Tremolo Bridges and Tone

Bardagh

I'm sure this is the sort of thing Glenn Fricker would start screaming like Bobcat Goldthwait about because nothing changes your tone, but I recently went through three different bridges on a partscaster and was surprised at the difference in tone that each one had. This is even in an EMG loaded guitar, and everyone also says any guitar with EMG's sounds the same - but it ain't true!

I first had a Vega Trem in this guitar, then a Wilkinson WVC-SB, and finally a Gotoh NS510TS-FE2 (that's a mouthful).

The Vega Trem is obviously the most different bridge on the list and it sounded the most different as well, not even getting into the whammy aspect. What surprised me was it actually was the least bright, which made it seem like it had a bassier or fuller sound. It had a very immediate attack as well and palm mutes sounded chunky.

When I switched over to the Wilkinson (I had wanted the Gotoh but until recently no one had the black ones in stock anywhere) I was really surprised when I plugged in and it sounded so different. It was brighter, seemed less bassy, "airier" and rounder. Palm mutes were not as sharp or as chunky. I don't know how much this has to do with this being the bridge that has vintage style bent saddles while the other two have block saddles. It actually sounds very nice, particularly on the single coils I have in this thing, but I primarily want a thrashy sound from this instrument so I looked forward to eventually putting in the Gotoh and seeing where the tonal differences fell then.

Well, having recently installed the Gotoh and gotten everything set up again, there is yet again a change in tone. I think the block saddles have a lot to do with it because that is the primary difference between this bridge and the Wilkinson. The immediate, sharp attack is back. Palm mutes sound thrashy. It is a little brighter than the Wilkinson, or rather the brightness is not as "airy" but more kind of sharp. Harmonics come out the easiest on the Gotoh. I found myself dialing the treble and presence a little differently from where I had it before. The Vega Trem still stands out as having had the seemingly thicker sound. The Gotoh wins hands down in the sustain department for whatever reason.

All three of these have steel sustain blocks but the Vega Trem was the lightest. It also differed in that the main part of the bridge is only connected to the part that’s screwed to the body with a knife edge, which is how it pivots smoothly. The Wilkinson and Gotoh are both 6 screw traditional strat bridges.

The other difference I noticed is where the strings sit in the sustain block. The Vega Trem is the shallowest in that regard.

Interesting story and thanks for the write up.
I've always been curious of how different trems/blocks affect guitars differently.
Pics would have made this more cool.

Interesting story and thanks for the write up.
I've always been curious of how different trems/blocks affect guitars differently.
Pics would have made this more cool.
Clips would have been even better, but I’m not swapping all these bastards back out.

I was going to sell the Vega Trem but after going through these I think I’m going to keep it for a future build. It really is a great sounding and feeling trem.

Back