Two Notes Le Clean and Amptweaker BRP/TDP

I recently bought a Two Notes Le Clean, as well as Amptweaker Tight Drive Pro and Big Rock Pro. The Amptweakers are incredibly versatile and everything is useful, though I have not opened up the battery hatch to use the fat switches. I needed a good clean tone, and that's where the Two Notes Le Clean comes in, which to be honest, I did not get my from Keith [Sorry Keith!], but it's incredibly useful.

The Le Clean's A channel is really clean and can get a little spanky if you want, or it can get nice and clean. It takes pedals well, and I enjoyed how it sounded with the VFE Pale Horse, The Screamer, and Alpha Dog. The B channel is cool and breaks up, whereas the A channel doesn't -- at least I couldn't get it to. The B channel can get some nice low gain overdrive going, and is even better when encouraged by the TS-style The Screamer or Pale Horse. I also really liked it with my VFE Distortion³, because it sounds like a killer Fender gain channel. If I messed with it more, I could've probably gotten Ted Nugent style tones or maybe even Ace Frehley style Tweed tones. Might have to dig out my Fiery Red Horse from VFE to get some Big Muff style tones going, because apparently he used a muff to overdrive the amp sometimes. Either way, the fusion mode is cool, but will take some getting used to in order to understand a little better how it works and be able to dial it in a little more productively.

Amptweaker's Tight Drive Pro is amazing and sounds to me like it is in the JTM45 area tone-wise. The gain isn't super over the top, but you can use the PlexEQ switch, high gain switch, and boost to get it higher gain. I get enough gain for my purposes with this unit at like 10-11:00 or so on the dial with these switches on and the boost off. With the boost, it's quite over the top for this style of gain and more than enough for me. I also enjoy the VFE The Screamer and Pale Horse with this pedal [as well as the BRP for that matter], though I think the Two Notes Le Clean takes pedals a little bit better than the Amptweakers. It's pretty marginal at best, though. Either take pedals quite well.

Anyways, it can get rock and metal tones, as well as blues and other things you might do with a "lower" gain Marshall-y kinda gain. The metal tone isn't super compressed or scooped, so if that's your idea of a metal tone, then it's not capable of that. It's more along the line of Motorhead, Van Halen, hair metal, and early thrash metal. ie, Megadeth's first 3 albums, Metallica's first two, Anthrax's Spreading and Among the Living, Slayer's first album, etc.

Amptweeaker's BRP is great for rock, of course, but it is more in the Plexi and beyond range gain and tone wise. You could possibly get SLO style tones (or at least something in the ballpark, anyways) if you finagle around with the switches and dials enough. I think it's best suited for Plexi and 800 style tones and more adapt at metal than the TDP, though I think both can do them. Note: If you want scooped and/or compressed, the Tight Metal Pro seems like a better option, though I'm going solely from demos. The BRP can also do higher gain rock tones, of course. I think of the TDP as 60s/70s, while the BRP is 70s/80s. That's just a general idea, but with creativity, you can get quite a bit of overlap and variety out of the two. The EQ, switches, and gain range are quite vast, while the volume is very useful; don't underestimate the volume control's importance in getting great tones from all three devices.

In all, used with the AMT Tube Cake 3w power amp and my Randall Lynch Box 412 with Super V12 speakers, I think all three pedals are quite awesome. If this is something you're interested in, I would check them out. I also put a Way Huge Supa Puss to use, which I enjoy quite a bit.

And I would go into more detail regarding the three, but I don't want to belabor any aspect of the pedals or verge on hyperbole, so I will stop here to keep the post relatively short.

Take care everyone.

Back