Tube layout in the Competition

cvogue

So I'm in a discussion on FB with a guy who has a Competition and we're all discussing preamp tubes. I was wondering what the tube layout is for the Competition.

In the QuickRod/Street Rod V1 is the Clean channel primarily, V2 and V3 are primarily for the dirty channel and V4 is the phase inverter.

The Competition doesn't have a clean channel tho, so I was wondering what the tube layout is.

I looked at the manuals on Scott's site but the Comp manual has the same layout as the QR/SR, talks about the clean channel (cut/paste error? 😉)

here you go :)
http://www.splawnguitars.com/Comp_PS_Manual_New.pdf
here's a snip of the screen as well.
Screenshot 2021-04-17 185706.jpg

Cheers

Yeah, what Bash Man posted is for both Comp and Pro Stock. The confusing part is that that is an exact copy/psate from the Quick Rod manual. Now the Competition is a single channel version of the Quick Rod (as you know). So to narrow this down, how many preamp tubes does the Competition have? I'm guessing 3 including the PI. The original QR only had 3 pre's as well so when Scott wanted to improve the cleans on the QR he added a "New V1" and bumped everything else down the line.

Doesn't exactly answer your question but if the Comp has 3 preamp tubes then both V1 and V2 are handling nothing but input and OD

Yeah that manual is just a cut/paste I think. Most Splawns are set up that way...
Yeah, what Bash Man posted is for both Comp and Pro Stock. The confusing part is that that is an exact copy/psate from the Quick Rod manual. Now the Competition is a single channel version of the Quick Rod (as you know). So to narrow this down, how many preamp tubes does the Competition have? I'm guessing 3 including the PI. The original QR only had 3 pre's as well so when Scott wanted to improve the cleans on the QR he added a "New V1" and bumped everything else down the line.

Doesn't exactly answer your question but if the Comp has 3 preamp tubes then both V1 and V2 are handling nothing but input and OD
Makes sense!

interesting!. thanks for posting the pic.

To my understanding, the far right (closest to the Power Tubes) is the PI (best recommendation I can give you is the Sovtek 12AX7LPS).

Cheers

far right at power tubes is the PI, First tube closest to the input is V1 and it goes on down the line.

Back