Two amps at once ... one cab?

FIREBALL":skba458k said:
ke2":skba458k said:
lookslikemeband":skba458k said:
ke2":skba458k said:
Is it like this?:

851899_800.jpg

That's the back.

You can switch it very easily or run both at once.

If you want them both on, just plug ea. into the 8ohm.

If you want to switch them or go between them... a Lehle splitter works well.

So does a Mesa high gain amp switcher (expensive)

or, do what I do...

I use an Ernie Ball Stereo / Pan pedal and pan between the amps.... This way I can blend the amps however I want. OR... use the side footswitch and have them both on at the same time and it works at my volume pedal.

There`s also this alternative, but I don`t think you can use time-based effects in the loop of either amp if you go this route.
Also, this will enable you to utilize the entire cabinet with each amp.

http://www.tonebone.com/tb-headbone-vt.htm

headbone-vt-wedge.jpg
is there a device like this where u can blend both heads in the cab at the same time while using the whole cab

That would be cool. I've been looking but I don't see anything.

amiller":1wfhod4o said:
FIREBALL":1wfhod4o said:
ke2":1wfhod4o said:
lookslikemeband":1wfhod4o said:
ke2":1wfhod4o said:
Is it like this?:

851899_800.jpg

That's the back.

or, do what I do...

I use an Ernie Ball Stereo / Pan pedal and pan between the amps.... This way I can blend the amps however I want. OR... use the side footswitch and have them both on at the same time and it works at my volume pedal.

There`s also this alternative, but I don`t think you can use time-based effects in the loop of either amp if you go this route.

headbone-vt-wedge.jpg
is there a device like this where u can blend both heads in the cab at the same time while using the whole cab

That would be cool. I've been looking but I don't see anything.
:thumbsup: YEP

As mentioned by another poster, the phasing issues I experienced in the past could have been due to the amps being out of phase with each other and not a mic position/distance phase issue. I didn't know that was possible. Anyway, I'm giving the Bones Twincity a hard look...it allows some amp phase correction. I may end up using two cabs after all. :rock: :LOL: :LOL:

http://www.tonebone.com/bones-twincity.htm

amiller":cmzt1kkh said:
As mentioned by another poster, the phasing issues I experienced in the past could have been due to the amps being out of phase with each other and not a mic position/distance phase issue. I didn't know that was possible. Anyway, I'm giving the Bones Twincity a hard look...it allows some amp phase correction. I may end up using two cabs after all. :rock: :LOL: :LOL:

If you are referring to my post, then I didn't mean the amps were out of phase, only that the cabs were firing backwards at the wall and that the reflected waves were reaching the mic at a later time causing phasing, nothing to do with the amps themselves. That's why it is good to get the cab away from the walls when tracking.

JakeAC5253":ap3r9c4o said:
amiller":ap3r9c4o said:

If you are referring to my post, then I didn't mean the amps were out of phase, only that the cabs were firing backwards at the wall and that the reflected waves were reaching the mic at a later time causing phasing, nothing to do with the amps themselves. That's why it is good to get the cab away from the walls when tracking.

Nope, I was referring to Sawall's post. Also, the Bones Twincity has a phasing switch on it specifically to correct AMP phasing.

sah5150":23zm4anc said:
ke2":23zm4anc said:
lookslikemeband":23zm4anc said:
ke2":23zm4anc said:
Is it like this?:

851899_800.jpg

That's the back.

or, do what I do...

headbone-vt-wedge.jpg
What use is the headbone? He wants to run both amps at the same time, not switch between them into 1 cab...

Steve

Put down the axe, it was meant as general information on the subject :)
Someone reading this thread might want to do something similar. Or if he ever should want to use one cab with two amp heads instead.

I`m very aware that you can only run one head at the time with the Headbone.

Sorry for wasting your time :D

ke2":1anprc8l said:
sah5150":1anprc8l said:
lookslikemeband":1anprc8l said:
Is it like this?:

851899_800.jpg

That's the back.

or, do what I do...

headbone-vt-wedge.jpg
What use is the headbone? He wants to run both amps at the same time, not switch between them into 1 cab...

Steve

Put down the axe, it was meant as general information on the subject :)
Someone reading this thread might want to do something similar. Or if he ever should want to use one cab with two amp heads instead.

I`m very aware that you can only run one head at the time with the Headbone.

Sorry for wasting your time :D

Hey, it's all good info. :thumbsup: :rock:

Having been there ....
Check with a 9 volt battery all speakers and cabs are in phase with each other first.
Plug a chord into the speaker cab. At the other end place a 9 volt battery on it's positive and negative terminals. You well hear a "pop". The speakers well move out or in. As long as they all move the same direction you are fine.

You also may need to reverse the phase of one of the two microphones being used.

You can reverse the phase of the amps on the amp or at the speakers ... it well have the same results.

This stuff needs to be taken care of first before you start worrying about the complex phase patterns that are in the room and the placement of everything used. That stuff can be done with your ear or a spectrum analyzer.

Back