TS9 or OCD?

I have a few dirt pedals around. Triple Wreck (beast), Xotic AC boost, OCD, Wampler Ego Compressor (I know it is a comp, but it also gives a bump when dialed up).

I have this $20 off coupon for Guitar Center. So it would be $79 for a tube screamer. But it is downtown Atlanta traffic...

So is there anything amazing about a TS9 an OCD or AC boost does not do?

Edit: This will be for use with a DSL and SD pups in Epi LP for party gigs doing rock covers. Cheap but pretty good is the plan...

Honestly, the two could not be more different. The TS9 has a sort of "cardboard" quality to it, a smooth tone (although a bit nasally or honky), and a distinct mid-hump. The OCD is much more amp-like in sound and response, as it responds to dynamics in pick attack and feels like you're playing an amp. It has more gain on tap and is meant to be played through a clean amp and act as its own gain source, whereas the TS9, while it can be used as a dirt pedal-such as SRV- it's strength IMO is boosting an an already overdriven amp to hit the front end harder and tighten things up. I did not like the OCD as a boost at all!! It never seemed to compliment any of the amps I tried it with in any setting (JCM 800,900, recto, Mark IV, XTC 101B) and it always presented a "hard" sort of attack that made all the amps feel grainy and unmusical.

The Tubescreamer is very "flat" sounding and the OCD is big sounding, although I found it very grainy and harsh in most settings compared to pedals like my Lovepedal Eternity and BB pre. It has a very Fendery gain voicing, which isn't always the most pleasant tone in my opinion. It very mildly covers JTM territory, except that there are hardly any of the sweet mids that those amps possess. So basically:

OCD= somewhat scooped and not very 'sweet', yet very dynamic and realistic as a gain pedal
TS9= flat and not very dynamic or amp-like, but very effective as a boost or as a dirt box for certain tones.

FWIW, while the TS9 IMO is a good boost, I much prefer the warmer, fatter and less honky 808 style circuit as a boost.
Only played an AC boost once-not enough to judge- but I LOVE the BB pre! It acts as a perfect od/distortion into a clean amp and it boosts the front end equally well.

why pay more when you can pay less?? Bad Monkey! See if you like the flavour.

BB preamp, I liked it BUT like all xotic pedals (had the RC too and I hear this in the AC), there is this unatural high figh sound that colors the natural sound of the amp and after a while when i recorded, I could really hear it. Drove me nuts. The GT OD from MXR gets good ratings. I also have a ZW OD which is a noisy pig but i like the crunchy gain quality so i find it works well with my amps. I mentioned the GT OD because there is a switch inside that allows you to toggle between its "green" side and the ZW OD side! 2 for the price of one.

Kapo_Polenton":b8c68em6 said:
why pay more when you can pay less?? Bad Monkey! See if you like the flavour.

BB preamp, I liked it BUT like all xotic pedals (had the RC too and I hear this in the AC), there is this unatural high figh sound that colors the natural sound of the amp and after a while when i recorded, I could really hear it. Drove me nuts. The GT OD from MXR gets good ratings. I also have a ZW OD which is a noisy pig but i like the crunchy gain quality so i find it works well with my amps. I mentioned the GT OD because there is a switch inside that allows you to toggle between its "green" side and the ZW OD side! 2 for the price of one.

The MXR Classic OD is the same circuit and also has the switch inside for the two voicings. :yes: And it costs $40. I played them side by side and there was a hair of difference but it was hardly noticeable, and I wouldn't say one or the other is better or worse. I went for the Classic. For the price it's hard to beat.

Edit: Thought some GCs still had these in stock but after a search it looks like they're getting harder to find. :doh: They were $40 new...
20100713234055.jpg

I just finished some ear damage with the DSL. The SD Rio Grande bridge pup is good with it. Full of LP crunchy goodness. maybe I am just getting old, but I like a LP into a cranked Marshall and 4x12. Rock, it does a body good.

I will def do a side by side of the 808 and MXR classic. Probably just get the MXR no matter how it compares with the 808, just to have a decent cheap dirt box. $40 is stupid cheap for something that sounds good. I will look for a Bad Monkey.

Thx!

No idea why nobody mentions the Sonic Edge J&J Overdrive. I have used all those mentioned above and right now I use and live the J&J!!!!!!!!

Second choice is Xotic BB or AC.

if it's the coupon from the latest catalog, make sure you check the restrictions to make sure both companies aren't excluded from the offer. literally EVERY major brand is on the exclusions list. i was gonna pick up a 5150 III mini until i read on the back of the coupon that EVH wasn't participating in the offer; and then saw that pretty much any brand whose gear i would ever consider purchasing wasn't participating either.

JimmyDoomsday":1ckjf475 said:
if it's the coupon from the latest catalog, make sure you check the restrictions to make sure both companies aren't excluded from the offer. literally EVERY major brand is on the exclusions list. i was gonna pick up a 5150 III mini until i read on the back of the coupon that EVH wasn't participating in the offer; and then saw that pretty much any brand whose gear i would ever consider purchasing wasn't participating either.

That totally blows when they pull that shit :gethim:

Thankfully I get my little artist discount and know the store manager outside of "the store".

Richedie

I will look for that Sonic Edge. There are so many dirt boxes.... What amp are you hitting with that pedal? I will be mainly using a DSL.

I love the sound of a TS9 or 808. I guess I have just used it for so long. Punch a JCM800 in the mouth with one of those and that's a killer sound. I know what your saying glassjaw, but paired with the right amp and the right settings, it's anything but flat if used as an boost or OD. Unlike a lot of people, I love that mid hump lots people complain about.

richedie":2pbwp1xl said:
No idea why nobody mentions the Sonic Edge J&J Overdrive. I have used all those mentioned above and right now I use and live the J&J!!!!!!!!

Second choice is Xotic BB or AC.

Most people have not heard of the Sonic Edge J&J overdrive, myself included. So what you do like about the Sonic Edge so much?

To answer the OP's question, I would go with a TS9 or TS808 type, they are known to do well boosting a DSL. :)

I boost my DSL (green channel, crunch mode, amp gain at noon) with an OCD V4 and the tone is awesome... HUGE. Totally reminds me of a 2203. I did the same with my XTC Classic, as well as my EL34 Shiva. The OCD was so musical and "alive" that I ditched my boring, tame stock and modded TS9s soon after it showed-up.

Vito both and get a Visual Sound Route 808 for $110
Just as much mids, slice and cut as a TS9, and all the thick, fat dynamics of the OCD.

Back