UAD Apollo interface: Headphone impedance/SPL?

RyeDaddy

Anyone using a Universal Audio Apollo interface with high impedance headphones? Just ordered an X4 and gave my old Focusrite Scalett and my studio headphones to my son.

Wondering if the Apollo has enough power to run a 300 ohm set of studio headphones from the headphone jack? Anybody running a similar set of cans with the Apollo and find it’s not loud enough?

Apollo is rated at 96mW into a 300 ohm load at the headphone jack, and the headphones in question are 300 ohm, with a sensitivity of 102 dB @ 1V/1kHz. Calculating it, it seems I should be able to get 115dB max at the headphones which is plenty loud enough for monitoring or using plug-ins and mixing but I know with my old Scarlett interface a 280 ohm set of headphones was very quiet and I had to go with low-Z phones, but it’s in a different performance league than the Apollo. Haven’t received a reply from UAD, and I’m going to order the headphones today while Labor Day sales are on.

Thanks for any insight!

Late to this, but yes I use both Sennheiser 300 Ω and Beyerdynamic 600 Ω headphones with my Apollo x8. Used them with an Apollo Solo as well. Works fine, just have to have volume turned up a bit higher.

Back