Tool listeners - yet another question for ya!

overthemountain

Hey all,
Sorry if this has been answered elsewhere- I saw a few snippets but never really a consensus 1 way or the other, so...

I'm a big fan of Adam's tone, especially on the last 2 discs, and will be doing some Tool covers in my new band. Is VH4 Ch. 3 the only way to get that tone, or can Herbie or Einie be dialed in close to it? Thanks for your input!
Jay :rock:

With my Herbert and Les Paul, I can get pretty close to his sound on Ch 2-. Presence, Deep, Highs, and Bass at noon. Gain and mids around 3 o'clock. Mid cut off. Using a darker speaker like an H30 helps a lot too (I've got a cab loaded with them I use for this). V30s or other bright speakers don't work as well, IMO.

It's not exact, but it's close. Part of the problem is Adam Jones almost never has just one amp running, especially on studio recordings. So even owning a VH4 isn't going to get you his exact sound. Throw an old Marshall super bass in, maybe a few odd ball amps that could be lying around a studio on any given day and a 2nd VH4 on top of it all, and you probably could duplicate things. Short of that, settling for pretty close is probably as good as you're going to get. :doh:

For Lateralus and 10,000 days tone, you need a bit more gain than Herbert Channel 2 (-) mode. Running in (+) mode should yield a good useable tone. The key is to run the mids high and I wouldn't put the gain past 1:00 or so. Adam runs V30's in all of his cabs, so I don't see a problem with using them. Honestly, you can get pretty close to his sound with many amps as long as you run the gain around mid-way (for a high-gain amp) and crank the mids. While he uses the VH4 with a cranked Marshall Superbass (live), you can still get a good tone with the VH4, Herbert or Einstein.

I have a VH4 and Channel 3 nails his sound (even without the Marshall).

A few shots of Adam's rig, older and newer....

Attachments

• tool-amps.jpg
    tool-amps.jpg
    20.6 KB · Views: 1,546
  • adam-jones.gif
    adam-jones.gif
    57.8 KB · Views: 1,303
  • adamamppr2030.jpg
    adamamppr2030.jpg
    38 KB · Views: 2,665
  • adamjones2rz5.jpg
    adamjones2rz5.jpg
    28.2 KB · Views: 1,336
  • tool1.jpg
    tool1.jpg
    45.6 KB · Views: 1,284
  • tool3.jpg
    tool3.jpg
    25.1 KB · Views: 1,269
Actually they used a shitload of amps recording their last CD. Fortunately for me, I don't really dig their tone anymore.

nbarts":nye7fzdo said:
Actually they used a shitload of amps recording their last CD. Fortunately for me, I don't really dig their tone anymore.

Tool tone never gets old to me. When I get ready to unwind, on goes some Tool. Adam has never been a fret wanker, but as a quad, those guys have a hell of a lot of musical talent.

Steve

stephen sawall":zlcfj7ch said:
Most of his sound is and always has been the Marshall. It's all about the dynamics.

I don't know about that. I dig my Mesa's but the best thing he did was ditch the DR and get the VH4. He's got more VH4 live in the mix than you think. He can only play the Super Bass so loud and it turns to Plexi. I don't hear it. His tone is easily coaxed out of the VH4 though and just about anything else backing it up.

Steve

steve_k":xd245zda said:
nbarts":xd245zda said:

Tool tone never gets old to me. When I get ready to unwind, on goes some Tool. Adam has never been a fret wanker, but as a quad, those guys have a hell of a lot of musical talent.

Steve

I agree, I never get tired of that tone either. I know my ear's not nearly as good as alot of people's here and I don't have personal experience with a ton of amps, but I always thought it was more VH4 as well...

Anyway, thanks for the input, guys! I need to spend some more time with my Friedman Marshall and then looks like it will be Diezel time... :rock:

Adam Jones is def one of those guys!! Just a great player & knows where to play..not play wherever! Always had great tone & killer riffage. :D

steve_k":2k2n71jt said:
stephen sawall":2k2n71jt said:
Most of his sound is and always has been the Marshall. It's all about the dynamics.

I don't know about that. I dig my Mesa's but the best thing he did was ditch the DR and get the VH4. He's got more VH4 live in the mix than you think. He can only play the Super Bass so loud and it turns to Plexi. I don't hear it. His tone is easily coaxed out of the VH4 though and just about anything else backing it up.

Steve

I like his tone on Aenima/Undertow a lot more than on the newer albums.

They have way more bite and sizzle. The new ones sound way over processed to me. YMMV.

For what it's worth, I may be able to find the answer to the original question personally. I have an 'in' with Maynard and therefore 'the band', but have never exploited this 'in' because I never want to come across as a grovelling weirdo groupie loser. But I'll ask, and I will post.

One most important thing to realize is that his LP's are all of the silverburst varietal, and a vintage that used a metallic paint that ended up changing the tone of the guitar, to what most people felt NOT for the better. They age yellow/green due to the metallic content. Gibson discontinued this finish due to the fact it really screwed with the guitar's tones and pick up relationship with the strings. Having said all this, this weird "effect" the "faulty" paint job that once adorned these vintages of Les Paul are a huge part of what creates Adam's tone. Gibson has re-released this version but has changed the paint to not have this "flaw" in its composition.

I'll get more for y'all...but if this is a secret of his, no dice - but I will find out.

Peace,
V.

Ventura":2ii049ee said:
For what it's worth, I may be able to find the answer to the original question personally. I have an 'in' with Maynard and therefore 'the band', but have never exploited this 'in' because I never want to come across as a grovelling weirdo groupie loser. But I'll ask, and I will post.

One most important thing to realize is that his LP's are all of the silverburst varietal, and a vintage that used a metallic paint that ended up changing the tone of the guitar, to what most people felt NOT for the better. They age yellow/green due to the metallic content. Gibson discontinued this finish due to the fact it really screwed with the guitar's tones and pick up relationship with the strings. Having said all this, this weird "effect" the "faulty" paint job that once adorned these vintages of Les Paul are a huge part of what creates Adam's tone. Gibson has re-released this version but has changed the paint to not have this "flaw" in its composition.

I'll get more for y'all...but if this is a secret of his, no dice - but I will find out.

Peace,
V.

This is all complete B.S.

Not your "in" with Maynard, but about the guitar.

I own a '79 silverburst. I have played other Silverbursts. Yes, they sound different. No, it's not because of the paint. They turn green/yellow because of the top, clear coat of Nitro that is also found on every other Custom from the same time period. If you were to remove the clear coat, the paint underneath would still be silver as the day it was sprayed. They ALL green/yellow over time, not just Silverbursts. Gibson didn't discontinue the guitar due to the paint or the tone, but because sales sucked. The newer Silverbursts still have the same Nitro clear coat and metallic paint, although it's probably from a different paint supplier, but in 30 years they, too, will fade and yellow/green.

The tone of late 70's - early 80's LP Customs is due to the wiring and the pots used, which rate around 280k. This gives them a dark sound.

That said, Silverbursts tend (for whatever the reason) to be awesome sounding and playing Customs, even compared to other from the same time period. But, it ain't the paint.

The amps Adam used on the new recordings are also no big secret as both he and the producers have said what the gear was many times: Marshall Superbass, Diezel VH4, Rivera K-Tre, Bogner Uberschall, Mesa Boogie Rectifier, Sunn.

If you do have a word with Adam, though, ask him how he wires his guitars and if he really does use a Duncan JB in the bridge. :) That is probably a trade secret, though.

stephen sawall":2nwikvox said:
If you ask .... could you ask if Ænima has any Diezel on it ? .... Or is it just Marshall / Dual Rectifier ? Thanxs

From what I remember, he didn't have the Diezel until mid to late tour after Aenema was released. Doesn't mean he didn't use it in the studio, though.

FourT6and2":3gl9n0bn said:
stephen sawall":3gl9n0bn said:
If you ask .... could you ask if Ænima has any Diezel on it ? .... Or is it just Marshall / Dual Rectifier ? Thanxs

From what I remember, he didn't have the Diezel until mid to late tour after Aenema was released. Doesn't mean he didn't use it in the studio, though.

This is what I have always believed. I do not believe it is on that album myself. But would be interested to know the facts.

Alright, ALRIGHT!!!!!!! Enough already... I WILL get the facts, and I will post them and that's all I can do. It'll be after Christmas though - everyone's way too busy.

AS FOR MY COMMENTS ABOUT THE LES PAULS, specifically the late '78s to the '81s. I certainly don't want to get into a pissing match, but I have an email direct from Gibson stating (and yes, you're quite right), the lacquer finish is part of the tonal texture, but as well - THE PAINT itself had a metallic quality to it that affected the overall response to the pup's magnets, strings, and resonance between them. I will scourge up this email and post it just FYI. Suffice it to say, there are a NUMBER of things that create Adam's tone - has anyone ever seen the custom made synth the band ports a lot of its music through? It's a piece of work. Furthermore, a story about Clapton (Eric, that is). Showed up to a bar in Chicago for the Bluesfest a few years back. After some hangin' with mutual friends and so forth, he was encouraged to go on stage and join in. Not using his guitar, and definitely not using his amp selection (which is a mix between old school Fenders and a Soldano). ANYWAY - steps up, turns the volume up on the strat, and guess what - sounded just like he always does... Now ain't that something??? Tone is in the hands. I do believe this. But sure, nice gear helps too :yes:

Lemme see if I can drum up that email from Gibson's custom shop...

V.

I had a silver burst custom about 1985 .... I agree the paint does give a different sound than the rest. It is not magic .... it is physics. I also believe you are very right about the tone in the fingers. I sound like me no matter what gear I use.

.... and thank you for doing this.

Back