Trying 7-String

dvoricci

I’ve been playing 6-string for over 20yrs, and I’m starting to get interested in trying 7’s. I play in an active crossover Thrash band, and I’m all set with my tone, etc for that.
My question is, I’m going to be starting another project leaning more towards Death Metal, really dark stuff. My own thing, but think...Skeletal Remains, and Deicide with more ambient effects added in.

What do you guys recommend for 7-strings out right now? Scale length, Tunings, etc. I like the sound of the standard tuned 7’s I’ve heard, and a half step down. I’m digging the 2 guitars I posted, but it’s up in the air.

Attachments

• 4FF34099-C5B4-4A69-9554-1ECFBD4A943C.jpeg
    4FF34099-C5B4-4A69-9554-1ECFBD4A943C.jpeg
    111.8 KB · Views: 286
  • 438CE106-9990-4EB5-B9A5-DE0A371E29E3.jpeg
    438CE106-9990-4EB5-B9A5-DE0A371E29E3.jpeg
    168.6 KB · Views: 289
i fucking love 7s. kinda same boat as you. been playing for 20+ years and finally got my first 7 about 8 months ago. wish i had gotten one way sooner. it was really easy to transition. i love having a 6 string guitar in standard tuning and then an extra bass string. i am writing riffs i never would have before and i feel like it has motivated me to progress a lot. my current band is in drop a and we do modern metal, thrash and doom.

i like 26.5'' scale and i also like 27-25.5''. i currently just have 2 cheapo jacksons which are actually great guitars. i put hipshot locking tuners on them and put bkp war pigs in my #1.

I think my next guitar will be a km7 w that sustainiac pickup.

It's hard to beat a used Ibanez Prestige in terms of quality and playability. The typical RGs are 25.5 inches, the RGDs are 26.5 inches, and I think there's a new "reissue" RG1077XL with is 27 inches.

Honestly it's a bit hard to tell the scale length's apart, but after owning dozens of these things, I do kinda like the 26.5 inch scale. 27" is a bit further to stretch and harder to bend, but 25.5" kinda feels cramped and loose now.

Schecter uses the 26.5" scale a lot as well, but the Korean quality control seems to be hit or miss. An Ibanez Prestige would have to be absolutely smashed for it to not play well.

Thanks for the quick replies fellas. I really would like to try a quality one out, but there’s nothing local. Most of my buddies are 6-string metal & hardcore guys. The album “Devouring Mortality” by Skeletal Remains, and the most recent Revocation got me pumped on trying one. I’d love to start a project in the vein of those bands, because it wouldn’t affect the writing of my other band. No sloppy seconds for riffs, haha.

I would go with a MIJ Jackson on the cheap I think. I had two at two different times and they were great guitars for $200-300 but I just couldn't adapt to the 7 string either time. That's just me though.

If you want to spend $600-800, look at an Ibanez Prestige RG1527. they are sleepers.

sleewell2":2nwtbd88 said:
i like 26.5'' scale and i also like 27-25.5''.
Same.

I have both and both are awesome. My one hang up is the first fret angle on the multiscale seems a little severe. Nothing you can't manage but I'm interested in a 1" fan.
The upper fret access on a ms is so good.

I will urge you to get something nice. I had my first 7 string like 15 years ago, cheap 7321. Then an agile 727.

I quit playing 7s after a few years and just got back into it. A good quality guitar makes a huge difference to me just as with 6 strings. It's just better.

I currently have a km7 MK-iii artist and a Reaper 7 multiscale the KM is obviously nicer and my go to but the Reaper is also super awesome.

I am unsure what scale length you'll need. I tune to Drop G and its pretty sick. Have the 6 strings in D standard and a super low G, works out well but scale length technically should be based on your tuning and tension. There is some science behind it and I should probably be using a 28.5" but 26.5" is a very good length and probably a great starting point.

The 27" Agile from what I remember felt like a bass. Even that half an inch can make a difference so dont go too big but the multiscales do not feel that way at all. I am unsure if this is accurate but the board feels like the same length and the scale difference only being that the frets are fanned.

Not sure what else to say. Get a 7 and then 6s will feel like a child's guitar after you get into it for a bit.

sleewell2":3ggja5bt said:
i fucking love 7s. kinda same boat as you. been playing for 20+ years and finally got my first 7 about 8 months ago. wish i had gotten one way sooner. it was really easy to transition. i love having a 6 string guitar in standard tuning and then an extra bass string. i am writing riffs i never would have before and i feel like it has motivated me to progress a lot. my current band is in drop a and we do modern metal, thrash and doom.

i like 26.5'' scale and i also like 27-25.5''. i currently just have 2 cheapo jacksons which are actually great guitars. i put hipshot locking tuners on them and put bkp war pigs in my #1.

I think my next guitar will be a km7 w that sustainiac pickup.
Pretty much. Sixes for 25 years, got some 7s last year and wonder why the F I avoided them. Sold some sixes got some more sevens, never going back.

I went schecter, i am left handed and like their neck profiles.

I like the newer Schecter 7's, the last Jeff Loomis 7 string superstrat shaped model they did was great. I also like all the KM7 series (basically the same guitar as the Loomis but with a more "standard" look --- I'm selling my KM7 Mk I on here in fact (shameless plug) and keeping my MkII. The JL7's/KM7's have a lot of good features (26.5" scale, Hipshot bridge, stainless steel frets) only weak points are the pots and switches, which work but just eventually go bad.

The Ibanez RG1527's are great as well if you're looking for the Ibanez thin neck setup --- this looks like a killer grab to me w/great pickups https://reverb.com/item/32614886-ibanez ... loss-black

Back