Torn between amps for "the one".... help please

RR628

Hey guys

So I've pretty much stuck with the old faithful 6505+ head ive had for 10+ years but now that I'm getting a lot more serious with my recording and writing music in a band im trying to find " that one" amp so to speak.

I fell in love with the Uberschall years ago when I found out my favorite sounding lead tones by one of my favorite guitarists where recorded with it. I played one when the twin Jett models where still made in a music store and was blown away ... problem is even used they're still priced at 2.5-3k now and hardly any for sale . I might have to wait for one.

Ive been tone chasing through youtube and sound cloud clips listening with my monitoring headphones through my interface the last 16 hours and feel ive narrowed it down to three amps.

Orange Rockerverb/TH

Rivera Knucklehead

Bogner Überschall

All 3 have similar types of tone but still sound distinct from what I could tell. The uber is the only one ive played in person so im not sure how the other compare IRL but that was also 5+ years ago too.

I don't play extreme metal like grind, black , BDM etc but I really dig that type of guitar tone with just the right amount of tightness. I mainly play thrash and melodeath styled stuff.

I still love the peaveys but im just not 100% happy with the thin and compressed sterile voicing it has. I want that dark, bottom heavy , thick tone that doesn't get too fizzy with alot of gain.

the only maybe that didn't make the list was the VH2. Some demos sound killer and some sound like overly fizzy ass tbh like the tubes are dying or something. Diezel is too expensive for a gamble like that IMO.

So Which of these amps do you think would suit what im looking for the best ? thanks

Get the Uberschall, I think you'll only be happy with that. I don't think you would dig the Orange.

I was actually leaning towards that one the most. I was kinda wow'd by how much gain you could get out of them and how they kinda have that evil doom/sludge sound but I dont doubt the uber could demolish it side by side. The orange amps definitely have a more vintage crunch sound their gain .

Definitely Uberschall of the ones you listed. You might also like the Mesa/Boogie Mark series amps or Megaltih Beta even though you didn’t mention them

I like the Dual Rec but it doesnt wow me and still has that saggy recto sound even though its less than the triple rec. I hate the triple rec though. I had a friend in high school with one and you could not dial the sagg and fizz out.

Ill definitely check out the mark series. The mark IV iirc is a big part of Lamb of Gods sound.

Get the Uber, but in the meantime if you can find one and want something cheaper to tide you over, get a Peavey Ultra.

Not sure where you're located, but if you do decide for the Uber, (shameless plug) I have an Uber on consignment at Atlanta Discount Music for $1,999
http://atlantadiscountmusic.com/product/used-bogner-uberschall-head-with-footswitch/
Not sure how to message on here.

I’m in CA and there’s actually a rev blue in my city on offer up but the guy wants 3200$ for it 😂 it’s the older model with the cloth covered grill too

There’s no info on shipping. Is it local pickup only ? I’d definitely buy it if I had the money right this second. I only have about half of that put away atm until I get paid again next week.

I’m willing to pay for the cost to ship it.

Last edited:
I like the Dual Rec but it doesnt wow me and still has that saggy recto sound even though its less than the triple rec. I hate the triple rec though. I had a friend in high school with one and you could not dial the sagg and fizz out.

Ill definitely check out the mark series. The mark IV iirc is a big part of Lamb of Gods sound.
Sounds like the Recto’s may just not be for you, but the older 2 channel ones do sound richer, more organic. They all have that sag, but that’s also part of what makes them great at the same time, but maybe just not suited for what you want

Yes, the mark IV’s or earlier marks I think can all potentially be up your alley based on what you said. The Uber’s, particularly the earliest versions are to me the easiest feeling amps to play, lotta fun

Not sure how to message on here.

I’m in CA and there’s actually a rev blue in my city on offer up but the guy wants 3200$ for it 😂 it’s the older model with the cloth covered grill too

There’s no info on shipping. Is it local pickup only ? I’d definitely buy it if I had the money right this second. I only have about half of that put away atm until I get paid again next week.

I’m willing to pay for the cost to ship it.
Pretty sure the store would ship it for you. They're some good dudes to work with, just his em up.
I'm actually in Louisville for work and the store is in Atlanta.

Orange Rockerverb/TH

I don't play extreme metal like grind, black , BDM etc but I really dig that type of guitar tone with just the right amount of tightness. I want that dark, bottom heavy , thick tone.
Hi,
If you're thinking about Orange amps, have a listen to this: (see the whole video for different sounds/flavors)

A boosted Recto will get as tight as an Uber, with a much more raw, lower mid voicing. I compared my friend’s Blue Uber directly with my Triple Rec and the Mesa had more growl and aggression. The Uber still sounded great though.

Hey guys

So I've pretty much stuck with the old faithful 6505+ head ive had for 10+ years but now that I'm getting a lot more serious with my recording and writing music in a band im trying to find " that one" amp so to speak.

I fell in love with the Uberschall years ago when I found out my favorite sounding lead tones by one of my favorite guitarists where recorded with it. I played one when the twin Jett models where still made in a music store and was blown away ... problem is even used they're still priced at 2.5-3k now and hardly any for sale . I might have to wait for one.

Ive been tone chasing through youtube and sound cloud clips listening with my monitoring headphones through my interface the last 16 hours and feel ive narrowed it down to three amps.

Orange Rockerverb/TH

Rivera Knucklehead

Bogner Überschall

All 3 have similar types of tone but still sound distinct from what I could tell. The uber is the only one ive played in person so im not sure how the other compare IRL but that was also 5+ years ago too.

I don't play extreme metal like grind, black , BDM etc but I really dig that type of guitar tone with just the right amount of tightness. I mainly play thrash and melodeath styled stuff.

I still love the peaveys but im just not 100% happy with the thin and compressed sterile voicing it has. I want that dark, bottom heavy , thick tone that doesn't get too fizzy with alot of gain.

the only maybe that didn't make the list was the VH2. Some demos sound killer and some sound like overly fizzy ass tbh like the tubes are dying or something. Diezel is too expensive for a gamble like that IMO.

So Which of these amps do you think would suit what im looking for the best ? thanks
Let me tell you something, in my 26yrs of playing guitar and trying out amps etc, enjoy each one you try/buy/own and GO FOR THE ONES you truly want. Don't cheap out on yourself, if you are truly inspired by the gear for creation of music itself and get enjoyment out of it, then GET the one you know you really want. We all KNOW deep down the truth, which amps we really want and enjoy vs others... don't lie to yourself, get the fkn Uber.

Grab an Uber rev green. This is someone who loves a 5150 II that’s modded as well.

You won’t be disappointed and they’ll compliment one another quite well.

A boosted Recto will get as tight as an Uber, with a much more raw, lower mid voicing. I compared my friend’s Blue Uber directly with my Triple Rec and the Mesa had more growl and aggression. The Uber still sounded great though.

In the duals defense the only one ive played was a amp sim in the helix and I didn't spend much time with it. Going off of good quality videos they either sound really good or saggy and kinda loose. They are probably the closest you'll get to an uber due to their really dark voicing which I definitely dig. Alot of bands that have used Bogner Ubers have used Rectos alot as well.

Ola makes it sound pretty killer in this video. You really need to try an amp in person to get a concrete impression and maybe Id like the recto alot more than I think and need to try another one.

Let me tell you something, in my 26yrs of playing guitar and trying out amps etc, enjoy each one you try/buy/own and GO FOR THE ONES you truly want. Don't cheap out on yourself, if you are truly inspired by the gear for creation of music itself and get enjoyment out of it, then GET the one you know you really want. We all KNOW deep down the truth, which amps we really want and enjoy vs others... don't lie to yourself, get the fkn Uber.

I definitely agree. Thats why until recently I only played RR1s until Jackson decided to make the USA standard production line cost as much as custom shop guitars. Im also the type of guy who keeps things simple and hates the whole GAS and tone chasing BS because you're never happy with anything at the end of the day. I strongly believe in the "if aint broke dont fix it" way of thinking. I find something that wows me and I stick with it.

I dont need 10 different amps or 20 different guitars that all feel and sound different. I just want that one evil sounding amp that gives me the tone that I want. Thats all ill ever use for everything. Ill still keep my peavey and maybe use it to tone match covers but it probably won't see much play time after I get a Bogner.

Back