Tube rolling in my amp with surprising results.

GuitarGuy08

It's late, so forgive any mistakes or typos here:

I found the best tube combo(s) for my amp recently and I was surprised! (Though I guess I shouldn't be)

I have a Rivera Clubster Royale Recording Top. 25w. 3 12ax7, 2 6v6's. Tight and punchy as can be. Anyway, this amp has a Modded Fender Blackface style clean and a Drive channel w/ a boost. The clean has that massive headroom and huge cleans but not nearly as harsh on the top end and has a bass that can be large but is tight.

The drive channel is just beautiful. The punch and tighness is paired with touch sensitive dynamics and clarity. I recently rolled a number of NOS and reissue tubes in the amp. Preamp and output section. I had never been into NOS tubes but tried a Mullard and was wowed at the change compared to the number of other tubes I was using.

To skip a very, very long story short; I tried a mix of CBS/Hytron long plates, Mullards of all sorts, RCAs of every year, Sylvania, Amperex, etc.

These tests were ran with RCA blackglass 6v6's. Leaving these in this amp.

Pre amp tube time.

I tried so, so many in here and....RCA Black plates won for all 3 positions. Dead quiet too, even with gain and volume cranked. Lucky!!

The last tubes I thought I would dig in the amp are Black Plate RCAs, as I assumed they would be like the grey plates. Don't get me wrong, I like RCA long grey plates for certain spots, but these present a lot of bass and treble with not as much mids and I find myself always leaning toward a very aggressive mid bite and snap w/ a very present bass.

I ended up getting a Black Plate from a guy, just to try after taling about my amp. I really liked it in V1, so I ended up grabbing a backup. These don't sound like other RCA tubes. The bass, middle, and top are ALL present, unlike that smoothed off top end a Mullard would have (Though that sound is very desirable).

Well, I popped that backup into v2, which also feeds the reverb tank and loop and....the clarity is unreal. You can hear every little detail of a reverb or delay. The extended top/bottom end and clarity is astounding.

Next thing ya know....I HAD to know. Ran RCA black plates in all 3 preamp positions and WOW. When I played the first note, my wife was stunned, as she had heard me before tube rolling. I was also stunned. In 15 years she has never had THAT reaction and I've never had really 'bad' tone or anything, I've always gotten compliments but....this is unreal. I would not have believed it unless I had went through it all myself.

These black plates in this amp are insane. The harmonic frequencies and beautiful fullness and three-dimensionality of the sound is really wonderful. You feel the notes in a way that is just different. The gain always stays clear and crisp, as the BPs are not squishy at all. I did end up rolling through a number of different ones in different spots, as each has its own slight sonic charatcersitics of a slightly sweeter top end, slightly more bass, etc.

Cleans are stunning. Bass is MASSIVE and the top end is absolutely extended into the heavens if you want it to be. The mids are very present, organic, and musical. These tubes take and present effects like no other. I'd say this is the best tube for heavy rock/metal and fuzz. No matter how much distortion and fuzz you hit it with, stays tight and sweet.

I did not expect to have a box of NOS tubes from the 50s for this amp but... here we are. Now that I've heard it in all of it's glory, how could I go back?

BTW reading this you may think this amp sounds like a classic fender. Again, it has it's own thing going on with a drive kinda like a Bad Cat but much smoother and less raspy. Like a marshall met something else, Idk. Not that terrible fender distortion.

The clean channel is not that Mid-scooped sound you get from Fenders. I kinda hate that sound. Really loud but since mids are cut, the notes are...hidden or something to my ear? The clean on this amp is much more robust with a health mid mixed in off the bat but I also find the presence control to dial those in, which was not quite as expected.

Anywho, all this is to say, try different tubes in your amp! Or the same tubes in different spots!

I have tried a bunch of vintage classic 12ax7s in my Marshalls, and call me crazy, but I prefer JJs.
Not crazy! I had the same experience with my buddies modern Marshall. They sound better with modern tubes. Makes sense to me since that is what was used when designing and testing the build. We rolled a bunch of tubes in his and JJs worked the best. To be exact, a trio of Ruby tubes I gave him. SOunded horrible in my amp lol I was very disappointed. I will try to record some simple sound clips to upload. I don't want to keep rolling these BPs, as they are very thick legged but maybe I will do a comparison video of just 1 tube being changed in this amp in each position! Anywho, yeah I gotta make a clip with these BPs in.

In my experience, vintage amps LOVE tube rolling. Big differences between pre and power tube types. Newer production amps, not so much.
Vintage Marshalls especially love vintage glass.
In my recent made amps at least I find the differences to be about the same as tube rolling in any of my vintage amps, but some of them almost sound like vintage amps. I believe the OP's amp isn't a vintage amp either though. I found it’s more so in the really compressed modern amps where it gets more subtle

Another thing that gets underlooked, but IME gives similar differences as pre and powertubes is rectifier tube rolling, assuming the amp uses rectifier tubes like my vintages tweeds and Vox as some examples

Last edited:
I love seeing guys passionate about these tonal differences to explore all these rabbit holes. Really refreshing to read vs some guys lately discouraging this kinda stuff and saying it doesn't matter in a mix or recording or whatever. I liked all the tubes you've mentioned as well. In my 6v6 amps (mainly my '50's champ) my overall favorite 6v6's have been Amperex Made In Holland and both my Swedish and Italian made Fivre 5S2D's. The UK Mullard, Valvo, Raytheon (red base), JAN Philips, and Sylvania are also great all depending what sound you want. Lots to explore and have fun with

I love seeing guys passionate about these tonal differences to explore all these rabbit holes. Really refreshing to read vs some guys lately discouraging this kinda stuff and saying it doesn't matter in a mix or recording or whatever. I liked all the tubes you've mentioned as well. In my 6v6 amps (mainly my '50's champ) my overall favorite 6v6's have been Amperex Made In Holland and both my Swedish and Italian made Fivre 5S2D's. The UK Mullard, Valvo, Raytheon (red base), JAN Philips, and Sylvania are also great all depending what sound you want. Lots to explore and have fun with
Absolutely. It seems as the forum has moved a bit to not care as much about the smaller differences, that can add up to big differences to some ears. Me? Every difference is important in what I like vs what I don't.

In my experience, vintage amps LOVE tube rolling. Big differences between pre and power tube types. Newer production amps, not so much.
Vintage Marshalls especially love vintage glass.
I will say that, though my amp is not a vintage amp, it is designed in a sense very much like or or at least is very, very reactive to tube changes. Since I know which slot drives basically what, it's also easier to key in on what you are listening for. When one shakes your feet with bass and one is more mid centered, it's fairly obvious! Paul Rivera used to work on old Fenders so it doesn't shock me it is reactive like a vintage amp would be opposed to a 'modern' circuited amp.

Absolutely. It seems as the forum has moved a bit to not care as much about the smaller differences, that can add up to big differences to some ears. Me? Every difference is important in what I like vs what I don't.
It's funny what some people hear as big vs small, right? I enjoy the differences and they affect the way I play and perform. It makes the amp so much more fun to play and it reacts differently, which helps me to riff differently or hear something in an effect for an example I could not quite hear before, which is inspiring. Subtle changes are what defines someone's tone. Funny how many people chase 'signature' sounds but don't seem to realize that the creators got there by doing exactly this; being picky about exactly what they themselves do and do not enjoy. I am gladd i am not getting the wall of "CAN'T HEAR THE DIFFERENCE" When even my wife could hear the different between changing ONE tube in the PI slot. Different stuff is going to have it's own tonal characteristics, no matter how 'minute' it may be to them! I consider many of these tonal changes very obvious and not minute at all, but i am extremely familiar with this gear and environment.

Yeah you’d think if you’re into gear enough to be on a forum you’d wanna know about the details to get the best you can in each category of gear rather than meh this thing sounds close enough for 1/3 the price, so I don’t wanna know about it, not worth it unless you’re a pretentious snob

Last edited:
It's funny what some people hear as big vs small, right? I enjoy the differences and they affect the way I play and perform. It makes the amp so much more fun to play and it reacts differently, which helps me to riff differently or hear something in an effect for an example I could not quite hear before, which is inspiring. Subtle changes are what defines someone's tone. Funny how many people chase 'signature' sounds but don't seem to realize that the creators got there by doing exactly this; being picky about exactly what they themselves do and do not enjoy. I am gladd i am not getting the wall of "CAN'T HEAR THE DIFFERENCE" When even my wife could hear the different between changing ONE tube in the PI slot. Different stuff is going to have its own tonal characteristics, no matter how 'minute' it may be to them! I consider many of these tonal changes very obvious and not minute at all, but i am extremely familiar with this gear and environment.
Yeah I always also try to make my environment when I try stuff as familiar as I can, so when I go to a store to try something I’m serious about I bring at least one amp or more to use as a reference comparison. I don’t make any opinions on anything until I have a fair comparison to really know

Like the situation with your wife, the one time I tried a real Dumble at a local store, I was playing it very loud and this middle aged woman who’s son plays guitar came over to me and I was expecting her to yell at me to turn it down, but instead she just said how amazing the sound was and wanted to know more about it. I never agreed with this whole idea that non-guitarists won’t know the difference. I think they hear as much as we do, they just can’t articulate it as well or be as fully aware of it as much. I mean many of us before playing any instrument heard an amazing guitar sound that made us wanna get into it. I can’t see myself getting that kind of inspiration from the amps I complain about

Last edited:
Yeah I always also try to make my environment when I try stuff as familiar as I can, so when I go to a store to try something I’m serious about I bring at least one amp or more to use as a reference comparison. I don’t make any opinions on anything until I have a fair comparison to really know

Like the situation with your wife, the one time I tried a real Dumble at a local store, I was playing it very loud and this middle aged woman who’s son plays guitar came over to me and I was expecting her to yell at me to turn it down, but instead she just said how amazing the sound was and wanted to know more about it. I never agreed with this whole idea that non-guitarists won’t know the difference. I think they hear as much as we do, they just can’t articulate it as well or be as fully aware of it as much. I mean many of us before playing any instrument heard an amazing guitar sound that made us wanna get into it. I can’t see myself getting that kind of inspiration from the amps I complain about
What a cool experience! Now, I do have to say that my wife is/was a musician for years, playing horn and such. She's been to all of my shows and has heard me do comparisons/play a lot. She probably has a better ear than most but still, I completely agree with you. What a cool experience to have man! Also, I don't play my guitar for THEM, I play it for ME! If I can hear it, that's all that matters. It is my art, isn't it? People are really funny about this stuff. Glad RT members seem to have more sense lol

What a cool experience! Now, I do have to say that my wife is/was a musician for years, playing horn and such. She's been to all of my shows and has heard me do comparisons/play a lot. She probably has a better ear than most but still, I completely agree with you. What a cool experience to have man! Also, I don't play my guitar for THEM, I play it for ME! If I can hear it, that's all that matters. It is my art, isn't it? People are really funny about this stuff. Glad RT members seem to have more sense lol
Yes exactly, we gotta please ourselves first. Some of them at least have more sense lol. I still believe if we can hear it, at least a few others will hear it too whether they’re aware of it or not and it will affect they’re experience listening to our playing

I don’t have a stash of the really valuable NOS glass. But from rolling various brands and price points of new(er) production stuff through my amps, I was able to readily identify which ones were brighter/darker - cleaner/gainier - quieter/noisier. I absolutely believe these details matter. For sure in the psyche of the player. Who isn’t more excited and confident playing either at a gig or in the studio when you know your rig sounds the best you’ve ever heard it?

I don’t have a stash of the really valuable NOS glass. But from rolling various brands and price points of new(er) production stuff through my amps, I was able to readily identify which ones were brighter/darker - cleaner/gainier - quieter/noisier. I absolutely believe these details matter. For sure in the psyche of the player. Who isn’t more excited and confident playing either at a gig or in the studio when you know your rig sounds the best you’ve ever heard it?
Great point!

My wonderful little Marshall DSL20CR has a little more edge/bite on the RED channel than I, and most prefer. So, I was told that simply swapping the V2 over to a 5751 should work nicely, is a straight swap, and has no side effects! I know that a 5751 has 70% of the gain of a 12AX7, so it made sense to me (and it worked exactly like I was told it would!) However, I'm being told in "some" of the online forums that the difference in Plate voltage between these two tubes is a BIG issue, and could damage my amplifier (which concerns me!). Does the plate voltage in both the V1 & V2 slots need to be the same (match)?. While I am a 40+ year guitar tech/repairman, I have limited knowledge about rolling different 9 pin tubes in a Marshall pre-amp slot. Could someone with actual experience and knowledge please give me (a humble old guy) some reliable input on this? I'll owe you big time! Thanks in advance... :cool:

Back