tubes in einstein - again

sden

Hey all,
I know this topic has been discussed before, but looking through all the post I'm still not sure what to think about it.... :confused:
So once again a tube question, sorry for this.
I'd like to change some tubes in my Einstein Combo. I'm looking for a little bit more crystal, transparent and punchy sound, I really like the Modes 2/3 and Channel 2, only Mode 1 could be a touch more in this direction. I know some of you tried different tubes, what would you recommend?
Btw of course its a beast and I just love my Eini but its all about tweaking the sound :D :rock:
Thanks,
Sebastian

hmmm there are ALOT of tube related threads already, specially during the last few days. But I don't really get hat you mean..... you're not quite happy with Mode 1 (clean mode?)

what are you running now? EL34? 6L6?

Jep. Channel 1, Mode 1,
I know there were a lot of threads, but to be honest after reading it all I'm still confused. I run the original tubes.

well I asume its EL34.

that's a common thing, el34s sound best with distorted tones, but the cleans suffer a bit. 6L6 on the other hand will give you awesome cleans but the gain will suffer. You should try KT77....they'll keep the el34 spike but will give you way better cleans.

those are preamp tubes

here's the info on what's what

V1 Used by both channels

V2 Used by channel 2

V3 Used by both channels

V4 Mixer & Loop Driver

V5 Return Driver

V6 Phase Inverter

V7 (just combo) Reverb (12AT7)

if you swap the v1 you'll notice a change in the overall sound of the amp. It's cheaper to "play" with preamp tubes, but they will only affect tightness/more/less gain, but not really "tonal changes". Poweramp tubes are responsable for that. If I'm not mistaken.

Joeytpg":gwjibvhf said:
those are preamp tubes

here's the info on what's what

V1 Used by both channels

V2 Used by channel 2

V3 Used by both channels

V4 Mixer & Loop Driver

V5 Return Driver

V6 Phase Inverter

V7 (just combo) Reverb (12AT7)

if you swap the v1 you'll notice a change in the overall sound of the amp. It's cheaper to "play" with preamp tubes, but they will only affect tightness/more/less gain, but not really "tonal changes". Poweramp tubes are responsable for that. If I'm not mistaken.
:confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

Well.....

By "best" that is hard to define. "We" at Diezel feel we like the KT77's most for a lot of reasons. That is why we are changing to them. Any tube can change "tone" pre amp or power amp. The same exact tubes can sound different to a degree. No two tubes are alike. To say the power amp tubes only effect one thing and or the pre amp tubes only effect one thing is not entirely true. IMO, anything affecting a tonal change is in fact affecting tone.

Back