows with some expensive guitars.
Maybe some of these newer guitars will end up really great vintage guitars too. Would be cool to be able to be around to see.
Crazy to think my Anderson is almost 30 years old now.
I shoukd post the pic of the neck on this 55…man has it been played!

Wow, tonewoods are totally DEBUNKED now! I fucking love science!! I always knew guys with cool guitars I can’t afford were really just idiots. Soon I’ll be able to just ask an AI bot to make me whatever music I want to hear anyway.

View attachment 175813

This is literally what it is, soys like Glenn Fricker who don't want to spend money on something nice.

Glenn Fricker be all

DpQ9YJl.jpg

TONEWOODS DONT MATTER, PICKUPS DONT MATTER, THE ONLY THING THAT MATTERS IS THESE NEW IRS IM SELLING FROM SPECTRE DIGITAL™

PLEASE BUY THEM SO I CAN AFFORD MY WIFE'S BOYFRIEND JAIRO'S BIKTARVY©

ONCE HE'S UNDETECTABLE, HE CAN RAIL MY WIFE IN THE ASS AGAIN, AND I CAN VIDEO RECORD IT WITH MY 5000$ CAMERA WHILE I MAKE FUN OF 1500$ GUITARS AND MAKE IDIOTIC STATEMENTS ABOUT AMERICAN POLITICS I DON'T UNDERSTAND

*LOUD NECKBEARD SCREAMING*

Back