Tourmaster 4212 Transformer issues...my turn

Jshlnrd

Let me start off by saying I love my Tourmaster 4212. I've owned Mesas, Marshalls, Fenders, A Matchless, A Hi-Watt, a Dr Z! A Randall...none of them....I repeat NONE OF THEM have come close to giving me the tone and versatility that I get out of my Tourmaster 4212. I don't need any pedals...just straight from my Les Paul into my Tourmaster, and I have the tone I've been searching for for the past 20 years.
I play in a fairly popular psychobilly band here in East Tennessee, where I live...and since I got my Tourmaster (the imprEGNATER) as we like to call it...I don't think I've played a single show where I haven't been asked about my tone...and I always preach the love of Egnater, and suggest them to all of my friends.

A year or so ago, my amp,fell over during a gig, and it broke the back out of my AC inlet...I took the amp apart and glued it...and it has worked just fine. A couple of weeks ago, my "Glue Job" finally gave out, so I emailed Egnater support to ask about price and availability of a replacement. To my surprise, I got a phone call the next day from Blad. He was super helpful, confirmed what part I needed, and emailed me the credit card paperwork to order one...at a very reasonable price.

Well, the next day, I went to rehearsal, and fired my amp up,to warm up the tubes and the AC fuse popped. No big deal, I had extras...but the next one blew as well. After reading some troubleshooting tips online, and from past experience I figured I had a bad power tube, and I emailed Blad about some tube compatibility questions (2 6l6's and 2 5881's...because that was all I could find locally). He informed me that it sounded like a transformer issue. I decided to change all of the power tubes anyway In hopes that my original inclination was correct...but to my dismay...ev n with the new tubes...my fuse popped on fire up. I removed all of the tubes, and replaced the fuse again...and it popped...so after researching this forum and a few others...I learned that the transformer was a known issue with these older tourmasters.

I emailed Blad again, and asked if...possibly...since it was a known issue with these transformers, maybe there was some kind of recall or exchange policy in place. I realize my amp is out of warranty, but I guess I was just HOPING that a company with such a good reputation would make good on something that so common Bly failed on that particular piece of gear.

No dice.

Blad emailed me back promptly, and informed me that there was no recall because "not ALL of these transformers failed" which I think is a BS policy. He did work with me on pricing, and quoted me a discounted price on a replacement transformer...but it is still out of reach.

I'm a 36 year old working musician. My day job? I gave up my career in Nashville as a studio engineer when my dad passed away to move back to East Tennessee and tak care of my mother, who has Parkinson's disease. My days consist of administering her medication. Preparing her meals, taking her to the Dr, etc. I can not presently hold down a day job with these responsibilities. I'm not complaining...my mom took care of me for a long time..she put me through college, etc...and it pleases me to be able to return the love she has always given me.

I'm not saying this to try to gain sympathy, or make myself out to be some kind of saint or marter....that's just where I'm at...so even at the discounted price Blad quoted me....it might as well be the price of a new amp..because there's no way I can swing it...and with my amp being down, I can't even try to make money to buy the part.

I'm not complaining about Blad...he's a super nice guy. He's been extremely helpful to me, and reached out personally when I contacted customer support online...which is unheard of in this day and age...ESPECIALLY in the music retail industry. I realize he is doing his job...and doing it well...so I am in no way trying to take a jab at him or put him down.

I didn't tell Blad about my financial situation, or my situation with taking care of my mother, because I realize my sob story isn't going to change the parameters that he has to work within.

I guess I just wanted to post in this forum, because I feel that with such a good product, and good reputation, Mr. Egnater may want to help out a loyal customer, and brand ambassador in order to continue his company's reputation.

If it weren't a part that was known to fail....I wouldn't even bring it up..I just feel like, even if not ALL of these transformers failed...even if 30 percent of them failed..lithe company should make good on them, due to their reputation for good craftsmanship...and in my opinion...for building the best damn amp on the market.

Thanks,
Josh

i got mine replaced back in 2011. i raised hell with the last customer service guy till he gave in. my amp was an old one, and the output tranny popped. message bruce egnater on here and get him involved. totall bullshit that they wont cover this for you.

Back