Tough decision Einstein

max

I’m new to the forum so hello all, after playing Einstein I definitely want one, but I can’t decide should I go with 50W head + new Diezel cab, or combo, I was playing head version, and it convinced me :rock:

I don’t have the option to test both. I will mainly use it at home, “apartment” volume, so what would you recommend? Head + Diezel cab or combo? Is there any difference in sound at all?

I hope to hear some opinions from people playing both.
Thank you..

Combo, size alone should be the factor in an apartment.. The combo also comes with reverb which is a nice option.

I use the Einstein combo for live work, and recording sessions. It is a terrific amp. When I want to use an extra cabinet, I use a Diezel 2x12 along with it and have a three speaker combination which gives up a different tone then either 2 speakers or four speakers. I still have the option of using any other combination I want, but if you desire reverb, only the combo has it.

50 watts is plenty loud enough for any job, if you add extra cabs to the single 12" speaker for louder work.

The advantage, however, of a separate head, is that you can isolate the cab away from the head if needed and can also do this onstage.

I really becomes a toss up, depending on your needs.

How much room do you have in the apartment?
That would be my first question.

I went with the Einstein head and 2x12 cab. I like the extended bottom end out of the cab as opposed to the combo setup. I also like the fact that I don't have to carry all 75 lbs at once. The head weighs about 45 lbs and the bottom about the same if not slightly less. I love the fact that they put side handles on the side of cab and not just a handle at the top (like those odd mesa 2x12 cabs have!) It's easy to carry and move around with the wheels.

Either way, you'll be getting an amazing amp!

Thanks all for replies; the size/weight does not bother me, I have enough room, otherwise I will move some furniture out :LOL: :LOL: ,the combo has reverb advantage, but lack of 1 speaker.

My major concern was the tonal difference between combo and head, but since nobody mentions this as drawback I suppose that in general for non stage volume it doesn’t make big difference?

max":3a8a5pig said:
Thanks all for replies; the size/weight does not bother me, I have enough room, otherwise I will move some furniture out :LOL: :LOL: ,the combo has reverb advantage, but lack of 1 speaker.

My major concern was the tonal difference between combo and head, but since nobody mentions this as drawback I suppose that in general for non stage volume it doesn’t make big difference?

I advise you on the Head if you buy an ultimate cab like Diezel or Bogner 2x12 otherwise for nonstage i'll go for the combo. Remember that the combo also permits cab connecting.

those little combos friggin rock! dont let it fool ya, and you can add a cab if needed. pretty sweet indeed :rock:
peace
A Wood

I use my Einstein 50 Watt Head exclusively in a full-time coverband & it's awesome. I mainly use it with a 1x12 open back mesa cab due to stage volume restrictions in most of the venues I play although every once in awhile I'll use a 4x12 when we're playing outdoors etc. This may sound corny, but I've never really liked combo amps from an asthetic point of view especially on top of a 4x12. I don't care for reverb either so that's never been an issue for me. My only suggestion would be to get the 50 watt version of whatever you chose. It's got plenty of headroom for most any situation in my experience.

peace,
-d

i know what you mean about looks, i always put my rack or combo off to the side of the stage or behind the cabs themselves, i do however dig reverb for clean stuff especially the country chickin pickin thing.
peace
A Wood

van hellion":l9c929a1 said:
i know what you mean about looks, i always put my rack or combo off to the side of the stage or behind the cabs themselves, i do however dig reverb for clean stuff especially the country chickin pickin thing.
peace
A Wood

I actually use a little slapback delay for that kind of stuff instead of reverb. I think it's because I can't hear reverb as well in a live situation? Too many bands, too many bars, too many beers, too many years on these deaf 'ol ears of mine! :LOL: :LOL: Shit! Now there's a country song I should write! :D

In deciding b/w the combo or the head, my only concern would be preference for a closed back sound. I would much rather play through a closed back cab for most of the tones that the Einstein produces...however, the open back sound is great...just different! HOWEVER, If I were planning on using the Einstein w/ some heavy tones, I would definately get the head and use a 2x12/4x12 NO DOUBT. That way, you have the balance/tightness/low end/hugeness. Otherwise, the combo would sound great.

Hope that helps!

Back