Treble Boosters and Fixed Wah Pedals

V-man

I had a Sunlion (with on-board Beano boost) and loved it but had to part with due to financial necessity. While a SD-1 and MXR D+ work with my Marshall 1959, the amp is more finicky about drive, and I recall how well the TB stacked with fuzz.

All that said, proper treble boosters are not cheap to replace. I started screwing with a Q-zone fixed wah and the amp seemed to respond in a similar way to the beano boost. I have read others making due with wah pedals in a fixed position and similarities w TBs, and am wondering whether I get enough out of the q-zone such that a $150-$250 is not worth the squeeze.

Thoughts? Are there acceptable TB substitutes with Wahs/boosts/ODs or is there nothing comparable to the TB in your experience?

I don’t use them in the same context as you, so I can’t give the best answer, but to me TB’s are unique in what they do in both they’re eq curve and maybe more importantly the germanium flavor they add, so IME if you want that sound you can only get it with a TB

Plenty of clones and pedals in the 100-150$ range that will do what you want. Range master clones and others. Or, just grab an EQ pedal and dial in the fixed wah tone and good to go. Wah's in the sweet spot are great (Michael Schenker) but they also rob a bit of the gain in my opinion so i'd sooner go to an eq where you can find the bands you want but also boost those.

Plenty of clones and pedals in the 100-150$ range that will do what you want. Range master clones and others. Or, just grab an EQ pedal and dial in the fixed wah tone and good to go. Wah's in the sweet spot are great (Michael Schenker) but they also rob a bit of the gain in my opinion so i'd sooner go to an eq where you can find the bands you want but also boost those.
That is the thing about a fixed wah… it has an input gain and actually acts as a drive pedal with a Q and a freq knob, all of which suggest to me the potential for TB properties (minus the aforementioned point about germanium transistors- notwithstanding the fact that Si also was incorporated).

I'm interested in a fixed way pedal also. I've never messed with one, but I've had my eye on a Q-Zone.

Back