Transformer identification

lessarti

Hey all,

I decided to search "how to identify" Wizard transformers etc, just to curiously discover what my amps transformers are etc.

When I look from the front of the amp, I am reading the far right transformer has a format code "WRD O 100 "X" , so whatever the letter that is substituted in the "x", is the transformer right?

If so, my 2010 MTL just say "WRD-O-100MTL" and the 2016 MC II say s"WRD-O-100V", does that mean V transformer for the MC II ?

I am confused what the heck the MTL is then...it doesn't say A/C/V ...

Ok ok I get it, the transformer conversations have long been beaten to death... but can someone provide some insight as to my assumptions being correct about the MC II being V transformer? And lastly, MOST importantly to me at least, is the MTL a C transformer despite no obvious indication ? Just based on the year made in 2010 I assume C.

I think most everything built after 2015 is a V transformer. When I ordered my MTL in 2016, I asked Rick about various transformers and he said at that time it was all V. My 2014/15 MC2 had a V, 3 MTLs had a V, my Hybrid has a V, my MC2 KT150 had V and the W800 had a V.

V for your mcII. I have the v transformer also.
What about the MTL though made 2010?? It just says WRD-O-100MTL so no indication of A/C/V. I am guessing C with 90% conviction, just hoping someone can add that 10% nudge lol

I WILL say this, the MTL is brighter / spikey vs MC II so I think all the discussion about V being smoother is true!

Hey bro, I had a 2012 MTL and it had the C transformer… I would put money that your 2010 has the same.
It (C) is more raw and overall brighter, not as smooth, nastier, In your face, upper mids… Some like it, some don’t… The new V transformer is very even and a good even mix of everything.
…this is your 10%😉

Had an interesting realization....looking at my MC25 which is an early run version, the OT is a Mercury Magnetics / Radiospares 018RS-l which is designed for 18 watt EL84 Marshall type amps...I know the newer runs have been "updated" and there's now a specific Wizard OT from MM in there. I've decided to chase down a 2nd MC25 newer version, curious what the difference will be. Maybe I don't want this one updated after all ? Besides which Rick told me yesterday he's months out from being able to get mine in for any work at all...

When I ordered my Modern Classic II in May of this year (2021), I expected it to sound like this:

That is a 2007 Modern Classic 1 with what I'm assuming is a C transformer. My amp didn't sound like that. It sounded like this: (V transformer)

I realize there were circuit changes between the Modern Classic 1 and 2, and both players are using different guitars, pickups and cabinets. But I believe the transformer type plays a big part in the sound. In the end I didn't gel with the Modern Classic II and ended up with a JCM 800, which is more my speed. I still don't know if the Modern Classic 1 with a V transformer sounds different than the Modern Classic II.

Last edited by a moderator:
Fwiw I had an earlier mc25 I now have a later mtl and I know the circuits are different Etc but the mc25 had way more aggressive upper mids and was a lot brighter . The mtl is def a little more tame in the highs . Also it feels easier under the fingers . Or I have got better at guitar haha 😂

Fwiw I had an earlier mc25 I now have a later mtl and I know the circuits are different Etc but the mc25 had way more aggressive upper mids and was a lot brighter . The mtl is def a little more tame in the highs . Also it feels easier under the fingers . Or I have got better at guitar haha 😂
Reasonably sure I have your old MC25...yours was an ARD logo'd version if I remember correctly. It's an aggressive , unforgiving little amp. It passed through two more hands before it got to me 4 years ago or so with a new stock head shell....interesting to note too that the transformer is the what was used in an 18 watt Marshal type circuit, Also that Rick has done substantial updates to that amp and it now has a different transformer. I'm still looing to grab a 2nd MC25 as a backup but find myself wondering about a 50 watt MCII. My gut feeling is that the newer MC25's will be different, not so sure this one needs an "update " as it sounds epic.....if it aint broke....I just love the small format of this head, Rick will not build anything else on this platform but an MC25, he's sick of me asking hahah

Reasonably sure I have your old MC25...yours was an ARD logo'd version if I remember correctly. It's an aggressive , unforgiving little amp. It passed through two more hands before it got to me 4 years ago or so with a new stock head shell....interesting to note too that the transformer is the what was used in an 18 watt Marshal type circuit, Also that Rick has done substantial updates to that amp and it now has a different transformer. I'm still looing to grab a 2nd MC25 as a backup but find myself wondering about a 50 watt MCII. My gut feeling is that the newer MC25's will be different, not so sure this one needs an "update " as it sounds epic.....if it aint broke....I just love the small format of this head, Rick will not build anything else on this platform but an MC25, he's sick of me asking hahah
haha ! Yeah that’s the one was an awesome amp ! I liked the ARD headshell . It took me a while to get back in the wizard camp . But the mtl is equally as awesome 🤟🤟

Back