Too much Marshall

gtr31

First off let me say I love Marshall they are great
Rock amps ,but does anyone ever just get burnt out talking about them or new
Amps modded to sound like well a Marshall

It makes me personally want to look elsewhere as I don't want to sound like everyone in the crowd
I find it facinating that people are still chasing EVH tone almost 3 decades later
I mean the man is a legend but listening to solo guitar takes from early records is nothing that great

I applaud the guys out there like Diezel,Mesa,etc that are doing something different
I think I just have Marshall burn out lol

I find that a cranked Marshall is hard to beat for a wide range of music. There are of course other builders that make fantastic amps too(nothing beats a good Fender when it comes to clean tones or a Mesa rectifier when it comes to heavy rythm stuff (just my opinion)).
But i found my Marshall JVM (not so the YJM) had something really special going on. I loved that amp but the JVM has to be cranked to get the goods.
And when people compare Marshall amps to other builders it is mostly that they after all in general prefer the "real deal" (Just look at the thread about the SB and Silver Jubilee posted here for one or 2 days ago:) Friedman (fantastic amps (more refined, less raw, less sag, less open, not cutting as good as a Marshall, Fender (forget about the overdriven tones without a Pedal), Mesa: fantastic amps but have a different voicing let alone the Stiletto series (i would prefer a Marshall to a Stiletto. I could go on here for days. Marshall shaped the guitar sound of the 80`s like no other brand and most of the guitar solos at least i love from that era were played through Marshalls.
Marshalls are not as good bedroom/ small venue amps as a lot of other builders amps like Friedman, Bogner, etc.
I find Joe Bonamassa is a good example in that context. Even if he did not exclusively use Marshalls his Silver Jubilees formed his sound to a great extent. Now he switched to Fender and i find his tone lacks bigtime after that. Joe would contradict heavily here i guess....or maybe not ;)
Well you asked for it :)
So the thing i want is an amp that sounds like a Marshall also at lower volumes and with a better build quality than most of todays Marshalls offer. The Marshall Astoria could be the solution to that. Friedman comes really close as does Bogner albeit with a darker and more refined voicing.
But these are really good times for us gear nerds having all these fine amps to choose amongst. Only downside is that it is an expensive hobby- but we only live once.

janbrady_zpsan1kzol3.jpg

even though tons of guys use Marshall's, I don't think many of them sound the same. So to think that just because you are playing a Marshall you will sound like everyone else, isn't quite the case. Eric Johnson, Angus, Slash, Yngwie, Zakk, the list goes on. Very different tones to my ears.

edit
add Eddie to that list lol, I forgot about him haha

dstroud":ig3x21vz said:
even though tons of guys use Marshall's, I don't think many of them sound the same. So to think that just because you are playing a Marshall you will sound like everyone else, isn't quite the case. Eric Johnson, Angus, Slash, Yngwie, Zakk, the list goes on. Very different tones to my ears.

edit

Same thing with the Fender Stratocaster. It allows the players individual character come through like no other.

Nope never get tired, i just got done playing now.

I don't sound like anyone but me.

Im not chasing anything EVH, never had.

I have never heard anyone play a 5150 [I,II. or III] that sound like EVH.

Only Ed sounds like Ed.

When Jake Lee did the Red Dragon Cartel with the 5153 it sounded awful, didn't even sound like the Jake i saw in 1985'.

Im happy with what i got but that doesn't mean i wont buy more.

You can always play clarinet.

clarinet-2.jpg

It's all about what 'you' like. Who cares what the flavor of the week is. I personally feel the most comfortable with Marshall flavored amps, specifically the 2203/ 2204 circuit. I could never be comfortable with a Triple Rectifier. That's just me.

Well... I have a Marshall 1959 modified to a PTP board that I am modifying and tinkering with myself into a modified Super Lead type of thing, a Landry G3, a Friedman BE-100, and a Bray 4550. The only non-Marshall amp I have is a SLO. So, I do not think there is any such thing as too much Marshall. There are so many flavors of the "Marshall" thing how can you not like at least some of those flavors?

Just finished a 2204 build. Holy amp tones of the godz.

Selling my hiwatt and orange. Why did it take me so long to figure it out..

I get what the O.P. is feeling. Marshalls are a mainstay of a lot of conversations here. I love my marshall amps,tho I am not looking for the brown sound at all.

There are a lot of Mesa threads too. Recto this,mark series that. People love what they know well,that's why they talk about it.

I love trying anything new. That's how I wound up with a plethora of different kinds of amps and a much lighter bank account. And I blame this forum for that. Everything that can be considered a high gain head gets a mention here as it comes into existence....and eventually falls out of favor. There are lots of threads about marshalls and mesas and Les Paul's and strats and etc. Weed thru it all to find your bliss.

I think most guys gravitate towards tones they grew up with. Being 49 my favorite tones were made by Marshalls, so thats where I'm from. If you grew up in the 90s maybe a Recto or a Diezel, Bogner maybe? Those amps were becoming the mainstays by then. Personally I have a Marshall 2204 and a Mesa 2C+, so I have 2 different amps here to choose from.

Badronald":3mf8hmhq said:
dstroud":3mf8hmhq said:

edit

Same thing with the Fender Stratocaster. It allows the players individual character come through like no other.

Marshall amps are THE platform for rock because they do not sound the same when different people play them. Take Eddie for example, since 1978 people have been chasing his tone, his gear has been analysed to death and back a million times yet not many people have been able to really nail his tone. Certain pieces of gear just have "that" sound yet "that" sound is different for each person that uses it.
:rock: :rock:

Marshall, Fender, and maybe Mesa. Every other amp is based on one of these big 3!

I've only ever played on one Marshall that I thought kicked ass. That was... Until I got it home and cranked it up next to my Uberschall & Krankenstein, then the Marshall sounded like a little girls amp. This was a JVM410H. The JVM sounds absolutely amazing at low volumes, but once turned up it can't hang with true fire breathing metal amps. Next I want to check out a Randall Satan!

I've thought "too much Marshall" pretty much forever.

Well except for this one of course!

It's really hard to beat this tone and demo, all of that bad ass 00000000000010000000000000001000

The thing is... When you crank up the gain on those "manly" amps, it's not a practical way of comparing because I'm willing to bet that any professional recording you like is using wayyyy less gain then you would think

The next amp I get will most likely be a Fortin/Gower modded Marshall.

calvin sattler":29x02eyf said:
The thing is... When you crank up the gain on those "manly" amps, it's not a practical way of comparing because I'm willing to bet that any professional recording you like is using wayyyy less gain then you would think

You're probably right. I'm not a professional musician, so I've never had to think about it like that. I'm a bedroom hobbyist at this point, so I want my stuff to slay at home without anything else contributing.

I'd imagine a studio setting is much different, as I have trouble getting good recorded sounds from my high gain monsters. Probably because I try to record them exactly how I have them setup for live playing. Now I'm gonna go turn the gain down and see how that sounds when recording!

Back